Tough Solar... do I live in the wrong climate for this?
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Tough Solar... do I live in the wrong climate for this?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Tough Solar... do I live in the wrong climate for this?

Hi guys,

I needed a tough watch that didn't need any maintenance, and that also looked bad-ass. So last September, I went for the GW2310FB-1CR (Tough Solar + Multi-Band 6), imported one from the US and shipped it to my country (the Netherlands).

The watch is just perfect. It looks awesome, is sturdy. The negative display is very readable. The multiband time sync works perfectly, even with the DST switch we had recently. Doesn't even need to be near a window.

But the Tough Solar has some issues. When I just got the watch, the indicator was on "High". It dropped to "Medium" the day after, never to recover. Now that winter is coming, that is becoming an issue. It frequently drops to "Low", which disables the beeper and the illuminator. And because this has a negative display, not having the illuminator makes it impossible to use at night.

The manual states that I need to roll up my sleeves, but that's somewhat impractical when I'm outside and it's freezing. And it's also impractical when I'm inside wearing a thick sweater, so I usually take the watch off and put it near a window. But we only have 8 hours of sunlight a day, and behind a double or triple pane window it doesn't get enough sunlight to get back up to "Medium" let alone "High".

Auto-EL is disabled and PowerSaver is enabled. Do I live in the wrong climate from Tough Solar? Because taking the watch to the shop every three years for a battery replacement is way less of a hassle than constantly rolling up my sleeves and taking it off to put it next to a window.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Tough Solar... do I live in the wrong climate for this?

I would leave it on your window sill for a few days to give it an initial boost. It was likely sitting in a box before it got to you; the HIGH was probably at the very low end. I wouldn't worry about it, you just need to give it a kick start.

What you really need to do is put it on the window shelf when the sun will be out. Leave it on sun for some time to get on H and that's it....

It's not really that much of a hassle as you think. You just need to fully charge it, when it's fully charged you just need to give it enough light during the day to stay on H, which isn't that much.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the reply.

I've placed the watch behind the window sill for the last couple of months, and it was enough to keep it at "Medium" in September - November, but it now dips to "Low".

I do remember that on the second day of ownership, when it went from "High" to "Medium", I put it on the window sill and it went back to "High", but only temporarily (something that the manual states as normal behavior). This was on a very sunny day. Could I have damaged the battery by doing this?

I have Ikea LED lamp and with it I can give some juice to my watch. Went from M to H instantly and has been there now. Unfortunately around this time of the year the day is about 5h20min long and during the raining we dont see much of the sun, so artificial light is needed.
    nigelw likes this.

It shouldn't keep dropping like that. It sounds to me like the battery is no longer holding a charge and should be replaced.

Some reviews I have seen of the gw-2310 mention that it takes a long time to charge and is hard to keep at high.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. I bought the watch in September, so it didn't have all sumer to charge and prepare for fall/winter. I'll see what happens next year. Luckily, I have many other amazing Casio watches I can wear for the winter (A168 and I will soon receive the F-91W "Osama Special").

kj2

I've too some Tough Solar lights, and having no problems. I only had two times, it hit medium. Just a few days in front of a window should do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by computer_freak View Post
    When I just got the watch, the indicator was on "High". It dropped to "Medium" the day after, never to recover. Now that winter is coming, that is becoming an issue. It frequently drops to "Low", which disables the beeper and the illuminator. And because this has a negative display, not having the illuminator makes it impossible to use at night.

The manual states that I need to roll up my sleeves, but that's somewhat impractical when I'm outside and it's freezing. And it's also impractical when I'm inside wearing a thick sweater, so I usually take the watch off and put it near a window. But we only have 8 hours of sunlight a day, and behind a double or triple pane window it doesn't get enough sunlight to get back up to "Medium" let alone "High".

Auto-EL is disabled and PowerSaver is enabled. Do I live in the wrong climate from Tough Solar? Because taking the watch to the shop every three years for a battery replacement is way less of a hassle than constantly rolling up my sleeves and taking it off to put it next to a window.
    It sounds to me like you live near the northern edge of "wrong climate for Tough Solar" -- a lot of members from your sort-of neighbors in the UK have reported similar issues.

One of the problems is that it sounds like your watch has never been fully charged since you've owned it. Even when your watch briefly went to a "High" charge, it was still several hours away from being "fully charged," as the chart below shows:

Name:  2310 charging.JPG
Views: 1135
Size:  71.6 KB

It could have still used six hours of DIRECT sunlight, or another three days' worth of sunlight through the window to reach "Full."

The good news is that even though it takes these watches a while to become fully charged, it also takes them a while to discharge back to "Medium." I'm located a little closer to the equator than you, but we still get regular snow and 9 hour "days" of sunlight. I try to make sure that my solars are all on "High" as autumn rolls around, and about half of them will stay on "High" until spring. By January or February, a few will drop to "Medium" and I'll put them outside on one of our sunny days, they'll bounce back to "High" and stay there until spring.

As far north as you are, it's also extremely unlikely that you damaged your watch by putting it on a windowsill behind a double- or triple-paned window.

My suggestion is more or less what you've come up with already: you can try to charge your watch for several days on the windowsill, or else just pick another watch until spring and then try to make sure you go into November '14 with your 2310 on "High!"

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information