'Tough Solar' battery life - help me choose my first G-SHOCK
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: 'Tough Solar' battery life - help me choose my first G-SHOCK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'Tough Solar' battery life - help me choose my first G-SHOCK

I'm looking to buy my first G-SHOCK and I'm pretty set on a 5600. I don't need atomic living in Australia, as far as I'm aware it's useless? I think I want solar though. World clock seems like a good idea too, not that I'd probably need it (I don't believe the standard 5600's have it?).

I had a question about how long the batteries actually last before needing to be changed? Will it outlast the life of a standard battery significantly?
    Last edited by poeee; June 30th, 2012 at 02:13. Reason: Whoops! Hit the wrong
    jt67 and Mukhtar like this.

Re: 'Tough Solar' battery life - help me choose my first G-SHOCK

yes solar power battery life is 12 to 16 years at least in my experience
    Mukhtar likes this.

In terms of holding a charge, I leave mine in light environments constantly, so the battery stays charged. However, I have had it in a dark drawer for 3-4 months and it came to life without a charge.
    Mukhtar likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

To add to the OP's question.....Is changing out a solar battery just as easy as changing out a regular one? Do you have to send the watch in etc? This would be an issue in deciding between solar and regular battery for sure.
    C

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate, so we can buy [email protected]# we don't need" - Tyler Durden

"I have beaters for my beaters" -Me

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Casio does not state a battery cell life for a solar G-Shock. They have erroneously said in their marketing campaigns "never needs batteries", which is not true--it will eventually. However, based on what I've learned about the CTL-1616 cells, they can last something like 20 years if not frequently stressed by extreme heat.

The standard battery life on G-Shocks is usually quite understated. This does vary from module to module, though. Some earlier modules are very conservative in their power use (CASIO was rather obsessive about it), and some DW-5600's have been reported to go as long as 12-15 years without a battery change (usually due to VERY low usage--no alarms, hardly any stopwatch use, etc). Newer models are likely not to last that long, because they have more power hungry features. I'd say that battery life is usually about double (so if CASIO says 2 years, it's probably more like 3-4 years). Also, note that some G-Shocks have the CR-2025 cell, which has more than double the capacity of a CR-2016 (common cell).

As for battery changes, they are pretty much identical, except that the battery cells for solar models often have an adhesive sticker over the battery. Otherwise, the cells look nearly identical save for size.

The 5600 series still has a reasonably conservative power consumption, so if wouldn't be too hard set on getting solar. But for other models, it's a good thing to have.
    Last edited by xevious; June 30th, 2012 at 17:34.
    LUW, 1onehandwill, Morteza and 1 others like this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

I've had a look around and it seems the G-5600 is the one available locally, not the DW-5600. It seems like I'll be going solar after all...
    1onehandwill and Mukhtar like this.

the G5600 is a grad watch and for less than $120 is hard to beat
    poeee and Mukhtar like this.

Now i've just got to decide on the colour. Maybe a simple classic G-5600E-1 is a good choice for my first G-SHOCK.
    Mukhtar likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by poeee View Post
    Now i've just got to decide on the colour. Maybe a simple classic G-5600E-1 is a good choice for my first G-SHOCK.
    Absolutely a perfect choice, I have 2 G5600E-1's and love them. To me solar is a big plus and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. You won't regret getting this fine time piece.
    Mukhtar likes this.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

I concur, the G-5600 is a very nice watch. I would have bought one, except that I've got enough 5600's and don't need another similar looking watch. But if I was starting out fresh, I'd probably opt for a G-5600 before getting a DW-5600E.
    Mukhtar likes this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information