Tough Solar: Is battery life affected by recharging habits?

Thread: Tough Solar: Is battery life affected by recharging habits?

Tough Solar: Is battery life affected by recharging habits?

Hi -

I've got a few Casio "tough solar" watches now and I'm wondering: does it matter whether or not I allow them to fully or nearly fully discharge before I recharge them in the sun? Is the battery life affected by stuff like that on these watches?

Thanks,
    - Tim

Inactive

Re: Tough Solar: Is battery life affected by recharging habits?

The Tough Solar technology is probably too new, for anyone to know.

However, with most modern cell phone and laptop batteries, it recommended to not completely discharge them.

Though, the CTL1616 used in many Casios, are a "Cobalt Titanium Lithium", a battery type I've never heard of before. But due to the Lithium-part, I think it's somewhat safe to compare to other Lithium types, as above.

Enough speculation, in the manual Casio recommends to expose to light as often as possible. Besides, it's not easy to discharge a watch completely - not if you want to wear the watch

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

let's put it this way: for the sake of the watch(es) and therefore yours, it is not recommended to let solar batteries discharge. if you don't wear them, do yourself a favour and put them on a window sill facing south (or, if you live in the southern hemisphere, facing north). that should keep the watches fully charged and "ready to go" whenever you need them.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Technically yes; deep discharge of the cell will reduce the life cycle, as opposed to keeping the watch charged. normal exposure in a well lit room is adequate for most. I dont pay any more attention than this to my solar watches, direct sunlight can generate significant heat in the watch if left for prolonged periods, so I tend to avoid windows sills etc

Q-6

Banned
    Brokeback Mountain, The Balkans, N. Korea, NY, The Middle East.....all the nice places on earth

I just try to wear mine all the time so the charge indicator on the lcd display can always stay on "H" (High).

I managed to kill a lithium battery once by leaving the device plugged in overnight for 2 years. I didnt know they could over charge? Anyway
    As for tough solar watches, my oldest one is my trusty MDA which is almost 6 years old. It uses the same type of battery as the frogman's (ML2016) and it works perfectly; I see no signs of solar panel/battery degradation. The battery has never gone dead. It has reached level 4 a couple of times but that's it. Even the manual states never let the watch reach level 5.
    Last edited by xGGAx; June 15th, 2010 at 20:46.

Thread Information