Tips/Advice/Help please! (How to remove scratches)
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Tips/Advice/Help please! (How to remove scratches)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tips/Advice/Help please! (How to remove scratches)

Hi, so recently I discovered that I scratched the face of my G5600, being an OCD guy, naturally i would want to remove the scratch. Thing is im not a handy or technical person.
    Any experts or old birds(another term for experts from where i come from) can advice on how i shld go about doing it other than replacing the the glass?
    I searched some threads and there were people who said that replacing the glass is very difficult so im skipping that method.
    I googled and some ppl recommended using toothpaste to polish it. (Did that for 30mins and it seems like there's no improvement or change, anyway thats why u see the picture below, the gshock has some gooey stuff on it)

I live in an area where diamond paste or whatever special paste ppl used to restore their old g shocks is not easily available, are there any other alternative paste/chemical like errr car polish which i can use?

Any help would be appreciated! Cheers!

PS: sorry for the large image, if its possible to put a spoiler, please teach me

Name:  IMG_20160116_125639.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  881.7 KB
    Last edited by MrMundy; January 16th, 2016 at 06:09.

Re: Tips/Advice/Help please! (How to remove scratches)

There is a product called Polywatch which is intended for removing scratches from acrylic crystals, not mineral glass crystals, but you could give it a chance. I believe Amazon sells it.
    Last edited by yankeexpress; January 16th, 2016 at 06:31.
    MrMundy likes this.

Ah, thanks! I'll give that a try, bad thing is I cant remove the bezel and band lol, the spring that's holding the band is very hard to push out D:

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MrMundy View Post
    Ah, thanks! I'll give that a try, bad thing is I cant remove the bezel and band lol, the spring that's holding the band is very hard to push out D:
    You should be able to remove the bezel without removing the band -- the band is held in place by springbars while the bezel is held on by four small screws.

For diamond paste, sites like Amazon or eBay are probably the best bet.

...if it is a thicker scratch it is necessary to start with the abrasive paper about the gradation 1200, 2000, or 2500. If there is a shallow, not perceptible scratch under the nail at once you are going with the cerium oxide...Cerium oxide + felt...You are putting on the table on felt and lightly pressing with glass you are polishing...The final effect of the polishing has it to be mirror...

Quote Originally Posted by AMPM View Post
    ...if it is a thicker scratch it is necessary to start with the abrasive paper about the gradation 1200, 2000, or 2500. If there is a shallow, not perceptible scratch under the nail at once you are going with the cerium oxide...Cerium oxide + felt...You are putting on the table on felt and lightly pressing with glass you are polishing...The final effect of the polishing has it to be mirror...
    ...it is option of removing scratches by hand unaided drills...

you are OCD but not a DIY ? only one solution: get rid of the G and buy a new one

life is too short
    nigelw, yankeexpress and domoon like this.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

You won't get rid of the scratch completely, without grinding off a complete layer of the crystal (which takes a lot of time and skill to do it right).

Your best bet is to try using scratch "remover" products, which will smooth down the scratch edges so it is not as visible. In fact, try whitening toothpaste first (little dab and rub, rub, rub). I find that usually works well enough.

G-Shock watches are meant to be tough and your G-Shock model is a workhorse -- it's common, and ready for scuffing. The only G-Shocks that deserve to be babied are models that are discontinued hard to find, very expensive, or limited editions.

By the way, since the "bullbar" protectors are back, might as well get one of those and add a little extra crystal protection.
    Last edited by xevious; January 16th, 2016 at 20:57.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

If its glass you should polish with a cerium oxide solution, but that may not be any easier to get than diamond paste.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information