WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

For those that work in the field....question?

951 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Sedi 
#1 ·
For those of you that work blue collar jobs / outside none AC jobs that require a more hands on approach (plus sweat).

Do you guys wear cheaper watches to work since you might bang it up against things or you just wear what you favor?

I tried other Gshocks but never really enjoy the cheaper/lighter feel (Even my Protrek).
Ever since I got my frogman I wear mine for work/gym everyday pretty much but maybe if I'm off I'll rotate into my orange monster seiko.

After every wear I tend to wash it down with cold water under the sink.

What do you guys do?

thanks

#2 ·
Don't get me wrong, I love my autos, but they suck when it comes to abuse. They were NOT even remotely made for the kind of abuse that a G can take. So unless I'm indoors and not doing anything dirty, they're never on my wrist. For anything remotely rough I only use my Gs, ProTreks or Core. And that's not a matter of preference, it's a matter of good sense - as I just posted on another thread, you should always use the right tool for the job.

#7 ·
But would you choose a cheaper G versus a more expensive G for the job?

Such as one of the none special edition square G versus say a final frogman as a daily wear?
Not that I have any fancy G (though some of them I definitively didn't buy for cheap), I wear ALL of them basically on a daily basis. However, if things are going to get dirty, I wear my designated "dirty job watch" - PRG-70YT. I also don't wear my G-7900A-RD on mountain bike rides, because I'm afraid sweat may stain the red resin (on commuting rides I wear it no problem). Other then that, I'll use anyone that is on rotation. My autos I basically only wear when I'm out or on weekends, when I don't ride a bike.

#5 ·
I'm not a "collector" and like to use the things I buy. I would still wear my expensive special edition watch, if I don't wear it how will I enjoy it?

I rotate my watches but always will wear a G for work, working out or anytime I need a watch to take a beating. If I get a lot of sweat/grease/grime I usually give it a scrub with some handsoap and dry. FWIW I don't have a Frog and my most expensive G was $150...

#8 ·
It depends upon just how abrasive things get. If your watch wrist bangs and scrapes against things frequently, I'd just take off the watch before engaging in the activity. Loop the watch around a belt loop on the side that will experience the least trauma. But, if it's one of those things where it'll be a once in a while "BANG" or "scrrrrrrrrrrrape" at random, then the watch will definitely take some abuse. I wouldn't wear a Frogman doing that. I'd toss on something cheaper.

Bottom line, the resin bezel takes the most abuse. If you get a spare bezel and strap for safe keeping, you can then scratch up your G-Shock and not worry, knowing that at any point you can refresh the watch to look like new. Of course this assumes you don't heavily scratch the crystal. You could buy a spare crystal (if the part is still available) for just that purpose. But if it's a 5600 or 6900, get the bullbars to protect it and you'll be all set.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.