Touch Solar Battery Related Questions

Thread: Touch Solar Battery Related Questions

Touch Solar Battery Related Questions

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum, so thanks in advance for any help in answering those questions! I am thinking about buying a tough solar casio watch so i got some questions related to the mechanism.

1) from what i understand there is a battery inside, which charges through the solar cell. how long is the average life time of such a battery? i searched the net and the it seems the answers vary wildly between 2-10 years. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with that. also, how much does it cost to replace? some ppl claim its 80% of the cost of the watch. can i find one and replace it myself if i have to? any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated!

2) i was reading on the topic and i came across this:
    http://www.casio-intl.com/wat/toughsolar.html
    in particular if you scroll down you will see:

Doesn't the rechargable battery every require replacement or maintenance?
    As a rule, you should never have to replace the battery in actual use. As for maintenance, we recommend that you have the packing of water-resistant models changed periodically (roughly every 2 or 3 years) to maintain the water resistance.

What does that even mean?? I am having real trouble interpreting the meaning of "we recommend that you have the 'packing' of water resistant models changed periodically".

Thanks again for any help!!!

duskhoriz0n

Re: Touch Solar Battery Related Questions

Battery life for the tough solars is very good. I have several Raysman watches dating to 1999 that are still on their original batteries and going strong. None of my more recently produced G's show any problems either or have needed the rechargeable battery replaced. There were a couple of problematic watches produced by Casio (most notably the GW-300) but they are definitely the exception rather than the rule, and I can't think of anything that's been made within the past few years that is a lemon. Even in those cases, I believe it was a failure of the module itself to charge the battery, not the battery itself.

In the case that the rechargeable cell does need to be replaced, they cost about $15 USD online and are no more difficult to change than a regular watch battery.

As for the water resistance, the "packing" that is mentioned probably refers to the gasket. Under the caseback of all G-Shocks there is a rubber gasket which helps keep water out. I would say that two to three years is a pretty aggressive replacement schedule and is not necessary unless you plan on taking it on deep dives very often. I've opened up G-Shocks that are close to ten years old and the gaskets are still soft and pliable with no signs of cracking. Typically, greasing the gasket with silicone grease (available at auto parts stores) every few years or after a battery change is all the maintenance you need. However, if WR is a primary concern then you may want to look into purchasing extra gaskets and changing them every few years.
    Simon

WTB - More wrists

Inactive

Here's a couple of links to sellers of the CTL1616, which seems to be the most common rechargeable in Casios nowadays - price is 8,5$ and 11£ in these examples; Probably shipping is added...

http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_ctl1616.htm

http://apc321.fatcow.com/store/page10.html

I dont have long term experience with Tough Solar, only had one for a couple of months. So far I'm impressed. The light conditions varies a lot where I live, and even with lesser daylight for a month or so, it works very well - if I dont use auto light. Auto light seems to be hard on the battery (naturally), and I tend to say it's best to use, when one wears a T-shirt... Or for limited use, when it's handy to not use two hands for readint the time.

Gaskets and sealing; I believe (but dont know) solar is good for the sealing, because the watch dont have to be opend as much. But there's also gaskets at the buttons....

Casio tends to be on the safe side, when they claim or spec something - I think that's a good strategy, because then you know what's the least you can espect. When my Riseman is 2-3 years old, I'll probably go to a jeweller, and pay them for doing a pressure test - I only need WR for normal swimming... And this way I know if it's water proof.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

First of all, thanks for the replies!!

I was thinking of getting a Casio PAW1500 watch.
    I guess my next question is, does that also use CTL1616?
    Also, where can find gaskets for such a watch?
    How difficult is it to replace them/the battery.

Sorry if the questions may seem kinda dumb. Im just new to this whole thing!

duskhoriz0n

See a couple of 'How To' posts in the Articles and Tutorials sub-forum above for battery changing.

Gaskets don't usually need to be replaced - just checked and greased.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Thread Information