Tips, tricks and precautions regarding a matte white finish?

Thread: Tips, tricks and precautions regarding a matte white finish?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tips, tricks and precautions regarding a matte white finish?

Hi, I've done a lot of research regarding the matte white finish and have concluded that clothing dye can and will discolor it. There is not much you can do about it.

Having said this, if you could go back to the beginning when your matte white was brand new, are there things you would have done differently to protect the finish and keep it white?

For example, not letting it brush against jeans or not wearing it with a dark, long sleeved shirt? The reason I ask is I have my eye on a beautiful matte white right now and want to get off to a good start.

Perhaps a matte white should be regarded as a well loved white Stratocaster. Over time it will show its age, but the marks and discoloring can be seen as the beautiful patina of age.

What do you think? Can you help?
    Last edited by dead of night; May 30th, 2012 at 13:38.

Banned

Re: Tips, tricks and precautions regarding a matte white finish?

I will think of getting a spare set of straps together when purchasing the watch.

Dye from clothing will be your biggest enemy. Just be mindful of what you are wearing. Other than that, a regular cleaning will keep it glowing like new. With my matte white 7900 I would wash it with a toothbrush and warm water and dish soap every other week. Sometimes scrubbing it with toothpaste also. If i went a few weeks without washing it, I would soak it in a bowl of warm water with Oxy-Clean. If you pick up scuffs or dirt marks that don't easily come off w/ a toothbrush, try using a Magic Eraser.

Sent from the office of the reincarnated President of the Republic of Texas.
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Do you have to avoid wearing all long sleeves with a matte white, or just the darker colors?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsip85 View Post
    Dye from clothing will be your biggest enemy. Just be mindful of what you are wearing. Other than that, a regular cleaning will keep it glowing like new. With my matte white 7900 I would wash it with a toothbrush and warm water and dish soap every other week. Sometimes scrubbing it with toothpaste also. If i went a few weeks without washing it, I would soak it in a bowl of warm water with Oxy-Clean. If you pick up scuffs or dirt marks that don't easily come off w/ a toothbrush, try using a Magic Eraser.

Sent from the office of the reincarnated President of the Republic of Texas.
    Will that get the dye out if you've picked some up?

Would a magic eraser work?

Hi, just received a matte white G Shock. What exactly are the restrictions I should use to prevent any dye from staining the watch? Do ALL long sleeves bleed onto the watch, or just the darker colors that easily fade with washing in the machine? In other words, will all button down shirts bleed onto the watch, or just the denim, ingigo jeans-styled shirts?

I just wouldn't risk wearing long sleeves with a G-Shock of any light colour. Colour run is so easy, especially on a matte finish G-Shock.
    Watchshock Collection (minus a few models that are missing from the website):
    http://watchshock.com/collection/3498/

yeah, as I said, dye from clothes is your worst enemy. It can certainly stain your G. If you notice is early, you might be able to get it out with acetone. But don't use too much at one time and don't scrub too hard or you might actually take the matte finish off as well.
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

What ever you do is fine, don't bleach it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information