For those that sell on Ebay
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: For those that sell on Ebay

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

For those that sell on Ebay

I'm very new to selling things on Ebay. I just sold a watch for a good amount of money to a buyer with a feedback of 1. The only item he bought was a very low value item. I might be worrying to much but how to I cover myself from any possible scams. I heard of some scam stories where the seller sends the item but the buyer claims it was not the one he was suppose to receive but upon returning the item to the seller he sends a completely different item back to the seller and gets his money refunded and gets to keep what he was suppose to pay for.

I asked for no feedback buyers to contact me before buying...well he had 1 feedback which isn't zero. He already paid and I'm about to print a shipping label

Anyway, is there anything I should do to cover myself should a problem arise?
    Last edited by lost4daze; June 23rd, 2012 at 03:06.

Re: For those that sell on Ebay

Personally, I wouldn't have sold anything of that value to someone with only a 1. I don't mean to scare you, and he's most likely not going to rip you off, but you're better safe than sorry.

I would also check out this. Just make sure you cover all of your bases.

I always get insurance, shipping confirmation, you can require signature, and I guess you could have a record by taking pictures or a video of the watch, its condition, and of you putting the watch in the box and then taping it shut and subsequently affixing the label to the closed box. I haven't had a problem yet but I typically sell only to CONUS. I did have a zero rating buyer buy a watch from me and took like 2 days to pay and then paypal was "reviewing" the payment, it ended up fine but I appreciate and understand the concern.

Good Luck
    Last edited by Fer Guzman; June 23rd, 2012 at 02:31.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Need to get those stickers that cant be reused (tamper void stickers) put items into a clear plastic bag, then add disclaimer like.
    'If you open the plastic bag, you accept purchase and cannot send it back'.
    Make it very hard for him to switch it if there is any dispute
    As always photographs help immensely.
    Hope it works out, and isn't one of those 1% of bad eggs.
    ~~: Vintage Screwback & Classic/JDM G collector :~~
    Screwbacks {DW5000C.. {DW5200.. {DW5400.. {DW5500C.. {DW5600C-1, 1V, 9V, 9CV, 5600B-3V, 5600D-1.. {DW5700..
    {DW5000-1JF.. {GW5000-1JF..
    Illuminators DW5300 DW6600, DW6600B, DW6600G-9V, DW6695-A, DW069, Dw6900, DW6900BF, DW8300 DW8120
    Other Watches: Rolex 116300 ( DatejustII), Orient Conductor, Sandoz Submariner.

I don't think there's really anything you can do no matter how hard you try. Even if you took a video you'd still have to somehow prove that you didn't have the box in your possession after the video, at which time you could do anything. The tamper-evident stickers wouldn't work if the buyer lies and says it came in a condition other than what was presented, by damaging the watch himself.

Your best bet is to buy insurance and sell to reputable buyers. It's a gamble, but you can increase your likelihood of not being burned by discriminating.

I printed a shipping label with delivery confirmation, signature and insured it. Took some pictures of me packaging the watch so thats about all I could do. Probably overkill but better safe than sorry. Didn't go with the void stickers. I want him to be able to check out the watch. Anyway, I appreciate the replies and if anything does go wrong I'm sure you'll see my rant on here somewhere

I'm on the other end at the moment. Sent a $280 payment 10 days ago and have not heard from the 100% 90+ seller since :( My hard earned money aside, I'm hoping nothing untoward had happened to the seller.

My take is on sites like eBay is their policies are quite balanced, and no different from in-person transactions. Each party just have to take his own precaution.

Sellers should always price their risks in, be clear who and where they will sell to, take photos of package, and send trackable, within a reasonable ship out time.

Buyers should file a dispute if seller delayed shipping, and there is no chance the item will reach within the disputable deadline. That will give some extra protection days.

And communication is critical. Many soured deals are due to third parties like customs and delivery companies.

Now back to hoping I will hear back from that seller...

---

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

eBay is tough on sellers and too accommodating for buyers, IMHO (even though I'm a buyer). As a seller, you're supposed to provide tracking information for domestic delivery. It could be as simple as delivery confirmation or standard tracking. This proves the seller sent the item. From what I recall, they are obligated to get the item in the mail within 7 days. If going beyond that, I would escalate if the seller has not responded.

A good thing to do is mandate the buyer have a minimum of 10 feedback entries with no discrepancies. If less, they must contact you first before bidding to discuss. Also, I would never sell an expensive item until I had at least 5 or more items sold in my history. It's important to establish with eBay that you are a trustworthy seller, by having a positive track record.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

I gave up on the bay, it's just easier - unless i can physically pick the item up face to face, the bay is no go for me... I find these types of hobby specific forums are a better way to buy and sell. Mods do a wonderful job and it's much easier to get truthful firsthand feedback from other members

I've been fortunate through the years using ebay. My first choice is a hobby specific forum. But you don't reach as many people. If something doesn't sell on the forum in a reasonable amount of time, off to ebay. I've been fortunate that I haven't had problems with buyers beyond winning and not paying. I always over-describe my items and have never had an issue once someone has it in their hands. I have recently had issues selling G-shocks that people bid, win, and never pay. But, no money lost in that case, just time.
    Also, keep in mind that buyer feedback is a useless statistic. Sellers can only give positive feedback. So a buyer could have tons of problems, but still has a great 100% feedback score. Unless you sell, there's no way you can have anything other than 100% anymore. Two of my non-paying buyers had scores over 70 with 100%. Who cares, they could've had dozens of problems also.
    Personally, I wouldn't cancel for low feedback. But, do what makes you comfortable. You may be eliminating the only person really interested enough to put up that kind of money for your watch. Definitely get tracking/delivery confirmation on your package. Paypal holds your funds until a few days after it is delivered. If you don't have, and enter tracking through ebay, it's something like a month. Also make sure your international is setup right. Default allows anyone to bid. The only time I've had to intervene in an auction is when someone from Africa (with 0 feedback) bid on an expensive G. I've got my defaults setup now, it takes some effort. One of the problems selling international with ebay is the time you have to wait to get your money. Only expensive shipping methods track properly and expedite customs so you can get past the one month hold imposed by ebay/paypal.
    All that said, ebay is the way to go sometimes. I have been 100% happy with all deals made on this forum, so it is preferred. But, sometimes nobody on the forum wants what you're selling. Heck, sometimes nobody on ebay does either, but it definitely expands your audience.
    Current
    DW-8200MS "Kermit in Smoke" Frogman
    DW-8200F-4 Red Frogman
    GW-200-2 "Navy" Frogman - modded
    DW-5000SP "Bloody Project Team Tough mod"
    DW-9900 Frogman
    DW-5700 with 5600EH crystal "Screwback Eric Haze"
    GW-5000
    Beater G-3110

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information