Tough solar CTL 1616 maintenance recommendations?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Tough solar CTL 1616 maintenance recommendations?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tough solar CTL 1616 maintenance recommendations?

So, I've got a new CTL 1616 battery tough solar watch coming thru the internet (G7300) and, after having ordered it, I read about the inherent problems of that battery (which may or may not have been now "improved" or "corrected" ... whatever);
    So, I would like to "do it right" so as to optimize battery life.
    What is the rule?
    Strong initial charge (before use), followed by daily northern exposure nurturing?
    Letting it go low (empty the battery) and then reload "strong"? (I understand that would NOT be the way).
    Who can give us reliable guidelines for that particular type of battery?
    Many thanks in advance! (and ...have a nice day...another hot one coming up here/Belgium).

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Re: Tough solar CTL 1616 maintenance recommendations?

pablo,

presently I own 4 models with the CTL1616 battery and never faced any problems whatsoever.

my recomendation would be NOT to follow the guardlines of casio and charge them all the time whenever possible. in my opinion an accumulator - because thats what it is - should never pushed up to 100% all the time, this can't be healthy. I give all my tough solar watches a good ammount of bright light until they're fully charged and then I just put them in my collection box. IMO it's enough when you wear them from time to time especially in weather conditions like now (in europe ~ 34° celsius)

regards, holger
    We are 12.6 %

Vielen dank, Holger and :gold to Germany (with moderation, of course).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Like Cal45 said before ignore Casio recommendations and keep it exposed in light a...

lot. Also don't use the backlight alot as this kills them(I know it is Ironic when you figure Casio claimed that you could use the BL more with solar)

Cheers
    leon

I have a number of Atomic solar watches with the CTL1616 battery. None of them have ever failed.

I always turn off the Auto-EL function, as it will drain a battery dry very quickly.

I recommend charging your battery until it reachest the "highest" charge level indicator. Then use the watch normally, until it reaches the "medium" indicator. Once it reaches medium, charge it back to high. Don't ever let it drain below medium, and don't overcharge it either.

Don't become obsessed with charging the watch. I wear my Frogman often, and the light it gets from being on my wrist, is enough to keep it on high charge. I have never had to set my Frogman on a window sill to charge.

Re: Like Cal45 said before ignore Casio recommendations and keep it exposed in light a...

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Eckell
    lot. Also don't use the backlight alot as this kills them(I know it is Ironic when you figure Casio claimed that you could use the BL more with solar)

leon
    What's the theory behind this?
    ...It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live!

I don't see any issue with using the backlight. It's the Auto EL function that constantly goes off under low light conditions, which does the real damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzbait
    I don't see any issue with using the backlight. It's the Auto EL function that constantly goes off under low light conditions, which does the real damage.
    Sorry, but I still don't understand. The excessive use of the light depletes the battery, but does it make it unuseable?

I was able to bring my GW-300 from fully charged to almost drained in two days, using the Auto-EL. Drawing that much power from the battery, the battery would be continually charged and almost completely discharged. Not a good thing for the life the rechargeable battery. Rapid discharges are bad for rechargeable batteries. So are near drainings. If you don’t wear your watch at night, and/or don’t frequent low-light conditions, the Auto-EL might be okay. But for many, the Auto-EL is the feature from hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzbait
    I was able to bring my GW-300 from fully charged to almost drained in two days, using the Auto-EL. Drawing that much power from the battery, the battery would be continually charged and almost completely discharged. Not a good thing for the life the rechargeable battery. Rapid discharges are bad for rechargeable batteries. So are near drainings. If you don’t wear your watch at night, and/or don’t frequent low-light conditions, the Auto-EL might be okay. But for many, the Auto-EL is the feature from hell.
    Ok. This makes sense now when talking about discharge cycles. I think Logician was talking about that in a different post as well. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information