Time Accuracy

Thread: Time Accuracy

Time Accuracy

The majority of non-atomic G-Shocks keep time accuracy of within 15 seconds per month from my understanding. So my question is, with any given model (such as a DW-5600E), does this time accuracy remain right up until the battery dies, or does the watch slowly lose the plot with its timekeeping as the battery starts to fade?

lvt

Re: Time Accuracy

From what I know a digital watch would lost a bit of accuracy when the battery is low but you are unlikely to notice it without a timing machine.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

I agree with lvt - unless one wears the watch around the clock external temperature fluctuations will have a much bigger impact on accuracy than a fading battery.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Quote Originally Posted by Watchphile View Post
    I agree with lvt - unless one wears the watch around the clock external temperature fluctuations will have a much bigger impact on accuracy than a fading battery.
    Agreed. The power required to keep time is not much at all. Most of the power spent is in the backlight and in the digital display. So, you may see the digits fade out momentarily after using the back light, but time accuracy will not be affected all that much. It's a moot point however, because changing the battery will require resetting the time. I suppose a watch maker could incorporate a capacitor that reserves enough power for time keeping to last about 5-10 minutes, enough to compensate for a battery change and then not miss a beat in time keeping. But given how infrequent a battery needs to be changed, the need isn't there.

Btw, the accuracy rating is the same for both atomic and non-atomic, with the assumption of the atomic not synchronizing.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Time Accuracy

A couple of lpoints.
    1) One of the characteristics of Lithium batteries is that they give almost100 percent to the end. So as you said above-- it doesn't take much power to keep time.
    2). Not gonna argue this cause I'm not sure BUT -- when they say that they're accurate to +|-15 seconds per month, I wonder if it's necessarily one sided. As in-- is a fast watch always fast, or could it be a couple of seconds up one month and a couple down another? Technically, if that's the case, it could be bang on years later.
    3) You guys are gonna love this one as a testament to Casio product precision.
    I recently purchased a Mudman gw9000. I love it almost as much as my Riseman. Very nice watch. It screams solid quality. Anyhow, the watch was probably sitting in some Amazon affiliate's warehouse somewhere because when I went into the menu, it indicated that it hadn't done a sync for approx 5 months.
    Guess what? It was 1 1/2 seconds ahead of my watches that sync every night.
    Good job Casio.
    Last edited by Tedzone; October 17th, 2013 at 17:50.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

^ Actually, lithium batteries can drop below the standard voltage as they near exhaustion. That's why many LED flashlights have built-in regulation to ensure the output intensity does not waver until the very end (and actually, flashlights that self-regulate are a must to help preserve the life of the battery, as over discharge can ruin a lithium cell). But yes, the overall drain on a watch battery is a very slow trickle, compared to the short high intensity draw of a flashlight.

Out of all the CASIO watches I've owned, just two of them have exhibited a minor time loss. The rest of them gain time. And as a quartz crystal ages, the time keeping will drift in a positive direction, increasing the rate of gain. But it is true that environmental factors can affect time keeping for a period, varying the rate of time drift. I have one watch that I time adjusted and for the first month I had like a +0.5 sec/mo deviation. When the seasons changed from warm to cool, it started losing -2 sec/mo. But then when temps warmed up again, it was like +3 sec/mo.

That is outstanding accuracy on your GW-9000. A definite keeper. My experience on average has been that my G-Shocks with waveceptor turned off will gain more time than those without it. My theory is that CASIO skips a calibration step with atomic sync watches, because it's ultimately unnecessary. Of course, it does leave open the chance that a watch might naturally be accurate as-is and not even require any calibration, with or without atomic sync. Like yours.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Wow! Thanks for sharing your knowledge, guys. Of my couple dozen Gs, most of them gain about 5 seconds each month (spending most of their time in ordinary household light at room temperature, except on the days I wear them..) Probably the worst is my G-5600B, but even then, that only gains about 10 seconds...

Thread Information