Uh Oh, This just in...GW-5000 review, pics, thoughts...
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Uh Oh, This just in...GW-5000 review, pics, thoughts...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Uh Oh, This just in...GW-5000 review, pics, thoughts...

I just received my 2 GW-5000's in the mail this afternoon from Higuchi! First off, just let me say that they had excellent service and I would use them
    again

The GW-5000 has been reviewed many times and most of you are very familiar with the watch so I'm going to cut to the chase and let you know what I think of it, and if it lives up to the hype etc. I mainly wanted to do this for all those out there that have been on the fence with weather or not they should commit those hard earned G dollars to the GW-5000 or just stick with a cheaper version and save their cash. That was the boat I was in over the last several months.

I have been living with a GWM-5600 and a GW5600-J for the last several months as my daily wears. I really came to appreciate their simple design and straight forward features. They were the only G's in my collection that I felt I could wear to work with a suit as well as casually elsewhere. For some reason, my eyes are often drawn to the various circles and graphs that are typical of many G displays. It's not a deal breaker for me, but I find them distracting and would certainly prefer my displays to be without them. I found the layout of the GW5600/5000 series to be the most pleasing for my eyes. Everything you need, and nothing you don't. Their size is also very reasonable. They are perfect for those with smaller wrists like myself. Very comfortable.

So after deciding that The GWM5600 was by far my favorite Gshock, I wondered if I should take the plunge and purchase the ultimate G in the 5000 series. $400 is a LOT of money to spend on any watch, much less a Gshock. So as any compulsive WIS, or G-Shocker would do, I decided to take the plunge...

It looks like a basic square G to anyone who comes across it, but its a wolf in sheep's clothing. Its fun knowing that under the resin lies a solid chunk of DLC coated steel. The display is as nice as any 5600 series. It's most similar to the GWM-5600 except for the red line, dot instead of the dash on the date, and various wording changes.

The 5600-J is the most similar in colors. Both come with very nice all black designs with very light G-Shock Lettering. By far my favorite color schemes. My 5600-J has been stealthed though. The 5600-J is missing the day though. I do like that the GW-5000 also has the Day display.

So is the GW-5000 worth the $400 price tag that it commands vs the $80-$100 that it's solar atomic brothers have? This is a question that only the individual G-shock fan can answer. Most people, including myself are after the screwback and extra weight. Some are after it's rareness. I personally could care less about the rareness. It's the weight and the screwback that drew me in. Knowing that my favorite G would be...just that much better. The weight and feel of the GW-5000 is very nice indeed, but I definitely wouldn't say it's a night and day difference though either. The weight is just enough and not too much. It has an excellent feel overall. The DLC coating really does nothing for me either. It's very well done and looks great, but I would have just as much appreciated a regular S.S. screwback.

If I were looking at all of this "Objectively", I would most certainly say that the GW-5000 is NOT worth the extra money over the other models. Other than the softer resin band, an the DLC screwback and extra weight, there really is nothing else to pull one in. In the end, it's just a digital, resin watch. So if I were a Gshock fan that doesn't have a ton of extra cash, and the square G's are just "Likes" and not "Loves", I would not waste your money. You will be just as happy with the GWM-5600 or a GW5600-J and still have an extra $300 to spend on other G's.

However, looking at this watch from a "Subjective" standpoint, I highly recommend this watch to any G-Fan that has the extra money to put towards this watch, who really has a passion for and appreciates the simplicity of the square design. It's a definite upgrade and has a classic presence that will stand the test of time. As a friend of mine recently told me, "This is a watch, that once you start wearing it, you will soon realize that you don't need any other watches". It's just that good. This watch will be my travel watch, an everyday wear watch, and an everything in-between watch Well, except for a beater, it definitely won't be that!

Last edited by scooby; June 5th, 2012 at 04:25.
    C

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate, so we can buy [email protected]# we don't need" - Tyler Durden

"I have beaters for my beaters" -Me

Re: Uh Oh, This just in...GW-5000 review, pics, thoughts...

What a subtly beautiful watch. Thank you for the pictures and the review.

What a great watch! And it's not even a month old! 129B in serial number (well, it's not a real serial number but more like a factory and date stamp) means that it has started it's life on the 8th of May.
    Please excuse my imperfect English :)

MY SMALL COLLECTION @WATCHSHOCK: CLICK

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

LUW

To me the most important "feature" is the screw-back. Even at those prices, if I didn't have to go through the hassle and stress of overseas buying, just because of the screw-back I think I would go for it.
    Congrats man, a terrific piece!
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Quote Originally Posted by Tretton View Post
    What a great watch! And it's not even a month old! 129B in serial number (well, it's not a real serial number but more like a factory and date stamp) means that it has started it's life on the 8th of May.
    That's good info! I had no idea those numbers meant anything more than a direct identification to that specific watch. Thanks!
    C

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate, so we can buy [email protected]# we don't need" - Tyler Durden

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Very nice write-up, Scooby. You got *2* of them?? One as your beater and another as a backup (or perhaps you bought one for a friend)?

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said:
    "So is the GW-5000 worth the $400 price tag that it commands vs the $80-$100 that its solar atomic brothers have? This is the question that only the individual G-shock fan can answer."

In some ways, I wish CASIO had taken some further design liberties with this model. It's not an anniversary edition, so it doesn't need to "exactly replicate" the 5000 design. What I'd have appreciated seeing is a few "gaps" in the bezel resin, showing off the DLC coating underneath. Similar to what CASIO did with the G-2000, where the polished stainless steel case shows through 4 gaps in the bezel resin.

Kung-fusion went the "self assembly" route for one of his GW-5000's. Back then, the cost of all the parts added up to about 75% of the cost of a new GW-5000. And now? It's pretty much the same, after the latest pricing increase at PacParts. I'd thought about buying just the case, case back, and resin strap, then sticking in my own module with glass of choice (the GW-5000 glass is discontinued now). You're just better off going with a complete one.

Anyway, the only way I'll get one of these is on the used market. Lately, the resale hasn't lowered very much below a new one, but I suspect that will eventually change. My threshold is $300.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    Very nice write-up, Scooby. You got *2* of them?? One as your beater and another as a backup (or perhaps you bought one for a friend)?
    Yes, I reluctantly purchased 2 of them. I'm known to buy seconds of all my favorite watches. I have doubles with my Tag2000, Seiko SBCM023, and Omega Seamasters. I'm known to have "Beaters for my Beaters"! I know it's completely irrational, but I take comfort in the fact that I can wear my watch worry free knowing there is a perfect one waiting in the wings. I really have to get over that because it's a waste and rather expensive. I mainly do that with watches that are no longer in production or are extremely hard to find...Hense the GW5000, Tag2000 professional, SBCM's, and quartz Seamasters. I'm also getting my father a retirement watch. I purchased him a GW9300, but I thought he might like the easier to read display on the GW5000. I haven't decided which to give him yet, but if it's not the GW5000, I have a backup, or I figured it would be easy enough to sell down the road. When these things only go on sale a few times a year, I feel like i have to pounce as I've been waiting for this one for some time. I admit I am a complete victim of "Scarcity Marketing, Limited Quantities, Must act Fast etc". I thought I would never see the GW-5000. I thought it was done, but I'm glad it's still being made, even if in limited quantities.
    Last edited by scooby; June 5th, 2012 at 01:50.
    C

I'm in for GW-5000 not the rarity or screwback, It is the sheer beauty, elegance of the display design.
    It is the best looking 5000/5600 to date.

Outstanding!

I love this watch!

Regards,
    Adam
    DW-002BM-8, DW-003R-9T, DW-5600BB-1ER, DW-5600GLRZ2, DW-5600GRLZM, DW-5700BE, DW-5700SF2, DW-6900-7BUFF, DW-6900MT-7ER, DW-6900CL-4CR, DW-6900KR-8JR, DW-6900FS, DW-6901UD-3ER, DW-8800AB-9T, DW-9100BJ-2A, G-001BE, GA-110DR-1A, GA-111DR-7A, GA-120BB, GD-X6900AL-2, GD-X6900-7TY2, GD-X6900JC, GD-X6900MNM, GD-X6900MH, GDF-100BB, GLX-150-4DR, GMW-B5000D-1, GMW-B5000TFG-9, GPR-B1000TLC-1JR, GPW-2000, GST-B100D-1A, GST-200RBG, GT-100, GW-5000-1JF, GW-5530C, GW-9400-1ER, GW-9400-3ER, GW-9430EJ-9JR, GW-9400KJ, GW-9401KJ, GWG-1000, GWM-5600TH-1, GWN-Q1000, GXW-56-3JF, GXW-56-4JF, GXW-56BB-1JF

May 8 must have been a good day for GW5000's as mine (arrived June 1) also has the 129b serial number.

T
    scooby likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information