Thoughts on Frogman DW-8201WC?

Thread: Thoughts on Frogman DW-8201WC?

Thoughts on Frogman DW-8201WC?

Hello - I have an opportunity to trade for a Frogman DW-8201wc. Does anyone have any thoughts on these watches? I've never held or worn one, so just thought I would ask. How big is it on the wrist? If anyone can include a wrist shot, it would be appreciated.

In addition, I am curious how the 'clearness' of the band is - does it fade or turn opaque over time? In the pictures, it almost looks fragile, like it would be prone to tearing or wear.

The trader said the battery is dead - is it hard to change the battery?

Thanks - Adam
    The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Re: Thoughts on Frogman DW-8201WC?

Don't know much about the G-Shocks. I"m sure someone knowledgeable will come in here to help you out. But from what I have seen, the Frogman is apparently really hard to get a hold of. I'm just starting to learn about G-Shocks.
    That Ain't an Igloo, thats my Watch. That ain't snow, thats my Chain. That Ain't an ice tray, thats my teeth. That's not a snowcone, thats my ring
    - Orient Orange Mako
    - Orient "Pepsi" Mako
    - Orient Star (Rose Gold w/ power reserve)
    - Android Tattooed Banker (Yellow)
    - Movado
    - G-Shock 5600, 6900

I really like the DW-8201WC Frogman. There's four variations, but they're all clear jellies. They came out 11 years ago though, so discoloration is a common issue. The DW-8200 models look huge on the wrist. They look even bigger than the current GW-200 Frogman ones IMO.

You'll probably want to order a new case gasket from Casio when you change the battery. It should be no problem if you do it properly with care.
    Last edited by Riley; August 30th, 2009 at 01:19.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bigolac View Post
    Hello - I have an opportunity to trade for a Frogman DW-8201wc. Does anyone have any thoughts on these watches? I've never held or worn one, so just thought I would ask. How big is it on the wrist? If anyone can include a wrist shot, it would be appreciated.

In addition, I am curious how the 'clearness' of the band is - does it fade or turn opaque over time? In the pictures, it almost looks fragile, like it would be prone to tearing or wear.

Thanks - Adam
    Hi Adam,

I have 2 models. Both arrived with near dead batteries, no problems to change them. I also had Casio do a 'full' service on them. They have a screw-on back.

Mine were very carefully cared for (BNIB), thus both straps are still 100% clear.

They do have quite a wrist presense, I'll take some pictures in the morning. You can always dye the strap if it is too yellow.

Cheers,

Pieter

Is it true, that only 1500 GW-8210 wc were made?

Welcome to the forum Fabio36.

Maybe 1,500 of each model. There was four different DW-8201 models. Casio usually makes at least 1,000 of each. I've never seen an exact number for these though, and I don't think any of them are numbered.

Ups, I didn't even say hallo

Hallo

Riley, thanks for quick answer. I've just bought one of these and seller informed me about qunatity. Anyway, I love all G's and I don't really care about uniqueness

Quote Originally Posted by bigolac View Post
    8200's are dive watches and therefore need to be tested for waterproofness after a battery change. On the back of the GW-8200 it says to send to a CASIO authorized service center for battery change. It's not difficult to change the battery, but you want to make sure that once you have done so, the watch is still sealed per ISO 6425.

The only problem I have with buying a "dead battery watch" is the possibility that the watch no longer functions even if you have changed the battery. Not likely, but you might want to get some guarantee if you're going to pay to have it serviced.

Good luck though, the GW8200 frogs are awesome looking.

Thread Information