Toughness
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nolander

Thread: Toughness

Toughness

I just got a new g shock dw9052-1V digital watch and in the manual it says avoid using near chemicals, soap, detergent or anything like that otherwise the water resistance will decrease. Does that include chlorine from a pool? Also is the decrease actually noticeable or is it safe to wear in the shower and Casio is just being paranoid. Thanks in advance to everyone, this is my first post in watchuseek.

Re: Toughness

Quote Originally Posted by LightningStrike32 View Post
    I just got a new g shock dw9052-1V digital watch and in the manual it says avoid using near chemicals, soap, detergent or anything like that otherwise the water resistance will decrease. Does that include chlorine from a pool? Also is the decrease actually noticeable or is it safe to wear in the shower and Casio is just being paranoid. Thanks in advance to everyone, this is my first post in watchuseek.
    Welcome to Watchuseek!

Yes, that's mostly Casio being paranoid. Chemicals (including soap, chlorine, oils, and others) will EVENTUALLY dry out and/or break down the neoprene rubber seals around the buttons and on the back of the watch, but it's going to take months or years for that damage to become bad enough for water to enter your watch. You can also help prevent that breakdown by rinsing your watch with clean water whenever it's exposed to those chemicals.

My son wears his G-shock swimming in a chlorinated pool 3-4 times a week, showers with it on and wears it for everything else 24/7 for the last 2 years. He never purposely washes or rinses it. Also, this is my old G-shock from 2003! The solar battery and water resistance appear to be fine still. I would not worry, it will probably be fine.
    Rocat likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Melbourne (Studying) / Putrajaya Malaysia (Home)

Dw9052, is one hell of a watch, I used to use it for my previous work on oilrig, exposing it to lots of chemicals when im doing my maintenance on my downhole tools. Too bad I dont have them to show, as I keep misplacing them everytime Im in shower LOL! I remember I bought at least a dozen of them in my 5 years work and all lost LOL~

Also...

Another thing that the manual says is not to press buttons while the watch is underwater/wet. Does doing that have a major effect on the water resistance of the watch?

Re: Also...

Another thing that the manual says is not to press buttons while the watch is underwater/wet. Does doing that have a major effect on the water resistance of the watch?
    As far as I can remember G-shocks are fine with underwater button pressing. At least it was never a problem for my watches..

Re: Also...

Quote Originally Posted by joe montana View Post
    As far as I can remember G-shocks are fine with underwater button pressing. At least it was never a problem for my watches..
    Casio's admonition in their manuals about "don't press buttons underwater" is a relatively recent development, presumably suggested by their lawyers ten or fifteen years ago.

Plenty of people still do press buttons underwater and have never had any problems with their watches: https://www.google.com/search?q=site...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Thread Information