Trimming carbon fiber band tail (cutting and sanding)
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Trimming carbon fiber band tail (cutting and sanding)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Trimming carbon fiber band tail (cutting and sanding)

So I have the new GWR-B1000 carbon fiber Gravitymaster.

And yes, like every other G-Shock I've owned, the tail side of the strap is too long. (My wrists are anywhere from 5 7/8" to 6" on a good day, and round.)

It fits fine on top. But the tail is too long.

So, yes like every other G-Shock I've owned, I want to trim just the nub off the tail end so it doesn't pop out and catch on things.

I've read a few posts about how it's a waste and it will ruin the resale value. Well, I have no intention of selling, and I hate it getting stuck on things. Yes, I've added a second keeper. And no it doesn't stop it from getting snagged; plus, the nub is too thick to stick through the keeper without much effort.

The question now is: If I trim the nub of the tail using the razor blade and emory board method, will the inner CF insert start to delaminate from the resin cladding, or is the resin cladding an integral part of the insert?

Has anyone tried this and had the top and bottom resin start to separate or the CF layer fray? Were those a Torayca band?

Thanks!
    Active collection: MkII Hawkinge no-date; Garmin Instinct.
    On hold for next generation: Rolex Submariner 114060; Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Ultra-thin Small Seconds.

I used to love mechanical. Then I had to get one repaired. Now I love quartz.

Lowball offers, proscribed or unsolicited trade offers, and questions that may be answered readily by Googling will be courteously ignored.

Re: Trimming carbon fiber band tail (cutting and sanding)

Is it compatible for aftermarket straps?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S View Post
    Is it compatible for aftermarket straps?
    I don't know for certain, but like most other *-master G-Shocks, I'm pretty sure the strap is custom fitted to the case. This is especially so since it's a monocoque.

See image:

Name:  4549526216237_normal_0015_1024x1024.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  43.3 KB

Name:  4549526216237_normal_0019_1024x1024.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  56.7 KB
    On hold for next generation: Rolex Submariner 114060; Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Ultra-thin Small Seconds.

Lowball offers, proscribed or unsolicited trade offers, and questions that may be answered readily by Googling will be courteously ignored.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've added a spare keeper on a couple of long strap models/ones where end keeps popping out by adding a color match o-ring that fits snug over strap end
    Nemo_Sandman and Nolander like this.

I don’t have specific experience with these straps, but based on what I’ve done with reinforced resin, yes, if you cut it, you risk gradual delamination.

But there’s a solution: after you make the cut, seal the ends with a flexible epoxy like this one: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...dener--9223132

It doesn’t cure rigid, so the seal is less likely to crack and wear over time.

I would also recommend using scissors to cut it rather than a razor blade: seems more likely to sever the fibers cleanly at the new edge instead of leaving them poking out.
    biogon and Facelessman like this.

theres very few ppl that trim their bands on here let alone those that would even think of doing it to a cf band.

let us know how it goes!
    One struck by lightning is not the same as by a baseball or cabbage.

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

Quote Originally Posted by pl_gristle View Post
    I've added a spare keeper on a couple of long strap models/ones where end keeps popping out by adding a color match o-ring that fits snug over strap end
    You should try that solution IMHO.

Envoyé de mon SM-G965F en utilisant Tapatalk
    Adam020 likes this.

I would not cut the carbon leave it alone. Just use the spare keeper. If you wait for a bit in sure Jay and Kay's will have an adapter.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Adam020, Ryanjeepguy and kubr1ck like this.
    TAG Heuer Collector.

Quote Originally Posted by zack20cb View Post
    But there’s a solution: after you make the cut, seal the ends with a flexible epoxy like this one: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...dener--9223132

I would also recommend using scissors to cut it rather than a razor blade: seems more likely to sever the fibers cleanly at the new edge instead of leaving them poking out.

Ahh.... thank you! This is exactly what I was thinking. I was trying to find out the difference between the "resin" (purportedly) that Casio uses and a urethane-style polymer, which I assume would require different kinds of bonding agents.

Also an excellent suggestion regarding cutting instead of slicing -- you're absolutely right that the fine fibers will fray more easily.

I'll have to give this some thought.

FWIW my 6.5” wrist always has a flap, and it doesn’t bother me. Just adds wrist presence!

Name:  BED55ECC-7449-4387-A9DB-B0B5C45537EA_1557344527227.jpeg
Views: 65
Size:  2.17 MB

(XXXXX This probably won’t be possible due to the unique strap design with the cutout for the light button. XXXXX (Another option, since you said it’s been catching on things, would be to try reversing the sides: put the short end with the buckle on six o’clock, so the flap is on the other side of your wrist. Might work out better for you!)
    Last edited by zack20cb; May 8th, 2019 at 22:58.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information