WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Wrist comfort is everything, get over the screwback nostalgia and ...

• sell the other squares and stick with the GW-M5600/5610!

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • hospitalize yourself, i.e. buy a GW-T5030C immediately!

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • eat more cake!

Votes: 11 57.9%

Thread for heretics: GW-M5600/5610 outranks all other squares regarding wrist comfort?!

4K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  John_Harrison 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey G-fellas:

I recently strapped on my well neglected GW-M5600 and found it to be outrageously comfortable. To the point where I did not want to exchange it for one of my other squares :think:. In particular I prefer the light weight of the GW-M5600 compared to the GW-5000 -- despite its softer strap. After that experience I forced myself to do a wrist comfort experiment, i.e. comparing all my squares and came up with the following list (most comfortable watch first):

1. GW-M5600/5610
2. DW-5600E (yes the cheap one)
3. GW-5000
4. Vintage models (like 5000, 5200, 5600c)

Of all the models the caseback of the GW-M5600/5610 in combination with its low mass really makes it stand out.

Probably I need professional G-treatment to get back on the screwback track?

JH

#4 ·
Well I just put some of them on the scale:

48g GW-M5600
52g 5600E
64g DW-5600C
74g GW-5000

So there seems to only one model which weighs less, i.e. the S5600 (47g according to Casio). But I guess that will never be noticeable even in direct comparison (in particular the strap on the S5600 is quite stiff -- and ugly).

JH

P.S.: BTW I am not tempted by the GW-T5030, but maybe you can change that with some pics as soon as yours arrives?

#5 ·
Interesting, I never had a 5500, but I find it quite hard to imagine that it is more comfortable than the M5600/5610, in particular due to the larger case. BTW I usually do not find wider straps more comfortable, but of course your recommendation would be a good excuse to buy the GW-5530...just check the comfort of it of course...

JH

#8 ·
Everyone's different. I found my gwm5610 the least comfortable. I was only able to tolerate it after I put a dw5600ms strap on it. Even a gw5000 strap was unbearable. The straps little horizontal ribs that are close to the case dig into the bony protrusion of my wrist. The MS strap has one less rib and works perfect. The gwm5610 case has a lug to lug dimension that is a few millimeters shorter than the 5600e or the screwbacks and this small difference makes a huge difference for me.

#9 ·
I find the composite bracelet featured on the GW-M5600BC/M5610BC is the most comfortable for me, because it's fully articulated. The resin band must bend to conform, while the bracelet segments naturally follow the contour of your wrist. Of course, the material of the bracelet is hard, so pushing against it firmly can be uncomfortable vs. a resin strap... but then it's all about how you wear it, right?

As for resin, the GW-5000 resin is one of the softest. I have a GW-2310 and find it comparable. I've also found the GD-350 to be comfortable, as the "wings" seem to work well with my wrist shape.

#17 ·
I find the composite bracelet featured on the GW-M5600BC/M5610BC is the most comfortable for me, because it's fully articulated. The resin band must bend to conform, while the bracelet segments naturally follow the contour of your wrist. Of course, the material of the bracelet is hard, so pushing against it firmly can be uncomfortable vs. a resin strap... but then it's all about how you wear it, right?

As for resin, the GW-5000 resin is one of the softest.
+1. My GW-M5610BC wears like an old broke in pair of jeans. Awesome. Just about a perfect feel.

I also put the composite bracelet on my Gw-5000, but the jury is still out on whether or not thats more comfortable than the nice resin strap that came with it. The extra weight if the screwback has a different feel with the bracelet.
I'd say the comfort is about even between the bracelet and the strap on the GW-5000.

#15 ·
My most comfortable watch is my MTG-1000. The big, flat, four-screw case back sits perfectly across my radius and ulna.

#19 ·
I bought a G-5600KG to make a custom watch, the watch is the most comfortable watch I ever tried.

#21 ·
That is indeed awesome, so if you get rid of the metal keeper (how are these BTW, never had a G with one but always wonder if they are less comfortable than the resin ones?) you can probably shave of another 8 grams (or even more?).

Still, I guess the GW-S5600 wins over all other square Gs in the mass department.

JH

P.S.: We need pictures & videos of your T5030 (but I guess that is obvious).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.