Timex might have outsmarted Casio G-Shock!
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Timex might have outsmarted Casio G-Shock!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Timex might have outsmarted Casio G-Shock!

I just got the Timex Expedition Shock XL watch. It was design for the military. And, you know what. It really was, because a lot of military rifle shooters have their watch on their right hand, and the buttons lock out on the left hand side so you don't hit the buttons when you bend your wrist. If you wear the watch on the left hand you hit the buttons when you bend your wrist.

Name:  356320_450_45.jpg
Views: 1151
Size:  61.4 KB
    Last edited by G-Shocks Are Cool.; December 21st, 2013 at 00:52.
    The MTG is retired and the 5600 too. Right now, the only working G-Shocks that I use and enjoy are the Riseman GW9200-1 and the GW6900-1

If I can own a Rolex Submariner I would. I know they are tough too, their homages are tough. Trust me.

G-Shock MTG930DA-8V, G-Shock GW-5600J-1. G-Shock Riseman GW9200-1, G-Shock GW6900-1

Oh! Canada! We stand on cars, and freeze!

Re: Timex might have outsmarted Casio G-Shock!

"Outsmart", meh...
    "Outpretty", not so much...
    “Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to was never there, and where you are is no good unless you can get away from it". Flannery O'Connor.

Neat looking watch.

I have to wonder though, can anyone actually set off their G-Shock buttons when they bend their wrist?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

No. With the button protectors it would be impossible, as far as I would think.

OWN
    G-Shock
    GW-530A, GA-100-1A1, G-9300-1 Mudman
    Marathon
    JSAR
    Seiko
    SKX007K2
    Swatch
    High Wonder

INCOMING
    Maratac
    Large Pilot 2013
    Russian
    AChS-1 pannel clock

Quote Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
    I have to wonder though, can anyone actually set off their G-Shock buttons when they bend their wrist?
    One of the G-Shocks' design theosophy was to have buttons that are well protected buttons from dropping or accidental actuation.

From all the G-Shocks that I have handled, its difficult for me to imagine how bending my wrist can accidentally press any of the buttons ... ??
    nigelw likes this.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

I've had this watch for 4 months - it resets itself every Saturday to 01/01/2005. Other than that annoyance, it is nowwhere near as intuitive as some reports make out, especially if like me, you are used to Casio button useage.

Quote Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
    Neat looking watch.

Never for me.
    Casio Riseman GW-9200J-1JF, Rangeman GW-9400J-1JF, Frogman GWF-1000G-1DR & Classic GW-M5610R-1DR. TAG Heuer Aquaracer 300m Calibre 5 WAN2110.BA0822. Seiko Criteria 100m Quartz Chronograph SNDC63P1.​Rolex DeepSea Sea-Dweller 116660. Apple Watch Series 2 42mm SS with Milanese Loop.

LOLz

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Quote Originally Posted by G-Shocks Are Cool. View Post
    I just got the Timex Expedition Shock XL watch. It was design for the military. And, you know what. It really was, because a lot of military rifle shooters have their watch on their right hand, and the buttons lock out on the left hand side so you don't hit the buttons when you bend your wrist. If you wear the watch on the left hand you hit the buttons when you bend your wrist.

Name:  356320_450_45.jpg
Views: 1151
Size:  61.4 KB
    No offense pal, but this watch was clearly NOT designed for the military. Since I'm usually a big Timex fan I can say that the XL series fails in many ways. First it is way too big, this thing is a landmine on the wrist and makes a GW-9400 look small in comparison (although the absolute measurements of the Rangeman are even bigger), Second the (negative) display is nowhere as good to read as it should be, don't let that picture fool you. The digits are NOT silverish/greyish but rather yellowish/greenish and despite their huge size leave much to be desired (contrast), especially when compared to the über-excellent displays of the T-49900 and T-49903. The backlight is too bright, instead of only the digitis to light up, the whole display glows. For a negative screen the illumination looks very much positive. Lastly the vibe alarm is too weak, probably because of the truly massive case. It houses basically the same module as the T-49851 and while I honestly believe that it is one of the overall best modules in the whole digital watch world today, it still has some weak points Timex really should have corrected with the XL line - they missed a big oportunity here. All in all the XL Timex is one of the biggest disappointments in 2013 for me (at least the one with the negative display, still have to check out the positive one) along with the G-Shock GD-350. And about your theory activating buttons when bending the wrist: I yet have to find the first G-Shock where this would be possible, happened to me on a few Timex's though.

cheers
    Last edited by cal..45; December 21st, 2013 at 08:34.
    We are 12.6 %

I tried my hardest to activate one of the buttons on my G-Shocks by bending my wrist and wasn't able to. The center piece that separates the buttons stick out further than the buttons and there's no way my wrist could press them. They're also angled more toward the corners so you really have to twist your wrist to even try.

The buttons on that Timex looks about even with the height of the divider and are on the same flat side.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information