Traditional 6900 - anyone like?

Thread: Traditional 6900 - anyone like?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Traditional 6900 - anyone like?

I ask because Buzzbait mentioned that the camo version has several improvements over the version you can buy here in the US at your local wal-mart. He said the backlight is better, the module's display is much clearer, it's built better, keeps better time, and on and on. Just wondering for those who've had both versions if you notice the difference personally. Pics would help I would like to get the camo version, but I have a $50 gift card to wal-mart and i'm tempted to get the traditional version. I actually kind of like the different-colored circles up top. and i don't necessarily mind the colorful text on the dial, even though i may end up stealthing it. but i worry that it's somehow inferior and that the timekeeping will stink.

thanks!

Re: Traditional 6900 - anyone like?

Your wish is my command. Here is a comparison shot to show the difference between the modules and dials.

There certainly is nothing at all wrong with your basic DW-6900. It's a workhorse and has proven itself constantly over the years. You just don't get some of the perks of the Japan version. The display won't be as clear, and it may not keep time as well as the Japan version, but at least the timekeeping issue can be fixed if you're brave. The LCD may not be perfectly lined up with the dial, on the Chinese version, but that can also be fixed by you, if you're willing to open the watch up.

thanks! there certainly is a difference. in a sense, the display of the chinese version is more stealthy than the japanese version because it's so dark but the display being dark is not really the idea i guess. and you say the backlight is not as strong as well, correct? how's your chinese variant in terms of timekeeping?
    Last edited by smittythepig; March 24th, 2008 at 21:36. Reason: spelling

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

if you want a 6900 testing against an atomic, let me know..

Quote Originally Posted by smittythepig View Post
    thanks! certinaly is a difference. in a sense, the display of the chinese version is more stealthy than the japanese version because it's so dark but the display being dark is not really the idea i guess. and you say the backlight is not as strong as well, correct? how's your chinese variant in terms of timekeeping?
    The back light is just as bright. The color of the back light is just more pure and easy to read on the Japanese version. My guess is that it has to do with the LCD background once again.

I have 3 Chinese DW-6900's, all purchased from Walmart. The oldest one runs 10 seconds fast per month. Not bad. The other 2 run over 60 seconds fast per month. Very bad for quartz. My Japanese model runs 3 to 4 seconds fast per month.

Just wondering for those who've had both versions if you notice the difference personally.
    Yes, a lot. To the point that I think an 'old' 6900 module would annoy me now.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

When I got my Chinese built 6900, it was +38 seconds every 30 days. Now, I've got it down to -5s every 30 days. That's accurate enough for me. Adjusting the time wasn't hard at all, but it did take several days to get it right. Small adjustments are key.

For the record, I think the 6900 is the most comfortable G-Shock out there. But the 2300 is a CLOSE second.

Later,
    Chrome...

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Yes, a lot. To the point that I think an 'old' 6900 module would annoy me now.
    you mean simply in terms of the brightness of the display? i am assuming that's the only difference between the modules (ignoring timekeeping, etc.).

which model do you currently have specifically? from your signature pic it looks like the traditional model.

thanks.

you mean simply in terms of the brightness of the display? i am assuming that's the only difference between the modules (ignoring timekeeping, etc.).

which model do you currently have specifically? from your signature pic it looks like the traditional model.
    Yes, I mean the brightness (and sharpness) of the display.

The model in my sig is actually a Buzzbait-style stealthed camo model. I previously had an original 6900, but wouldn't want to go back to that now.

It's interesting, actually, that I got bored with the 6900 and sold it. It was Buzzbait's transformatory creativity, allied with the enduring appeal of the model, that brought me back to it.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

yes, i like it...
    i had just bought a 6900 and a 6600...

here :
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=135895
    watches are meant to tell times..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information