Thoughts on the GW810? (Steel multiband)

Thread: Thoughts on the GW810? (Steel multiband)

Thoughts on the GW810? (Steel multiband)

Hey, does anybody have one of these? Any feedback on it? I have the MTG920DA-1V (Black SS solar atomic with the 3 eye) and it is great, but I am thinking about getting a similar one in the steel/silver color. The 5 band atomic looks nice, although I don't imagine I'll find myself wishing I could sync the time in Germany all that often ;) - I do like the circles at the top. I am thinking adding an inverted display to the collection would be nice.

But if I recall I was searching for threads and someone said it didn't seem as solidly built as say the MTG900DA-8V, which I could go pick up at Walmart for $60 something and have in my hands right now.

Cool Re: Thoughts on the GW810? (Steel multiband)

I have the GW800D-1V (has the same bezel and bracelet) which although has a different module number and display has all the same functions as the GW810. I got mine from the local Costco for $80 + tax. I like the tough solar and multi band 5 waveceptor feature.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
    honi soit qui mal y pense
    http://forums.collectors.com/attachments//trozau_ani.gif
    gold - the barbarous relic!

Does anybody really know what time it is?
    Robert Lamm of the group Chicago, 1969

Re: Thoughts on the GW810? (Steel multiband)

Quote Originally Posted by sean2tall View Post
    Hey, does anybody have one of these? Any feedback on it? I have the MTG920DA-1V (Black SS solar atomic with the 3 eye) and it is great, but I am thinking about getting a similar one in the steel/silver color. The 5 band atomic looks nice, although I don't imagine I'll find myself wishing I could sync the time in Germany all that often ;) - I do like the circles at the top. I am thinking adding an inverted display to the collection would be nice.

But if I recall I was searching for threads and someone said it didn't seem as solidly built as say the MTG900DA-8V, which I could go pick up at Walmart for $60 something and have in my hands right now.
    I have the resin strap version. It is light so may not be ideal if you are after solidity. Stopwatch doesn't show time of day, countdown (60 min) does. Alarm number 1 (of 5) can be set to snooze (go off every 5 minutes) which I find invaluable - without it watch alarms are too quiet to be reliable. Reverse display takes getting used to but ine if its not your primary watch.

BTW are there different reverse display colors used by Casio? Mine looks a pale gold color - the photo above looks more blue-green - or is it just the way they are photographed?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info.

I think there may be different display colors . . . at least for the MTG900DA-8V . . I have seen that one with a gold background (with the positive display) and with the usual silvery type color.

When the negative display goes to power save mode, does it turn all black?

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

you cannot compare a MTGxxx with a GWxxx. the MTG series is a big bore caliber while the GW series is far less massive constructed. I do own a MTG-911 and a GW-810BXD and therefore I can tell you. however, if you like a low-profile watch you will be very happy with the GW-810 because its only 13,5-14 mm thick, while the MTG measures 16mm. from lug to lug the GW measures 54mm, the MTG 61mm. the weight is 110 grams (GW with four bracelet links removed) vs 122 grams (MTG also with four bracelet links removed).

the negative display of my GW-810BXD is a bit harder to read then a positive display, but nevertheless offers excellent legibility. however, you may also want to consider the GW-810D-1A which has a positive display:

http://www.casio.com/products/Timepi...uct/GW810D-1A/

another alternative might be the GW-800 series which has the same features and the same case but the display is not so cluttered:

http://www.casio.com/products/Timepi...uct/GW800D-1V/

basically you can't go much wrong with all of those models, I like my GW-810BXD, not exactly the best g-shock I got, but still a very nice one.

regards, holger

Thread Information