Trouble With Spring Bars
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Trouble With Spring Bars

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    HDS

Trouble With Spring Bars

Hi,

Im currently attempting to swap my GW6900 band with a DW5600 band (I prefer the the thinner 5600 band), however it is proving to be very difficult to get the spring bars to lock back into place. Any research I've done regarding this shows that it's a fairly common issue with G-Shocks, whether swapping bands or attaching an adaptor for NATOs, however nothing really addresses this issue head on.

I'm curious if anyone else has run into this issue, and may have some insight as to why this is happening, or any tips on getting the spring bars back into place.

Thanks

Re: Trouble With Spring Bars

Practice makes perfect.
    Make sure to compress the springbar few times and ensure the first corner is in place before putting the other side.
    Having the springbar tool also helps a lot.
    G-Shock GW-5000-1AJF
    G-Shock DW-5000-1JF
    G-Shock GW-5000B-1JR
    Omega Seamaster Professional 2254.50
    Omega Seamaster Professional 2254.50 (well you know, for backup)
    Rolex Osyter Perpetual 116000 Silver.

Quote Originally Posted by HDS View Post
    Im currently attempting to swap my GW6900 band with a DW5600 band (I prefer the the thinner 5600 band), however it is proving to be very difficult to get the spring bars to lock back into place. Any research I've done regarding this shows that it's a fairly common issue with G-Shocks, whether swapping bands or attaching an adaptor for NATOs, however nothing really addresses this issue head on.

I'm curious if anyone else has run into this issue, and may have some insight as to why this is happening, or any tips on getting the spring bars back into place.
    It generally seems to happen because unless the strap fits PERFECTLY into the lug, the holes in the strap don't line up perfectly with the holes in the lug. Thus, the springbar expands as much as it can, but to get it all the way into the hole you need to actually "help" the springbar expand to its full length by pushing the tips into the lugs.

As mentioned above, it's an especially common problem with strap adapters, which often have a tiny bit of extra plastic or "flashing" from the manufacturing process. That little bit sticks off the tip of the adapter and keeps it from going all the way into the lug -- you might want to make sure there's no excess material on the tip of the strap, though that's less probably less common.

Name:  lug alignment.png
Views: 543
Size:  5.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by gzpermadi View Post
    Having the springbar tool also helps a lot.
    People love to say that, but if you try to put wheels on a car and the size between the lug holes don't match up with the size of the bolt pattern, a better lug wrench isn't going to solve the problem.

A springbar tool is technically the "right" tool to use, but if the hole in the strap doesn't line up with the hole in the lugs, you're still going to have to PUSH the springbar into the hole, whether with a springbar tool, a tiny screwdriver, or the tip of a knife.
    domoon likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

HDS

Exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you for your help / info.

It may be worth noting that even when attempting to put the strap back on the original watch itself (the 5600 strap back on 5600 etc.) I'm still running into this issue of not being able to get the springbars to cooperate.

Thanks again

Any luck?

Quote Originally Posted by HDS View Post
    It may be worth noting that even when attempting to put the strap back on the original watch itself (the 5600 strap back on 5600 etc.) I'm still running into this issue of not being able to get the springbars to cooperate.
    You're certainly not alone with that problem, either!

I'm guessing Casio has some sort of automated process to install straps, where a machine compresses the springbar and presses the strap into the lug and isn't as bothered by a small lack of quality control -- but when we try to do it by hand, and with hand tools, it's noticeable.

Just make sure to keep pushing the springbar tips into the hole -- just hoping that they line up can cause the corners of the springbar holes to become "rounded out" and crater shaped so they won't hold the springbar. (I learned that the hard way a while back. Now I use a magnifying glass so I can SEE that the springbar "shoulders" are touching the lugs.)

take off the damn bezel first
    Mike K likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by G-fob View Post
    Good call! That often helps, since often the strap is pressing against the bezel, and I've never heard of it making the springbar process any worse!

I've learned to DO that when I'm fighting with springbars, now I just need to learn to SUGGEST it.

HDS

Quote Originally Posted by G-fob View Post
    Bingo. The bezel was preventing the band from lining up correctly. Once the bezel was removed, a little maneuvering got the spring bars to cooperate.

Thanks for your help everyone
    waterdude likes this.

It's kind of a pain. I've found, especially for strap adapters, that using thinner generic spring bars is much easier than the thicker Casio bars.
    Kev55 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information