To those who have dying experience: dying my beige mudman whiter...

Thread: To those who have dying experience: dying my beige mudman whiter...

To those who have dying experience: dying my beige mudman whiter...

I just got the beige mudman and he's awesome. I think he really is the best color to show off his musculature, since the angles, shadows, and three-dimensional structure him are not lost in a darker, absorbing color.

However, I sometimes look at him on my wrist (and every passing mirror...) and think that he was not the color I was expecting. I was expecting him to be slightly whiter. Sometimes I look at him and think he looks "dirty."

:(

Well, I suppose a little RIT dye could help whiten him up. My question is, I have read on this forum somewhere that to remove lettering you have to use goof-off, but I also know that when stealthing, everything turns black, so am I right in assuming when dying something a lighter color (red, yellow, etc.), the black text will stay black? And when dying something black (stealthing) the dark dye will cover up everything...e.g. white text..

So, if I simply put him in a pot of white dye, would the text on him stay black? Or would it turn white/gray?

Thanks!

Re: To those who have dying experience: dying my beige mudman whiter...

u know, ive have never read or seen a beige mud dye white.

will be very interesting to know.

u should let us know how it turns out.
    "My watch buying policy reaches up to $29.99. PM me if interested" - Vintage

I would only attempt to dye him if the lettering stayed black. I would in no way want a white mudman with white lettering...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think you'd get a lighter beige if you dyed it white, Str8flexed.

TTT

The lettering should stay black no matter what you do.
    However, I don't think it's possible to dye something a lighter colour than what it is originally. You could try bleaching it, but I doubt it'll do anything. I've never seen 'white' dye. You can only go darker/straight across with a different colour. Could be wrong though.
    Also, keep in mind that if you do dye it a different colour, you're going to get a mixture of the base and the new colour - i.e. with it being beige originally, you'll get a solid, dark version of whichever colour dye you put it in, rather than a bright, translucent colour.
    Last edited by TTT; July 1st, 2008 at 09:54.

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    The lettering should stay black no matter what you do.
    However, I don't think it's possible to dye something a lighter colour than what it is originally. You could try bleaching it, but I doubt it'll do anything. I've never seen 'white' dye. You can only go darker/straight across with a different colour. Could be wrong though.
    Also, keep in mind that if you do dye it a different colour, you're going to get a mixture of the base and the new colour - i.e. with it being beige originally, you'll get a solid, dark version of whichever colour dye you put it in, rather than a bright, translucent colour.
    Exactly what I was thinking, TTT.

I would also be cautious about using bleach - at least concentrated bleach. In short, when you bleach something, you're breaking bonds on a molecular level, and thus making the material weaker. I would be afraid that too much bleach would make the resin brittle, eat a hole in it, etc. Of course, I am just speculating; different types of bleach have different Na compounds in them and I have no idea what kind of compounds make up the resin material

As far as lettering goes, couldn't you just paint it back black after you do the dye job? The "MUDRESIST" and "DUAL ILLUMINATOR" on the band would disappear, though.

Sorry for rambling. I just woke up and I hope everything I said is right. Sjors will be able confirm/disprove it.

Good luck.

Jimmy

White Rit or Dylon doesn't exist and bleach wont do anything to the color, but it might ruin your watch.

You could try krylon fusion or Plastikote they might work.

There's also this VHT Vinyl Dye, that could do the trick...
    check out this link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VHT-S...toreQQtcZphoto

I don't think there are any published threads on the forum regarding the effectiveness of any of these products, so please report back.

It is not possible to dye a tan bezel to white. You can go darker than the original color, but not lighter.

Oh, okay, thank you all for the responses. I guess I will not attempt to dye it...

Thread Information