Triple Crown of Surfing Frogman, GW-200TC-2JR saved from the brink of death
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Triple Crown of Surfing Frogman, GW-200TC-2JR saved from the brink of death

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Triple Crown of Surfing Frogman, GW-200TC-2JR saved from the brink of death

I got this GW-200TC Triple Crown Frogman recently on ebay, winning it in a bidding war. The price I got it for was pretty decent considering what these sometimes sell for in mint condition. The main reason it went for so little was because there was a big chip in the crystal, and the battery was dead. The seller said the watch was new, had never been worn. I don't know why there would be a chip in the crystal on a new watch, unless someone dropped it on the corner of a rock or something. When I received it, the condition was amazing. It still has the sticker on the caseback (although I peeked under a corner to make sure the sticker was in fact original and not hiding scratches). The overall condition made me think that this watch was in fact never worn, or maybe only worn for a week or so.

Here was the seller's photo:

That chip would be tough to deal with. Probably too deep to polish out, but luckily I happened to have a spare Frogman case center with the black border and the glass already installed (this is how the case centers come). So I took the frog apart and put it back together with the new case center.

Crystal problem solved!

What about the battery? After a week in the sun, the battery has not only spring back to life, but has been holding a charge quite well. I have a spare ML2016 battery just in case it doesn't hold a charge after a while, but it looks like it is going to be okay.

There were three versions of this watch: GW-200TC-2JR (blue band) GW-200TC-3JR (green/gray band) GW-200TC-4JR (red band). They all came out in 2005, and they are collaborations with the Triple Crown of Surfing contests in Hawaii. It is appropriate to get this now, because the 2013 Triple Crown of Surfing is currently going on! I surf myself, but nowhere near the level of the pros. This Frogman is the closest I will get to the Triple Crown, ha ha

Here are some photos after the case center swap and charge: Looks pretty amazing for an 8 year old G-Shock, I think! BTW, retail on this watch was $270. In just 8 years, look at how much more Casio is charging for their titanium Frogman limited edition watches!

Re: Triple Crown of Surfing Frogman, GW-200TC-2JR saved from the brink of death

KF, Very Nice
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

WOW. Looks awesome after it's been to your little wellness clinic... bravo and congratulations!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Holy crap. That is amazing. Great work, as always. I am impressed by this piece. What a great score.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

cst

Wow nice buy, I think I need a froggy in my collection sooner rather than later! I hope it's going to see some action in the surf soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, your watch refurbishes are always so impressive! Where in the heck did you get that 200 case center?! Very informative information as well! Congrats on a good deal!

Thanks everyone, I am pretty happy with it

Quote Originally Posted by Shocker View Post
    Wow, your watch refurbishes are always so impressive! Where in the heck did you get that 200 case center?! Very informative information as well! Congrats on a good deal!
    Thanks, there is a seller on ebay (vivipigly or something like that) who has been selling the case centers for $35, which is a great deal considering casio used to charge $150 back when they had them. (and yes these are genuine parts). He also was selling some modules. I bought a gw-204k module from him, which is on the way. I think he still has a case center and module listed. But be warned the border around the crystal is not the same for all models. I got lucky with this one but some models have different color borders on the edge of the glass.

Great info kung-fusion! I have been thinking this will be my "ultimate" Triple Crown watch. You have just reinforced that. :beer:

sent with aloha
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Wow that looks awesome, turned out really great!
    When was it ever a question of need?

Omega: Seamaster DeVille, Speedmaster 3523.80, Doxa: Sub 750T Pro GMT #387, Prometheus: S80 #75 of 150, Seiko: Alarm Chrono H249-5069, Chrono Diver 7T32-7E49, Black Monster SKX779K1, Orange Monster SKX781K1, Blue Sumo SBDC003, 5 Sports Blue Mini Monster, 5 Sports White Mini Monster, 5 Sports WSNK841, Type II 7559-601A, Casio: G-Shock DW-5000, PathFinder PRT-50, G-Shock DW-003, G-Shock GA100A-7A, G-Shock GD100HC-1, G-Shock G9000MS-1 Mudman, G-Shock G9000MX-2 Mudman, G-Shock G9000MX-4 Mudman, G-Shock GX56-1A King, G-Shock GW3000B-1A, G-Shock DW6900HM-2, G-ShocK DW6900-1V, SGW-100, G-Shock G5600CC-2DR, G-Shock GXW-56E-1JF King, G-Shock GF-8250ER-2 Frogman, G-Shock DW6930-4ER, G-Shock G-9100-2 Gulfman, G-Shock GX-56-1B King, Citizen: NaviHawk Blue Angels C300-Q00842, Largo Eco Drive BL5142-56P, Promaster 300m Pro Diver BJ8050-08E Ecozilla, Timex: Intelligent Quartz T 2N729, Fossil: Blue Titanium TI-5010, AM-4116, AM-2370, Arkitekt FS-4250...

Congrats, superb catch Kung, I do like all the Triple Crown Frogs; the red one looks like the Rising Red Ti Frog even! But it must be a great feeling to be in posession of a virtually brand new blue TC frog :)

Anyway, I hope you don't mind me picking your brain a bit, but I got a Green TC frog a while back, in used condition (I'm sure you got a better deal on your one!)- the case back is one of those chromed and polished types rather than being the bare brushed titanium case backs... there are some scratches, not very deep, but visible on mine so I was wondering how you would go about polishing these out on this type of case back, I read somewhere that certain abrasive pads work well on the brushed matte Ti surfaces?

Also, that 200 series Frog case you bought, did the buttons in it all come with springs in them- what did they look like? It's a bit random, but I happened to pick up some salvaged parts from a final frog a while ago and I've got a case (like the one in your photo) with some dodgy buttons (hence I'm asking), O-ring, a caseback, 4 band screws on the case, a bezel and one half of a pretty worn band :)

I was thinking if I tried to get hold of a module and a new band I might be able to bring this frog back to life - perhaps you could share on how easy (or hard) it was to transplant the module?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information