Timex t5e231 - any Casios/G-Shocks w/ a module close to this one?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Timex t5e231 - any Casios/G-Shocks w/ a module close to this one?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Timex t5e231 - any Casios/G-Shocks w/ a module close to this one?

Full specs here:

Timex IRONMAN® 100-Lap | Casual, Dress, and Sport Watches for Women & Men

I'm hesitant to buy a Timex because my experience with my wife's is that it's pretty much disposed of once the battery dies out. We did a battery change on hers and the WR (originally rated 100m) was shot when she swam later and consequently some buttons ceased working. However, I really like the following and can't seem to find a Casio and/or G-Shock model that comes close to matching:

- Alarms w/ ability to set for just weekdays/weekends
    - Backlight when I push any button
    - Interval training
    - Fairly large and legible LCD

The Timex above I can get delivered for $28.50. At that price I might be able to overcome that it's likely a disposal model, but if I could buy something from Casio with a greater level of durability I'd prefer that.

Re: Timex t5e231 - any Casios/G-Shocks w/ a module close to this one?

Quote Originally Posted by rudyr View Post
    Full specs here:

Timex IRONMAN® 100-Lap | Casual, Dress, and Sport Watches for Women & Men

I'm hesitant to buy a Timex because my experience with my wife's is that it's pretty much disposed of once the battery dies out. We did a battery change on hers and the WR (originally rated 100m) was shot when she swam later and consequently some buttons ceased working. However, I really like the following and can't seem to find a Casio and/or G-Shock model that comes close to matching:

- Alarms w/ ability to set for just weekdays/weekends
    - Backlight when I push any button
    - Interval training
    - Fairly large and legible LCD

The Timex above I can get delivered for $28.50. At that price I might be able to overcome that it's likely a disposal model, but if I could buy something from Casio with a greater level of durability I'd prefer that.
    I owned the T5E231 for some time and liked it - it is an excellent runner's watch. Lightweight, low-profile (slim and can be worn under a cuff) large, easy to read digits and very functional. You'd be hard-pressed to find anything similar among G-shocks, but the G-7700/G-7710 would fit your bill. However, do note that all G-shocks would be heavier than the Ironman so if the weight of the watch is a criteria, it can be a deal-breaker.

Thanks - that's about as close of a match as I could imagine. If I can find it price wise no more than 2x the Timex I'll go for it.
    kmbijit likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rudyr View Post
    Thanks - that's about as close of a match as I could imagine. If I can find it price wise no more than 2x the Timex I'll go for it.
    The 7700 is among the more affordable G shocks around. Its available for around $60 equivalent over here.

Quote Originally Posted by kmbijit View Post
    I owned the T5E231 for some time and liked it - it is an excellent runner's watch. Lightweight, low-profile (slim and can be worn under a cuff) large, easy to read digits and very functional. You'd be hard-pressed to find anything similar among G-shocks, but the G-7700/G-7710 would fit your bill. However, do note that all G-shocks would be heavier than the Ironman so if the weight of the watch is a criteria, it can be a deal-breaker.
    Are there any other G-Shocks that have weekday/weekend alarms? This is a useful feature, but I don't think any of mine do this.

I have personally had just fantastic luck with Ironman Timex watches. I have run in them for decades, various models. There is no (and believe me, i've looked) better basic runners watch than the Timex IM.

Anyway, it's my experience that if you do a battery change carefully and correctly, using a little silicone grease on the gasket and making sure you tighten the caseback down evenly and firmly (and correctly aligned with the gasket), they watertight integrity is not an issue.

Obviously at $28 it's not a dangerous experiment, but I say just buy the IM if that's the watch you want.
    cayabo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    I have personally had just fantastic luck with Ironman Timex watches... ...There is no (and believe me, i've looked) better basic runners watch than the Timex IM. ...
    Pretty sure that ONLY Timex has that fantastic Night-Mode, where every button push turns on the light. I am really impressed with this one, which seems to channel the G-Force almost as well as a true-G. It's more than double the price of the IM, but worth it, imho.
    Name:  P1050198.JPG
Views: 333
Size:  162.2 KB
    But it won't displace the G-7900-1 as my travel watch.
    Name:  P1050199.JPG
Views: 334
Size:  151.1 KB
    Best module ever, ugly, but who cares?

Take a look at the Timex Shock solar watch. Digits are smaller than the one you have, but seems like it otherwise fits with what you are looking for. Same width but ticker. Will post side by side pics when I get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryK30 View Post
    Are there any other G-Shocks that have weekday/weekend alarms? This is a useful feature, but I don't think any of mine do this.
    Unfortunately, none of the current G shocks have the weekday/weekend alarm feature yet.

I never knew Timex even had that solar model - do you know the #? For sure didn't see it at Timex.com when I was searching.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information