Tough Solar - how do you in cloudy countries?
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Tough Solar - how do you in cloudy countries?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hi, just wondering how you keep your topped up during these cloudy winter months?

I use this little 5w cree torch (flashlight)

It runs on 3xAAA rechargeable batteries - this gives around 300 lumens for 1 hour, then approximately 100 lumens for another hour or so before the batteries finally give up.

The watch never gets hot (cree bulbs seem to run much cooler than old halogen) and because it's a snug fit, there's very little light escape the watch's solar panel.

I find that if I do this a couple of times a week the watch never drops off high battery level, even if I don't show it any natural daylight. No biggie for me as I can leave the watch charging without supervision.

I'd like to know if this method is widely used or if any other methods are popular - or "gulp" I'm a just a bit weird and the only one doing this ???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by SOZO; December 24th, 2012 at 07:24.
    gaopa, xevious and Blunderact like this.

The battery level does not need to stay on high. If it is fully charged in summer it should be fine until spring. No need to stress if it drops a level or two
    Mhutchuk likes this.

Re: Tough Solar - how do you in cloudy countries?

But it's cloudy here in spring - autumn too!

Average 270 cloudy days per year in the UK :(

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by kung-fusion View Post
    The battery level does not need to stay on high. If it is fully charged in summer it should be fine until spring. No need to stress if it drops a level or two

To achieve this I think he'll need to limit the daily alarms to one alarm per day and only hit the light button when it's absolutely necessary.

The auto EL on my Riseman drains the battery like crazy, two weeks is the most I could get from a fully charged battery with the auto EL on.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    To achieve this I think he'll need to limit the daily alarms to one alarm per day and only hit the light button when it's absolutely necessary.

The auto EL on my Riseman drains the battery like crazy, two weeks is the most I could get from a fully charged battery with the auto EL on.

Well, you DO live on the "dark side of the moon"....
    Chrisek, Redcrow and lvt like this.

this is unnecessary in my opinion, while I live in a sunny place, I am mostly in doors for work, and for the solar watches that are mostly in doors ambient light is fine, if your on medium your fine.

I think that's not too necessary (it's ok as long as it doesnt get hot), any natural or artificial light will charge the watch.

______
    Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

While your charging method is creative and I'm sure it works well for you, like others have said, it's not really necessary. If you want to keep it topped up, your method once a week should get the job done. The G-Shock holds a charge a long time. Cheers, Bill P.

I don't find it unusual at all that charging method. What's funny is that an overcast day to our fellow WUSers near the Equator compared to an overcast day in England is really different and where we live with our solar watches makes a difference. On some days the illumination level on an overcast cloudy day in England can be as low as 200 lux, causing streetlights to turn on during the day, and the best day in England, with summer and full sunshine is rated at 50,000 lux.

I do have another problem I hope other's can explain. My trusty Seiko EPD has recently been showing me that my battery is at mid level and the manual recommends charging because the battery only has three levels. I've charged it about 6 hrs in our weak sunny skies with the window open, and the watch then showed a full charge, but in the morning when I check it before wearing it shows mid level battery again. Manual recommends 12 hrs in full 100,000 lux sun btw. But temperatures of my watch dip to 60 degrees or less at night compared to when I wear it. I just wondered if this might not be healthy for the battery.

Can this be temperature related? It shows mid level when the watch is about 60 degrees Farenheit, but after you wear it, it warms up and the battery will show full again. I don't know if I should charge it, sun is rather weak here in Pennsylvania in the winter by the way.

I bought G5500TS in October and since then it was really cloudy here, only few days of sun.

I keep my watch near the window, not in the direct sunlight. And even if I don't wear the watch everyday, it's always on high. Just keep the watches in well lighted room and you should be ok.

No need to charge it manualy, sun (even behind clouds) will do the work for you

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information