UK Freesat questions

Thread: UK Freesat questions

G-Shock & Sales Moderator DragonJade's Avatar

Off topic UK Freesat questions

I was thinking of getting my parents a new TV for Christmas as a surprise. I was looking at the LG 37LF7700 with Freesat HD.

I haven't lived in the UK for a long time now so I'm not too clued up about Freesat. I've had a look on the internet but it's a bit confusing, what with paying for a decoder, free channels yet you have to pay Sky money, and the need to have a satellite dish installed.

My parents have a Sky dish but don't currently have access to Freesat. Is it a simple case of connecting the dish up to the TV to get the signal, or is some fee still needed, or is payment to Sky needed to pick up the Freesat signals, rendering the point of the TV having Freesat HD null and I can get a cheaper TV?

Thanks.

Get your WUS badge now from the WUS store.
    >> Support WUS by clicking through to our sponsors sites. <<
    >> Buying from a sponsor? Tell them WUS sent you. <<

Re: UK Freesat questions

I'm on cable so I'm not entirely sure - but I thought Freesat was a limited satellite service without monthly payments. If you want a full range of satellite programmes you need to pay for them via Sky, Virgin Media, etc.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

You just plug the existing satellite cable into the TV. It is free--- you don't need a Sky subscription. The Wikipedia article has loads of info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freesat

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I had a quick look at the channels you get on Freesat, and you don't really get that many-at least there doesn't seem to be that many more than you get with freeview through a normal aerial.

I don't know if it's just the area I live in,or just Sky, but satellite reception has never impressed me. We have had freeview through the normal aerial for a number of years, and have just changed to cable (Virgin, who use fibre-optic cabling), neither of which cut out every time there's a little bit of rain or wind! The other advantage of freeview is that it uses the rf aerial you already have, so you just plug it in and it works, there's hardly any setting up.
    'I never done it'

Dragonjade,

I have just bought a new LG 50PS3000 Plasma TV and a Humax Foxsat HDR HD freeview recorder.

I have bought a dish for £35.00 including quad LNB, although only twin is needed for the Humax or, as in your case, a single LNB for a TV connection. BBC and ITV are broadcast in HD if this helps you. I'm not bothered to be honest I only bought freesat for the funcationality of the box as it can also receive non-freesat channels too.

If they can receive digital freeview where they are I would get them a TV and a Humax 9300t recorder.

Hope this helps.
    PRX-2000T-7JF
    DW-8400Z-1T
    DW-8400BK-1MJF
    DW-8400LG-8JR
    DW-8400NK-3T
    DW-8400Y-9T
    DW-8400G-1
    DW-8400-1V
    DW-8400BM-1T

I just called home. Looks like my mum recently paid £300(!) for someone to put in a Technomate TM-3000D and a couple of dishes. Mum is impressed with the free channels on it (including Freesat), but no HD with the . I think I'll go for a 37LH3000 which is £50 cheaper than the 37LF7700 which has a Freesat decoder in it. I think that will do for now and then I'll work out what to get for a new HD decoder later. Maybe a TM-6800 or a Humax Foxsat HDR HD. Does the Humax Foxsat HDR HD pick up everything the TM-3000D does?

The foxsat will pick up free to air channels but has limited functionality, such as an EPG that does NOT allow scheduling for recording. Also, switching between freesat and non-freesat has its own probelms.

The foxsat is one of the best freesat boxes but its not a good one for free to air.

Have you been on avforums to get reviews? It's a good place to gen up at.
    PRX-2000T-7JF
    DW-8400Z-1T
    DW-8400BK-1MJF
    DW-8400LG-8JR
    DW-8400NK-3T
    DW-8400Y-9T
    DW-8400G-1
    DW-8400-1V
    DW-8400BM-1T

I've popped in and out over the years at avforums but haven't spent too much time here. Been a bit absorbed with watches. Ahem.

What's this problem with switching between Freesat and non-Freesat on the decoder?

loosing all the stored channels and recordings if they are on a PVR.
    PRX-2000T-7JF
    DW-8400Z-1T
    DW-8400BK-1MJF
    DW-8400LG-8JR
    DW-8400NK-3T
    DW-8400Y-9T
    DW-8400G-1
    DW-8400-1V
    DW-8400BM-1T

Oh, dear. That doesn't sound very good.

Thread Information