U.S. Mudman Release-Why not Atomic?

Thread: U.S. Mudman Release-Why not Atomic?

U.S. Mudman Release-Why not Atomic?

I'm just curious as to why the U.S. version of the new mudman is not Atomic? All the last Master of G series, ie. Riseman and Mudman, were released in the U.S. with Solar AND Atomic versions. Just wondering why, and curious if they will release atomic U.S. versions of the mudman in the future? I really don't feel like shelling out over $350 for a JDM Mudman when I bought my solar atomic Risman and GW9000 mudman for under $150.
    C

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate, so we can buy [email protected]# we don't need" - Tyler Durden

"I have beaters for my beaters" -Me

Re: U.S. Mudman Release-Why not Atomic?

the quintessential G-Shock question. Japanese version of the chicken and the egg.

I wish it were too. It really sucks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post
    I'm just curious as to why the U.S. version of the new mudman is not Atomic?
    I think you just answered your own question.

Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post
    I really don't feel like shelling out over $350 for a JDM Mudman.
    Unlike us G enthusiasts, I don't think the general consumers of America will spend several hundreds dollars on a "Casio" watch. Marketing is the name of the game I suppose.

I remember when I first got into G's I thought $350 for a GW-225E was mental and it isn't atomic...
    Last edited by G_Me; November 20th, 2011 at 08:36.

The thing is however - if you compare prices in yen the differences between atomic and non-atomic versions would be the same as between atomic and non-atomic US-released models (same is true for european releases) the atomic version is that much more expensive only because it is a JDM version and the yen is so strong. So price is not really the answer to that question. The strange thing is also that at least in Germany we get all the latest atomic Protreks which are often much more expensive than an atomic G-Shock - and we're talking about a price difference of maybe 100% or even more. A PRW-5100 costs an MSRP of 439€ (!!) in Germany. And we also did get the latest PRW-2500. So if Casio really thinks people won't pay their prices why do they release all those super expensive Protrek models while at the same time refuse to release a GW-9300 in europe or the US?
    Just for comparison - the only non-atomic JDM GX was the DGK which costs 21,000 yen ~ 273US$ - the GXW-56 is 27,000 ~ 352US$ - difference of 79US$ (in € ~ 58) - I think they could still sell enough of those to justifiy an international release. And the difference is about the same as between other atomic and non-atomic releases.
    Well, but maybe Casio's internal sales numbers tell a different story.

cheers, Sedi
    Last edited by Sedi; November 21st, 2011 at 03:30.
    Cheers
    Sedi

Thread Information