Travel watch for OS from my collection.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Davidro
  • 1 Post By Davidro

Thread: Travel watch for OS from my collection.

Hi everyone.
    Pretty soon I am going on an OS holiday ( honeymoon actually!) to Rome and Egypt- pretty excited really!I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what watch to wear.
    Initially I was going to wear my SGW100; so many +'ves- cheap, light, world times, compass, reliable, tough and expendable.
    Name:  WP_001280.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  37.3 KB
    But I gave it to my dad after he visited me.
    So I have been pouring over my collection, should I go with one of these beaters? I wondered
    Name:  WP_001918.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  107.1 KB
    or something more classic from my vintage collection?
    Name:  WP_001920.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  79.0 KB
    I dug out the ones which had world time, as part of the elimination process. The short list:
    Name:  WP_001923.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  157.4 KB
    I really wanted to bring my GW5000, but it's too good to lose. The others are a bit uncomfortable; The Edifice is a pretty solid choice, but a little clunky and chunky. Giez would also suffice, but if you have ever owned one they are a bit cumbersome to operate and slow. My Futurist has dual time, and is already a veteran of the African continent- serving me well for 4+ months in Tanzania a while back.

For the first time I wish I had a newish watch with advanced functions, but then again I am watch-sentimental type...

So I though,a dual time watch would probably be handy and not much fuss to adjust a couple of times, which eliminated my DW6910 and DW002 and my 5600E beaters and DW5000-1JF. But not my old DW5600C's bless them !
    Most of my vintage collection is too good (too annoying to replace them mainly)

So in the end I found an old junk module with cosmetic damage ( A Japan 'A' coincidentally but with some minor bubbles and an overly polished swirl back), old band and one of those $5 bezels I got recently and viola travel watch:
    Name:  WP_001926.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  109.8 KB
    Checked the gasket, lubed it up. New battery. It's lasted 20+ years so far, I am sure it will last another few weeks!

But... just for back up, my wife will wear her baby-G- which has world time.

Hope you enjoyed my collection and feel free to comment on which watch you travel with.
    Last edited by Davidro; December 17th, 2012 at 16:58.
    lvt and Chrisek like this.
    ~~: Vintage Screwback & Classic/JDM G collector :~~
    Screwbacks {DW5000C.. {DW5200.. {DW5400.. {DW5500C.. {DW5600C-1, 1V, 9V, 9CV, 5600B-3V, 5600D-1.. {DW5700..
    {DW5000-1JF.. {GW5000-1JF..
    Illuminators DW5300 DW6600, DW6600B, DW6600G-9V, DW6695-A, DW069, Dw6900, DW6900BF, DW8300 DW8120
    Other Watches: Rolex 116300 ( DatejustII), Orient Conductor, Sandoz Submariner.

Re: Travel watch for OS from my collection.

Seems to me you'd want a beater watch that has DT/WT capability for the trip as you don't want to risk your prized possessions, in which case you have already answered your own question.

Enjoy the honeymoon!

Strictly limited to G-Shocks, I'd still wear the GW-5000 for the honeymoon, but that's me.

Good luck to your trip!
    Current Rotation:
    Tudor Black Bay (on OEM bracelet) | Rado Original Automatic 648.0408.3.161 | Royal Orient WE0011JB | Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch 311.30.42.30.01.005 | Casio G-Shock GWF-1000-1DR

G-Shock collection:
    GW-M5630E-9JR, GA-400-4A, DW-6900SG, GW-5000-1JF, GWF-1000-1DR, GW-200Z-1DR, GW-9200-1, GX-56-1B, G-5600E, G-6900-1, DW-5600MS, G-7302RL (non-functioning)

Wishlist:
    Credor ​Eichi (when pigs fly) | Credor ​Eichi II (when fishes talk) | FP Journe Chronometre Bleu (acquired) | Urban Jurgensen & Sonner Ref. 3 (acquired) | D.Dornbluth & Sohn Cal. 99.5 (acquired) | Moritz Grossmann BENU Rose Gold ​(acquired)

**Sig limit reached...**

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

lvt

For a honey moon travel you will need the stopwatch and the world time functions.

A scenario similar to countless threads like "if you have to wear only one watch..." or "what would be your ultimate watch ?"

It seems that the GW-5000 will be your best choice.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    For a honey moon travel you will need the stopwatch and the world time functions.

A scenario similar to countless threads like "if you have to wear only one watch..." or "what would be your ultimate watch ?"

It seems that the GW-5000 will be your best choice.
    +1 for GW5000. Easier to change time at different cities. And why do you need a dual time when you have your sweetheart with you.

BTW, lvt, why do you need the stopwatch for a honey moon?

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by GShockMe View Post
    BTW, lvt, why do you need the stopwatch for a honey moon?

I think it might be useful, who knows :PPP
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Buy a new SGW-100 or something else with a compass. Might come in handy in a foreign town. I used the compass on my Suunto X-Lander all the time when visiting Berlin 2 yrs ago. However on my last vacation I wore my Traser Super Sport with a clip-on Suunto compass. But the problem was that the compass wouldn't work properly because of the steel case of the watch.

cheers, Sedi
    Last edited by Sedi; December 17th, 2012 at 23:34.
    Cheers
    Sedi

If I were to bring along a watch for a holiday, especially for honeymoon, I will bring along something iconic :) As a memory marker of sorts, and it'll be in the big pile of photos that I'm sure will be taken.

Plus it'll be a crime not to take some WRUW shots in front of heritage sites like those of Rome, wearing a special G, and share with us here in the forum :D

I started with 'If I were to...' because I normally avoid bringing a watch for overseas trips; it's extra PITA passing through customs and takes away my excuse to buy one at the destination! :D

----

Name:  WP_001939.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  126.0 KB
    Hi from Rome!
    And guess what?
    As soon as we got to Hong Kong airport the Baby-G battery died!!
    Unbelievable!- good old 5600C soldiered on like the trooper it is!
    Been an amazing trip so far, had noodles in Shanghai for lunch and spaghetti and pizza in the cobbled Roman streets for dinner.
    My wife was a bit mad at her G, as she hates not wearing a watch, but it hasn't really detered us from having an amazing trip so far.
    Rome is mindblowing!! What an amazing place !
    Last edited by Davidro; December 19th, 2012 at 06:17.
    GShockMe likes this.
    ~~: Vintage Screwback & Classic/JDM G collector :~~
    Screwbacks {DW5000C.. {DW5200.. {DW5400.. {DW5500C.. {DW5600C-1, 1V, 9V, 9CV, 5600B-3V, 5600D-1.. {DW5700..
    {DW5000-1JF.. {GW5000-1JF..
    Illuminators DW5300 DW6600, DW6600B, DW6600G-9V, DW6695-A, DW069, Dw6900, DW6900BF, DW8300 DW8120
    Other Watches: Rolex 116300 ( DatejustII), Orient Conductor, Sandoz Submariner.

Enjoy your trip! I have only been to Italy once but it was great.

Too bad about the battery dying, but it's a nice excuse to buy a new watch for your wife!
    It really shows that batteries always give at the most inconvienent time.

Thread Information