Timex Review: An Expedition to the Dark Side - Page 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Timex Review: An Expedition to the Dark Side

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Timex Review: An Expedition to the Dark Side

Good review.

I like the functionality of the Timex but the aesthetics do nothing for me I am afraid.

Also they do not have the 'collectability' of G shocks making them just a utilitarian tool and a fairly fragile one at that, given the number of posts I have seen highlighting problems.

Mitch

Many thanks for the review. I read it all before opening the image link, hoping I'd like the looks.

I don't, unfortunately. I'm a fan of big digits like on my Protreks, but the Timex elongated vertically approach just doesn't seem as legible, or "glanceable" quickly. I cannot get on with them. Maybe I'm missing the point.... are they supposed to be like the letters you see painted on roads, so that they appear in proportion when you look at the watch from an angle? Maybe it's so you don't have to tilt your wrist so far towards you.... does that work? Or does the viewing angle not support that theory?
    The Search function on vBulletin forums isn't very smart. If you want to search for a complete string in the G-Shock forum, or for posts which include multiple words, use Google, and enter site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17 into the search box. Then use normal google syntax after that to enter your search.

Hi Tfar!

I keep looking at that watch because: Is it only me, or is anyone else blown away by the brilliant idea of putting a small (=robust?) compass on a second keeper? If Timex, or anybody else sold these, I would love to equip all my G-Shocks with these. Does it have lume?

Also, unlike the Ironman watches, it has the Indiglo button in the proper place, that is, the front of the watch, much like our 5 button Gs. Unlike our Gs, however, it is unprotected. Pretty good though, for a beater watch. Plus when you destroy it, you will feel vindicated in your choice of Gs. (Although I have a pre Ironman Triathlon watch from 1983 which i STILL run with. One of the buttons is cracked, and the printing on the outside is almost worn away, but it will not die!)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Bogeyman, I'd think that depends on how you present the problem when you send in the watch. The rust spots on a waterproof watch are a no go. Warranty should take care of that. Broken bracelet is another thing. My ten year old neighbor managed to break the bracelet on the hydro'ed G I offered him for his b-day after only two months. Fortunately, it was just the spring bar that popped and not the bad lug that broke. But I've heard that same thing happening to Gs.

Mitch, lack of collectability is exactly what I'm mentioning in my conclusion and that it's a very utilitarian tool. I do wonder if it's really that fragile, though. I see Timex watches on people's hands that are probably twenty years old and look like they've been worn daily.

Maine, your foreshortening theory is a good one. Yes, it works a little this way. Surprisingly, it is also easier to read when you look at it from the small side (the button side). But I suppose that's because of the watch crystal in plastic reflecting less.

I find the elongated numbers highly "glanceable". Just tried it out yesterday when driving. Hand on the wheel, totally dark. Drive with 40mph under a street light for less than a second and I can read the time in half a second very reliably. It take me a tad longer with the Gs and about the same with my Seiko. The analog divers are obviously best for a quick read.

Synch, you can just do a search for watch compass or strap compass. You can buy them as accessories. This one is not lumed but there are lumed ones, too. They are $5-15. I prefer to have the compass on the thumb side of the wrist. Easier to read. But integrating it into the keeper is pretty smart.

Till

I'm not a huge timex fan, but timex crushes casio in the heart rate monitor department.

Also, you don't have to be "old" to have weak/bad eyesight.

In terms of what's new from timex, take a look at the new Global trainer. Timex appears to have won the day with this one. It's a true Ironman, built for the task (click the pic for info). I'm considering one of these for training:

Last edited by FreeDiver; August 27th, 2010 at 22:42.
    Go Dortmund!

I have about a dozen Timex's... mostly from the Ironman collection. I love them!
    Suunto... Replacing Luck!

I had one like that, .......meh. Kinda small and wimpy, crystal easy to damage...then I found Gs!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_C View Post
    I have about a dozen Timex's... mostly from the Ironman collection. I love them!
    I've been happy with my Timex's as well. I probably have more than a dozen -- particularly if you throw in the analog divers I've discussed on this forum before and if you consider the "TX line" to be Timex watches.

They don't inspire the same "collector" bug in me that G's do, I gather they don't have much acceptance these days outside the U.S. and they're certainly not as tough as G-Shocks. But I've never had a problem with one -- and any number of my Timex's have lasted for many, many years.

i like timex too.... but the G are the G.....
    watches are meant to tell times..

Banned

Bump for added pics. :)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information