Travelling for two months - might go quartz/digi!
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Travelling for two months - might go quartz/digi!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Travelling for two months - might go quartz/digi!

Hi,

As I was unraveling my traveling plans to my grandparents, my grandfathers initial response was "you're not going to take one of your beautiful watches along, are you?". The man has a valid point ofcourse, makes no sense taking a fragile automatic or one with questionable WR to a humid environment where it'll surely see some abuse in different kind of forms. At first I was thinking about just getting some kind of very cheap beater, but something nags me buying a watch that will serve no purpose when I return back home. So that started me thinking about a G-Shock, and while I like to spend some time researching I'm feeling that every search is making my judgment more cluttered instead of simplifying things. I'm just not getting a grasp on all different models yet!

So, the travelling plans: Vietnam/Laos/Cambodja. Hiking and swimming most definitely, other adventurous plans surely coming along the way. My 'no-option' budget is about $100, willing to stretch if the watch serves extra purposes I can use along my journey (dual time, diff. timezones,...).

Current options:

1. DW5600E-1V

Liking the low price, retro look, relative small size and understatedness.

G6900KG-3CR

Bit more expensive, liking the looks better (somehow fits my destination IMO
    ). Has timezones but I'm a bit worried it's going to be too big on my wrist (blessed with 16cm/6.2" flat wrists).

So, with the info provided, what do you guys think my options are? And specifically for Euros: where can I order at the lowest price, shipping included? Thanks in advance!

Re: Travelling for two months - might go quartz/digi!

Something with dual time would be my choice... not sure which model for $100 though. I'm sure someone will come up with good model.

DW-5600e is relative expensive compared to USA, it costs here same as simple G-7900 or similar, so in EU it's not really a good deal, I think it's around 80 €.

GW-M5610 would be great choice, but at 112 € on amazon.de at the moments it's a bit out of your budget...

Either one will serve as excellent daily wear watches under humid conditions.

Go with a square because of your wrist size. I bought a DW-6900 but gave it away because I liked wearing the lower profile square.

I think you can also opt for a G-5600e for world time and tough solar functionality.
    boxcutter and MCZK like this.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Take a look at Mudman and Gulfman models (G-9000 and G-9100). Both are nice on a smaller wrists and are inexpensive.

Sent from my LT25i using Tapatalk

Solar and atomic GW-2310 for under $82 on Amazon. Has dual time zones. And big buttons.

Last edited by yankeexpress; December 18th, 2013 at 15:47.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account:

Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

Size comparison:
    GWX 5600, GW-2310, GW-M850, STW-1000. All solar, atomic and dual time and under or near $100.

850 is available in black and feels smallest. STW is not a G-Shock and feels biggest and comes in 7 color choices near $100.

Just noticed the times are all sync'd....I love that....from half way across the continent, 1400 miles from the transmitter.
    Last edited by yankeexpress; December 18th, 2013 at 16:15.
    Rocat likes this.

I agree with Ekan. If you're looking for G-Shock with a little more funk and function go for the Gulfman (I can testify for Gulfie, great watch for wet enviros) or Mudman. If you just want a basic G for your travels go with DW5600. It will handle whatever you encounter and look good on your wrist. Above all, enjoy your adventure!
    yankeexpress likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Harris View Post
    I agree with Ekan. If you're looking for G-Shock with a little more funk and function go for the Gulfman (I can testify for Gulfie, great watch for wet enviros) or Mudman. If you just want a basic G for your travels go with DW5600. It will handle whatever you encounter and look good on your wrist. Above all, enjoy your adventure!
    Yup, Muddys and Gulfies are awesome Gs, but you will have to shop carefully to find some of them cheap.

nigelw, KillaSkill and J.Harris like this.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account:

Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

Thanks for the quick replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Ottovonn View Post
    I think you can also opt for a G-5600e for world time and tough solar functionality.
    Really liking this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Ekan View Post
    Take a look at Mudman and Gulfman models (G-9000 and G-9100). Both are nice on a smaller wrists and are inexpensive.
    Sure about this? Mudman looks HUGE

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    Solar and atomic GW-2310 for under $82 on Amazon. Has dual time zones. And big buttons.
    Checks a lot of boxes for me, but I'm not a fan about that chrome-like "inner bezel"

It seems my first and second option in the first post have made a love child... the G5600KG-3 but I have a feeling availability (at the original listed price) is a very big issue...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information