A Timex convert - Searching for a G-Shock

Thread: A Timex convert - Searching for a G-Shock

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A Timex convert - Searching for a G-Shock

Hello,

I have been a loyal Ironman for many years but it has come time for me to convert to the workhorse of a G-shock.

I've been reading up and it looks like I'm in the right place for some advice. I'm looking for a very basic G-shock with a good backlight and the tricky one so far is I'm looking for the light button to be on the upper righthand side as I'm not overly fond of the 5th button feature.

So let me know what ya'll think; I look forward to any recommendations you can provide.

Edit: I suppose I should give some 'must' need in a watch:
    Water proof
    Countdown timer (the biggest must of all)
    Solid light (used extensively during dim to no light)
    And good alarm features
    Last edited by BearFlagger; November 17th, 2007 at 02:26.

Re: A Timex convert - Searching for a G-Shock

The G9100 Gulfman is worth a look. It's not very 'basic', but it has the light button top right, and the buttons are very easy to press on this model. It's light, having a titanium back and screws, the display is very clear and the light is very good. They can be found for a little over £30 / $60 US.
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

While I'm not an expert at G-shocks at this time, I think either a dw-5600 may be a good choice... simple display, can be had for 30-40 bucks and I believe some have said it was one of the best modules (movements) put in a G. Just an idea...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by muxinick View Post
    While I'm not an expert at G-shocks at this time, I think either a dw-5600 may be a good choice... simple display, can be had for 30-40 bucks and I believe some have said it was one of the best modules (movements) put in a G. Just an idea...
    It's certainly a contender.
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

I second 5600 or a new gulfman...

With one diffenence: most 5600 models do not show time in timer or stopwatch mode. New gulfman DOES show current time in timer but NOT in stopwatch mode.

Also, new gulfman wears rather bulky (very similar to timex shock) while 5600 wears a lot smaller.

Good luck in your quest.

One advantage of the Gulfman over the DW5600 is, if easy access to the light is a priority, the 5600 has a small, fiddly button whereas the Gulfman has a big, easy one. I'm afraid the G9100 doesn't show current time in either stopwatch or CDT mode though (unless there's a setting I've not found).

It's a shame to rule out basic models with a 5th light button. They're generally not awkward to use, and you rule out some great models like the DW6900, G2300 and DW9052.

The DW-5600E looks like a good match. You get:

1. 200 meter water resistance
    2. 24 hour countdown timer that you can set to the second
    3. Time viewable in CDT and stopwatch modes.
    4. Very bright backlight
    5. One alarm, but with very good features
    6. Light button is on lower-right corner

It's a very comfortable G-Shock, and less bulky than most. It will accept strap adapters, so you can convert to a one-piece dive strap.

The G-5600 will get you:

1. Solar power
    2. 200 meter water resistance
    2. 24 hour countdown timer
    3. Time viewable in CDT mode.
    4. Decent backlight with auto-EL
    5. Five daily alarms
    6. Light button is on top-right corner

It's a very comfortable G-Shock, and less bulky than most. It will accept strap adapters, so you can convert to a one-piece dive strap.

If you have the big bucks, the Frogman is a great watch:

1. Solar power
    2. Titanium case
    3. Screwback
    4. 3 daily alarms
    5. Decent backlight with auto-EL
    6. 24 hour countdown timer that you can set to the second
    7. ISO certified 200 meter water resistance
    8. Light button is on top-right corner

This is a massive G-Shock, with a rather large strap. It will accept strap adapters, so you can convert to a one-piece dive strap.

Last edited by Buzzbait; November 17th, 2007 at 04:28.

You haven't specified a budget BearFlagger, and I assume you really just want one tough bastard of a watch with the above features so I'll suggest the atomic/solar Gulfman (GW9100) which will cover your feature needs, have a nice clear display, look great and be basically maintenance free.

It's just been reduced a bit more at HB...
    http://www.hbwatches.com/gw9100-1-5-...tch-p-456.html

I second the g-9100 Gulfman... great dual illuminator, clear display, added bonus of tide/moonphase and best of all, titanium back & screws such that it's rust resistant!

Off Topic post Re: A Timex convert - Searching for a G-Shock

From the outside looking in some might say this is just silly but I can't believe how hard of a choice this actually is. Thank you for your suggestions.

Lexxorcist, I couldn't agree with you more and the DW6900, G2300 and DW9052 are all in the realm of what I'm looking for. I'm a sucker for those classic basic looks and even moreso for the rounder faces.

I was also looking at some of the higher end watches. I had no idea G-shocks produced nicer looking metal watches. Great: now I'm going to have get multiple watches. Everyday roughneck G shock and a nicer shock to wear with more formal attire.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information