Ultimate feature set?

Thread: Ultimate feature set?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ultimate feature set?

We all know, or imagine (correct me if I'm wrong), that software side of the watches is quite cheap.
    What in your opinion would be the most complete feature set of a watch? For the sake of this thread, we can ignore the physical aspect of the watch.
    The first and best implemetations of modes I can now think of are:
    1. stop watch x2 1000h each (just like Mudman, G-7900)
    100 laps capacity with recall function (just like G-7700)
    2. countdown timer 24h, settable to the second
    3. 4 alarms, 1 snooze, hourly chime, active between set hours (just like G-7700)
    4. moon phases with at least 8 moon segments
    5. tide graph
    6. world time in 3 timezones at a glance

What other modes do you know? Post them below.

Re: Ultimate feature set?

I like the Sunrise/Sunset-feature. Not available in a G-Shock but in some Protreks (i.e. PRW-2000).
    The Riseman with this feature would be great
    My watches:
    Sinn 104 St Sa A | Casio CBX-1000 | Casio WV-M120 | Junghans Mega1 | Junghans Olympic

number 3 and number 6 were perfect and very useful things on my G7700. Too bad I've sold it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

How about the new brighter led backlight advertised for the GD-100 models.

I also think the double holed strap and 'lip' end of the Riseman is a must.

Casio seem quite lazy-Im sure they could release a watch with a module featuring a large majority of all their functions. But it would stop sales of other models.
    ONLY EVER OWNED G-SHOCKS...

The 5600E-type module has everything I want, with the possible exception of world time. For me, if you have to spend more than a minute reading the manual (and remembering it) a watch has gone beyond true usefulness and into gadget territory.

Which is fine, if you value complexity, but I don't.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    The 5600E-type module has everything I want, with the possible exception of world time.
    I couldn't agree more. As far as I'm concerned, they've never topped it.
    " Don't trust anyone who says they're too good for an SKX007 and claims to be a WIS" - A Pine Tree

Watches: Rolex GMT Master II 16760,
    Rolex Submariner 14060M, Doxa 750T Sharkhunter, Doxa 1200T Professional, Marathon SS Navigator (1992 Kuwait), Seiko SRP777, Seiko SKA427P1, Seiko SKX007, Garmin Fenix 5, Suunto Core and countless G-Shocks

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    The 5600E-type module has everything I want, with the possible exception of world time.
    Umm, in some aspects, I agree - but I also find several annoyances with the DW-5600E; In general, I find all Casios have at least one thing they mis, but this module is the most frustrating one I know of - in some areas the DW-5600E is excellent, its clos eto be the watch - but others, well, it's bad...

I really like the lack of world time, and the way CDT and STW works - all 3 are simply excellent at my opinion. And the simplicity is very nice too.

However, I dislikes the light is on the lower-right button and the lack of scrolling up and down, and the missing snooze alarm.

I'd need a watch that ran Linux for all the features I'd want.

0. Time visible to the second in all modes.
    1. 7 weekly alarms.
    2. 2 1,000 hour stopwatches.
    3. 168 hour countdown timer settable to the second.
    4. World Time visible in timekeeping mode.
    5. Multiband 6.
    6. Tough Solar.
    7. Moon & Tide purely for bling factor.

My dream watch goes like this (crazy rant to follow):
    I set it for a 168 hour roll that starts with my alarm waking me up to go to the gym at 0900. At that time it starts the 5:13 countdown until my train runs. 7 minutes to the next station. Next train leaves in 4 minutes. 16 minutes to work. Countdown until I clock in, then 10 minutes to my first class, 40 minutes for the duration of that class, repeat 5x (silent), then 80 minutes for my last class. Countdown until Tuesday morning's alarm...

Maybe I just need about 60 168 hour countdown timers on repeat with a week in a padded room to set them all.

I wonder if any of the old programmable Timexes had enough RAM to do this.

I think that the G-7700, G-7900 and GW-9200 cover maybe about 70% of all the features you'd ever need. But right now I'm pretty happy with the DW-5000SL. I even like that you work the stopwatch and timer with the upper right button - much more comfy than with the lower button. Since I use the timer/STW more often than the EL I like it that way. More alarms and a snooze would be nice of course but you can't have everything. However I sure wish that Casio came up with another Multiband-6 model with the following specifications:
    - time visible in all modes or at least in timer and stopwatch mode
    - 24 timer
    - 24 hr stopwatch
    Frankly I'm quite disappointed with many of the newer solar/atomic models because they all have the same functions as a GW-6900 - no time in other modes and 24hr timer/STW and worldtime. I think that no Multiband-6 model has topped the GW-9200 so far - yes, the tide/moon feature on the GW-7900 might be nice but no time in other modes once again .

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

@Lord Monocle
    Wouldn't it be enough to show time to the nearest alarm? I still have a Timex Datalink watch that may have been able to do that. At least I remember a nice timer mode with a number of sub-timers that are just perfect for working out, eg. 1min workout, 2 minute rest, 1:30 workout, 2 minute rest, 2:00 workout, 1:00 rest, ets. The whole series guided you through a session. Really nice. And settable to the second! Why Timex could do it and Casio sometimes cannot is just beyond me.

@Sedi, well, I guess I really will need GW-9200 ;) It was anyway on my "I like" list, as opposed to 6900s or 5600s which never appealed to me. Don't know why.

What other "special" modes do you know? Maybe some Frogman-specific modes?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information