Is it time for a New Frogman Paradigm?
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Is it time for a New Frogman Paradigm?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is it time for a New Frogman Paradigm?

I keep wishing for a Lefty Frogman, but with such a limited target maybe:

It is time for Casio to create another line of Non-Assymetrical Frogmans! Like a big version of the MRG-1, minus the biodegradable resin. Call it the MRG-Prime. All metal, all digital. Time visible in all modes. Screwback, but with a central battery hatch, CR2032 cell, and reset contacts accessible from there. Two adjustable alarm volumes, loud and raise the dead loud. Two adjustable backlight levels, stealth and normal. An actual LED light (in an eye, of course), red, green or amber, with two light levels, map-reading bright, and light-your-path bright. Zulu adaptors. Screwed down removable bullbars.

If Casio does not fill this niche, then eventually some other company will. Freestyle (remember the Billet?), or Victorinox, or RipCurl. Maybe even Nixon, or Fossil, or Guess. But I really want the toughness, build quality and dependablity of the G.

I hope Casio is looking at stuff like this going forward, to stem the tide of humans who are abandoning watches for the seductive functions of the smartphone. Give people a reason to wear watches again, Casio! And take my money.
    nonconformulaic likes this.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Re: Is it time for a New Frogman Paradigm?

Casio had proposed this concept, from the 2013 G-Shock The World event:

This concept Frogman would have an air release valve. I expect it would also have built-in Bluetooth, so that data can be easily transferred from the watch to a mobile phone or other computer device. My hope would be that depth indication would be included. However... I certainly hope that LCD display would be more conventional. The skewed perspective looks too trendy, IMHO.
    zabat likes this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

I clicked the Like button, because I could not see a Dislike button, LOL! jk.

I remember seeing those. And I, for some odd reason, had purged those from my memory...

(Thanks)
    Phreddo likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    Casio had proposed this concept, from the 2013 G-Shock The World event:

This concept Frogman would have an air release valve. I expect it would also have built-in Bluetooth, so that data can be easily transferred from the watch to a mobile phone or other computer device. My hope would be that depth indication would be included. However... I certainly hope that LCD display would be more conventional. The skewed perspective looks too trendy, IMHO.
    Actually, thanks. No, really. I HAD forgot about those, and they are relevant to the discussion. And what the heck are those three beveled circular objects on the "Frog"? Lights? Frogman-Light?
    xevious likes this.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

You're welcome, Zabat. I screen grabbed from the G-Shock video. Those are actually not lights but indicators. It's a weird "3D" kind of aesthetic, which I think looks too much like a gimmick. Concepts can be like that. I do not expect they'd make it look like this. OTOH, the Iceman and Heatman are more credible prototypes. If they do make those, I hope the lug end pieces won't protrude like that because they'll be a PITA with catching on things (you don't want that with a watch when doing extreme sports!).
    zabat likes this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Quote Originally Posted by zabat View Post
    I keep wishing for a Lefty Frogman, but with such a limited target ...
    I'm a righty so Frogs are fine for me, but I fully sympathize with my lefty brothers' needs zabat!

I always thought it would be a pretty simple design choice to make the Frog lefty-friendly using a bit more symmetrical button and face design. With a little better adherence to symmetrical layouts Casio could make it so the Frog module could be removed and rotated 180 degrees, thus empowering lefties everywhere. True, the bezel writing would then be upside down, but for the minority of us who rock Frogs as beaters none would care. Doubt it will ever happen though, as "lefties who wear Frogs as beaters and don't care about aesthetics" is a pretty small slice of the already niche market of "people who are fine paying $400+ for a weird asymmetrical digital 'dive' watch made by Casio that is roundly dismissed as outdated by most real divers".

It is time for Casio to create another line of Non-Assymetrical Frogmans! Like a big version of the MRG-1, minus the biodegradable resin. Call it the MRG-Prime. All metal, all digital. Time visible in all modes. Screwback, but with a central battery hatch, CR2032 cell, and reset contacts accessible from there. Two adjustable alarm volumes, loud and raise the dead loud. Two adjustable backlight levels, stealth and normal. An actual LED light (in an eye, of course), red, green or amber, with two light levels, map-reading bright, and light-your-path bright. Zulu adaptors. Screwed down removable bullbars.
    Sign me up and tell me where to send my wallet! I would love to see Casio actually put the stupid "eye" to good use! A little spinning wheel of triangular LCD segments might have seemed like a cool "feature" in the early 1990s, but its time has long passed. The persistence of the "eye" is as baffling to me as it would be if Cadillac still put "fins" on their sedans ala 1959 Eldorado.
    zabat likes this.

It is time for Casio to create another line of Non-Assymetrical Frogmans!
    Sooooo... you mean "symmetrical", hahaha
    zabat and solar g-shocker like this.

If they were to make an affordable ISO-diver rated square, with tough solar, depth and time that activate automatically in water and a resettable timer showing seconds I believe they would sell a metric f-ton as computer backups. I personally would buy one of every colour they want to make out of sheer gratitude...
    zabat likes this.

I keep wishing for a Lefty Frogman, but with such a limited target maybe:

If Casio does not fill this niche, then eventually some other company will. Freestyle (remember the Billet?), or Victorinox, or RipCurl. Maybe even Nixon, or Fossil, or Guess. But I really want the toughness, build quality and dependablity of the G.

I hope Casio is looking at stuff like this going forward, to stem the tide of humans who are abandoning watches for the seductive functions of the smartphone. Give people a reason to wear watches again, Casio! And take my money.
    resin rot was always good for a couple cheap laughs but is it really relevant anymore since they changed the "recipe" in the 2000s? has anyone seen, heard or read about resin from say 2005 that has crumbled? i mean that guy hiking found a 9000 mudman which was first released in 2006, not neccessarily bought then but out in the elements long enough to acquire rust like fungus and probably ideal conditions for rot to occur, yet it was fine after a clean. if it was the resin of old it wouldve fallen apart at the sight of its own shadow lol

as for the frogman (or any mythical watch) with every bell and whistle, i always think of this haha

the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

Quote Originally Posted by soulbridgemedia View Post
    ...as for the frogman (or any mythical watch) with every bell and whistle, i always think of this haha

But that's a great looking ca... OK, I see your POV.

But I am just proposing a different set of bells, and removing some whistles: No: radio reset, no solar power. And forgoing: Sunrise/Sunset times, World time, Zombie alerts. Just the important stuff, LOL. OK, it's different for everyone! But that was what I wanted. The battery hatch, two level lights and alarms would be new, I think, for G-Shocks. It's not like anemic alarms in modern G-Shocks are a new complaint. New stuff = new customers. Maybe. Or at least it might tempt them to try them out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information