Two week old Riseman review.

Thread: Two week old Riseman review.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Two week old Riseman review.

I've had my GW-9200 Riseman exactly two weeks now, and as it's my very first G-Shock I thought I would share my first impressions. It's more a way for me to collate my thoughts, and whilst I don't expect I wll tell anyone anything they don't already know, I will be interested to hear your thoughts on my thoughts!

Pro's.

• As this is my very first G I was a bit apprehensive about it's size, it's not that I dislike big watches, more that I have no experience of them. But first impressions when I opened the box were very positive, it is big enough to look tough and chunky, but not so big as to be obstructive with clothing etc. I was very impressed with the general feel and weight of the watch.

• I really like the MBJ version too, but thats not to detract from the look of this watch. I like the contrast of red and black with the silver fittings.
    • The strap is very comfortable for me. I like the adjustability of a resin band as I can tighten/loosen it as required, and I love the double clasp.
    • I love the Auto EL, very clever and equally useful. I do however wish I could adjust to stay on for 5 seconds as per some others, as 2 seconds is a bit short sometimes.
    • It's very easy to use, the buttons feel solid and are easy to press, and their functions are very intuitive. Setting of alarms, countdown timers are very straightforward.
    • The altimeter has so far proved very accurate. I set the reference altitiude every day (at least once!) and have not yet tired of cross referencing my destinations with Google Earth
    • In two weeks (of admittedly sunny weather) even with lots of fiddling the battery has never moved from High.

Con's.

• The time is not visible in the altimeter function! Very frustrating!

• In temp/pressure mode it returns to time mode after a period of time (3 mins?) Why? I would far rather have temp/pressure as a secondary reading than day and date personally!
    • Five alarms are all very well, but one that was loud enough to actually wake me would be preferable! Reading on here this seems to be a common Casio problem ....
    • The barometer Admittedly it's early days, and I do live near the coast in the Uk which has a maritime climate, but it's up and down all the time! The below picture is not the best, but the Red Eye graph is up and down so much it's impossible to take a meaningful reading from it. How do others find it?

• On the subject of the barometer, is it accurate? I haven't dare change it, but compare it daily to readings from a weather station online about 20 miles away, and they are significantly higher (10 -20 hPa sometimes). I'm still monitoring this.

Well thanks for taking the time to read this Overall i am very pleased with the watch, and am sure it will be first of many! Much as I would love an MBJ I can't justify having one so similar when there are so many different models to choose from.

Let me know your comments, good and bad please

There's a few gratuitous pics below. I'm enjoying playing about with my basic Coolpix 2.3mp camera taking these shots, I just grabbed these quickly tonight, natural light would have been better, but hey ho! Enjoy :thanks

Current G's:
    GW-9200J-1 Riseman
    DW-004ASJ-8AT (stealthed)
    DW-9800 Wademan AR-3T ARTI
    DW-8800AJ ADMA's Full set of 5

Wish List:

G-7900 1ER - GW-7900B-1JF - GW-M5600BC -
    G-9000-8DVR Stormtrooper - GW-9100MB-1JF Gulfman - FTS-100 Forester

Re: Two week old Riseman review.

That's all pretty spot on, thanks! I agree with you about the EL time, especially on the MBJ version - by the time my eyes have adjusted to the lit display it's gone off! And there's a lot of information to look at too.

For me, the alt/baro is just an extra, and I'd have been just as happy with the watch if they weren't there at all. I like the look, the comfortable wear, and the display. If ABC functions are important to you, get an ABC with a bigger display and the larger graphical record.

Anyway, we're both enjoying our Risemen which is the whole point

The Riseman is my favourite watch (well definitely my most useful watch)... to the point where I should have three different versions by this time next week (currently have a standard black one and a multi band MIRO version).

In my experience, the Barometer is as accurate as any of my other Barometric Casios but it seems to hate coastal climates. It predicts the weather very well in Manchester but when we go to our place in Spain, it seems to have a tough time keeping up with the ever-changing conditions. Saying that though, I don't think anything could predict it 100% there... we're in between Marbella and Malaga and you can see the weather fronts coming in on one side of the balcony whereas the other side is as blue as you like!

Great, great watch... the only thing I'd change is the size of the rather small Barometric graph window.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great review of a great watch! Well done and thanks for sharing.

...thx for this review, haven't bought a G in a long time so i just ordered an MBJ Rise' from seiya-san.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post
    Con's.

• The time is not visible in the altimeter function! Very frustrating!
    lol, if you think THIS is frustrating, you better NEVER EVER buy another G

[LIST][*]In temp/pressure mode it returns to time mode after a period of time (3 mins?) Why? I would far rather have temp/pressure as a secondary reading than day and date personally!
    temp is useless anyway when the watch is on your wrist and pressure readings are power consuming, so casio decided it not to design that way...

[*]Five alarms are all very well, but one that was loud enough to actually wake me would be preferable! Reading on here this seems to be a common Casio problem ....
    right, casio alarms suck - at least when used as wake-ups. they are useful reminders for a specific event but thats about it.

[*]The barometer Admittedly it's early days, and I do live near the coast in the Uk which has a maritime climate, but it's up and down all the time! The below picture is not the best, but the Red Eye graph is up and down so much it's impossible to take a meaningful reading from it. How do others find it?
    well lets face it: the alti/baro function of the riseman is a gimmick, a toy nothing more. there are plenty other watches out there which will do a significant better job when used as weather-stations and if one is looking for a better to read, higher resolution barograph.

• On the subject of the barometer, is it accurate? I haven't dare change it, but compare it daily to readings from a weather station online about 20 miles away, and they are significantly higher (10 -20 hPa sometimes). I'm still monitoring this.
    • 10-20hpa (about 80-170 meters in altitude)is WAY off, so you should calibrate it anyway. don't worry you can't go wrong with that. once calibrated it should be pretty stable (drifts of about +/- 2hpa are normal, though it should get even closer to a pro weather station)

Well thanks for taking the time to read this Overall i am very pleased with the watch, and am sure it will be first of many!
    once again, take my advise in point no. 1, enjoy anyway

regards, holger
    We are 12.6 %

temp is useless anyway when the watch is on your wrist
    sorry it is not useless,

As for me my temps run about from 5 to 6 C higher on my wrist, so all I have to do is do the math 32 on wrist >>>>>>>> real temps would be 26 or 27, so how is this useless???/
    My Collection so far:
    CASIO: PRX-2000YT-1JF * PRX-2000T-7JF * PRW-60

Great watch and review I think some
    of us forget that this is a G shock watch with lots of functions. It is not a scientific instrument and I have had very good readings on mine. but they will vary I dont know how much but mine has been great. I was showing it to someone one morning and I said with the dots going down like that is should be raining within 3 mins it sprinkled. It does jump around sometimes. I do agree about the EL timming. I dont understand why the have to put 09 on the main screen who doesnt know what freaking year it is

As far as time in all screens that is an issue for lots of folks but casio for some reason does not seam to understand it. I dont really know how many G fit all everybodys requirements thats why most of us have several G shocks and maybe thats what casio wants

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi
    Riseman Rising Dragon, Pathfinder PRG80, Oceanus, G1000H

Quote Originally Posted by dctokyo View Post
    sorry it is not useless,

As for me my temps run about from 5 to 6 C higher on my wrist, so all I have to do is do the math 32 on wrist >>>>>>>> real temps would be 26 or 27, so how is this useless???/
    Agreed. I've cross-referenced the math in my head with the actual temp on my high-end wall monitoring system, and it's always accurate to within +- 1 F. That's pretty damn useful.
    Ticking Away the Moments that Make Up a Dull Day

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Quote Originally Posted by dctokyo View Post
    sorry it is not useless,

well then, lets see how you do your "math" under different conditions, eg. during a very hot summer, a very cold winter, riding a bike (cooling), standing in bright sunlight without shade, working in a well climated office on a desk ect, etc.

don't you think you get different readings all the time? i certainly do. lets face it: the only possibility to know the excat temperature ist to take off the watch from your wrist, lets say for 20-30 minutes. anything else is not "math" but guess.

regards, holger
    We are 12.6 %

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information