Tough Solar vs. Eco-Drive Charging Systems...
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Tough Solar vs. Eco-Drive Charging Systems...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tough Solar vs. Eco-Drive Charging Systems...

I am curious as to the difference in charging rates between Casio's Tough Solar and Citizens Eco-Drive.

I quote from the Casio manual: "Keep the watch exposed to bright light. When you are not wearing the watch on your wrist position the face so it is pointed at a source of bright light. Make sure the watch is exposed to light as much as possible."

Quoting from the Citizen manual: "Citizen's unique Eco-Drive, which absorbs sunlight and any artificial light through the crystal and dial to recharge the watch continuously."

My impression after reading these two manuals, is the Eco-Drive does not require as much light as the Casio, nor does it require light that is as and intense and bright as Casio does, since it talks about charing in artificial light.

Does anyone have an Eco-Drive and if so how do you find it charges as compared to the Casio Tough Solar?

Thanks...

Re: Tough Solar vs. Eco-Drive Charging Systems...

I don't know about the Eco-Drive, but I think Casio are being over-cautious in the manual.

I once had a Tough Solar watch drop to 'M'. I don't keep watches pointing towards a bright light when I'm not wearing them, and I don't make any effort to keep them exposed to light when I am wearing them. They will charge from artificial light, albeit more slowly than in sunlight.

If it was as much work keeping them charged as the quote from the manual suggests, I'd have given up on them a long time ago!
    'I never done it'

i think that they will work both well...
    watches are meant to tell times..

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Eco-Drive watches absorb light from (very nearly) the whole dial, whilst the total cell area on a Tough Solar is relatively small.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Hi

I have both, never have any problems. I just wear them and it gives enough light to keep them running.

Come to think of it the Eco Drive is hardly worn and kept in a drawer and still keeps running.

As Tribe says the solar cell on the Citizens is bigger and also not covered with unnecessary text.

Both work on the same principle of charging a battery via a solar panel and give around six months use when fully charged without further exposure to light.

Regards

Matt

I prefer to store my four Solar G-Shocks with the rest of my watches in cases. Therefore they are in the dark except when I wear them. I also notice they go into the sleep mode with the display off during their time in the case, as the manual states.

I've been wearing one every day, since I began collecting G's two months ago.

So could it be said that the four of them will be just fine being stored like that?

Thanks for the advice...

im newbie at eco-drive. do they hibernate like Gs do? ive seen some analogs with eco-drive. how exactly do we know when the battery is low?
    "My watch buying policy reaches up to $29.99. PM me if interested" - Vintage

on Eco-Drive, when the battery is low the second hand will jump every 2 or 3 seconds to let you know that the battery needs some charging.
    Couple of watches here and there

Quote Originally Posted by kleptoix View Post
    on Eco-Drive, when the battery is low the second hand will jump every 2 or 3 seconds to let you know that the battery needs some charging.
    I have an Eco diver that is 10+ years old that is still running just fine, and I never had to do anything other than wear it daily to keep it charged. The only time it lost a charge was a couple of years back when I got a Titanium Citizen Eco diver to "replace" it - the batter lost life when it was sitting for a prolonged period in the dark. When I accidentally broke the crystal on the other one late last year, I got the other one out and set it in the sunlight for the afternoon. It cranked right up and has been running ever since.

I don't know if that helps, but to my mind, it's a proven system that works very well with virtually no extra effort necessary to keep it charged.

I also have a Casio G-Shock solar atomic that I have had since Christmas, and while I have never had problem with it either, I haven't really owned it long enough to be able to make a determination about whether or not it will hold up well with just normal use.
    This is just a tribute.

thanks for the info and now i know. looks like eco-drive is in my list now.
    "My watch buying policy reaches up to $29.99. PM me if interested" - Vintage

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information