Timeless or Out of Style
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: Timeless or Out of Style

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Off Topic post Timeless or Out of Style

Some argue that the much beloved squares are timeless in design; others assert that they evoke that "old man" image. Many of us agree that they're relevant design-wise. There are many G-shocks, that in my limited experience, appear dated, having faded amid the flurry of new releases. Inspired by the fwupow's thread on the forgotten years, I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on G-shocks that will be appreciated or forgotten for their design years later.

The popular "square" and "round" designs -- perpetually stylish?

Name:  DW6900gw5000.jpg
Views: 1644
Size:  66.7 KB

vs

Newer designs akin to the Rangeman:
    Name:  Masteroftheleements.jpg
Views: 1619
Size:  107.7 KB

vs seemingly forgotten designs

Name:  G2300_06.jpg
Views: 1618
Size:  62.0 KB
    (G-2300 Courtesy of Sjors)

Why do certain designs stand the test of time while others fade away?
    Iyonk, Crater, Flex1493 and 6 others like this.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Re: Timeless or Out of Style

I see squares as THE premier Casio timeless design, or have I just unitentionally
    revealed my age?

The squares are timeless like Levi's 501 jeans. They are something that will just always be around, for decades. I can't think of many G-shocks that have a dated look. If someone was wearing a G-2300, I doubt anyone would stop them and ask why they are wearing such a dated watch. To the average person, it looks like something that could be found in any store today. Maybe if someone was wearing a Wademan or a Stargate G-shock it might look very out of place in 2014.
    Sjors, Iyonk, mgscheue and 5 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The 5600 square is a timeless design, like a dark suit that never goes out of style.
    Ottovonn and Flex1493 like this.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

I think it the early '00s Casio made a lot of "timeless" G-Shock designs. I do not mean models like the G-8000 and G-8100, but the more subtile models, which you do not automatically refer to as a "G-Shock", like the G-520D, GW-300, GW-500, G-800 and GW-700, but are still models you can wear today and do not look out of style. For me the square is the ultimate form of the G-Shock, although I prefer the more rounder types mostly (except for the GW(X)-56 King).

Here some examples:

G-800

G-520D-4AV

G-700D

GW-300

GW-700

Cheers,

Sjors
    Ottovonn, nigelw, Flex1493 and 1 others like this.
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Square is timeless classic that would never out of style (says me as square fanatic! hahaha)

my hollygrail is GW-5000. the atomic is useless here...but i just love the monochromatic theme. but the main reason was i want to have a screwback square... thank God last year casio release plenty of screwback anniversary models.now that i have DW-5030's, its help me to calm the itch... still wish to have one though hehehe.
    Ottovonn and Flex1493 like this.

The ROUND designs are timeless. (see Sjors photos above)

Within the last year I have bought 3 of the 2310s to catch up on what I missed, and they are still available and probably still manufactured because THEY SELL.

Last edited by yankeexpress; February 28th, 2014 at 17:33.

Name:  lungman.jpg
Views: 1504
Size:  23.4 KB

Extreme examples like the lungman seem a bit dated to me while some older designs look like they'll stand the test of time. Maybe subtlety, as Sjors mentioned, is key?
    Maybe the Rangeman might look dated a decade from now.

Do you guys think that there's a design aesthetic among the newer models that'll approach the timelessness of the square or DW-6900 variants? I'm not sure how to describe the Rangeman or current Mudman look: edgy and somewhat blocky. As in Casio will continue to reproduce the same or similar design in numerous variations?
    Last edited by Ottovonn; February 28th, 2014 at 17:06.
    nigelw, Flex1493, Iyonk and 2 others like this.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Love 'em dearly, but these 056 are dated!

Ottovonn, nigelw, Flex1493 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottovonn View Post
    Name:  lungman.jpg
Views: 1504
Size:  23.4 KB

Extreme examples like the lungman seem a bit dated to me while some older designs look like they'll stand the test of time. Maybe subtlety, as Sjors mentioned, is key?
    Maybe the Rangeman might look dated a decade from now.

Do you guys think that there's a design aesthetic among the newer models that'll approach the timelessness of the square or DW-6900 variants? I'm not sure how to describe the Rangeman or current Mudman look: edgy and somewhat blocky. As in Casio will continue to reproduce the same or similar design in numerous variations?

I totally agree that extreme examples are more likely to look dated. Another example is the old style of riseman that looks like a starfish. Of course, there are some people who collect them specifically because they have a unique look. Like a 1959 Cadillac with the huge tail fins.

I don't think the newer mudman (9300) looks edgy and blocky. Its design is probably much more likely to survive the test of time than the Rangeman. I can see Casio reshaping the Rangeman with future editions, kind of like how they imagined several versions of the Frogman over the years. The 9300 Mudman is pretty much a perfect watch all around, I can't really see how they would improve on its physical design.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information