Triage 7900 edition...
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rocat
  • 1 Post By Mike K

Thread: Triage 7900 edition...

Triage 7900 edition...

So, a while back I made a dumb mistake and forgot I left my GW7900B-1 on a shelf next to a bathroom light to charge indoors. By the time I remembered I slightly cooked the watch.

Everything still functions fine. The watch still tells time, moon and tide phases appear to be on, charges via indoor and outdoor light, and receives atomic signal (though dramatically slower than my MTG-900).

That said you can see from the below images there was some damage done: de-polarizing of the LCD and slight melting of the 'G' power button and a small spot of the band right below the button. From the images you can also see that the de-polarization is very limited though it still bugs me (forgive me for the blurry pic on the right).

My question is this... a replacement LCD is cheap so given the above I want to replace it, but could I possibly be doing more harm than good? There is always the risk that various gaskets/seals are melted or circuit boards have damage, etc that cannot be seen from the outside. What are the odds I open it up and end up in no mans land (eg in a position where internal damage means I cant really put the watch back together but replacement parts end up costing more than the project is worth (there is no money in the watch fund right now).

So, those more versed in the internals/modding/etc of Gs... should I live with the physical ailments of my stealth baby or order parts and prep for surgery to bring her back to glory??

Name:  7900.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  25.9 KB
    Last edited by SwedishElite22; December 27th, 2014 at 04:47.

Ω SMP 300M 2220.80 • Hamilton H78465553 • G-Shock GW7900B-1 • G-Shock MTG900 • Garmin FR10 (Selling) • DTW LE Chrono

True Grail : A. Lange & Söhne Zeitwerk

Re: Triage 7900 edition...

I do not think there will be any other damage further into the module; if that was your ultimate question. Give the lcd swap a shot. PacParts has them for $4.66 each. Just do the ole research under the tutorials for an lcd swap on a solar G.
    SwedishElite22 likes this.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Checked pacparts the other day and the LCD was back ordered, now it says discontinued.

Anyone know where else I can order from? Or, is there an at home repair (eg remind the film on the LCD and remake my own negative display)?
    Last edited by SwedishElite22; December 31st, 2014 at 02:51.

Ω SMP 300M 2220.80 • Hamilton H78465553 • G-Shock GW7900B-1 • G-Shock MTG900 • Garmin FR10 (Selling) • DTW LE Chrono

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You might try calling American Perfit, Casio's other official US parts distributor and see if they have one in stock. Blank Title - Home (Yes, that's really the 'name' of their website's home page. )

The only other parts distributor I can think of is Tiktox in the UK but shipping is apt to be expensive: https://www.tiktox.com/

Neither of those websites is in the same class as the one at Pacparts, so you'll probably have to call either place to try and get your part.

If you just need to replace polarization film, check out some of the "how to change the positive display to a negative" threads like https://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/how...ay-129102.html and https://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/vid...ay-934403.html -- you can get the polarization film from many places, or even use the lens from one of the newer "Real D" 3D glasses if you have a pair laying around.
    SwedishElite22 likes this.

Interesting that it is $16 for a 6'x10' sheet of the film when PAC Parts had the whole LCD for under $5.

http://www.polarization.com/polarsho...products_id=29

Thread Information