Unboxed G-Shock, only half a minute off?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Unboxed G-Shock, only half a minute off?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unboxed G-Shock, only half a minute off?

I've just unpacked a new G-Shock from its tin, and first checked the time. It was 24+/- 2 seconds ahead. Production date was 2012-12-19.

From the looks of it, it has not been touched at the dealer. No fingerprints, no slightly damaged edges in the booklets. So i suppose it has not been removed from its tin since it was produced, and therefore was also not able to synchronize with a time signal since.
    (It's a multiband 6 watch/GW-A1000). Half a minute in about 16 months would be an inaccuracy of around 2 s a month.
    Chrisek likes this.

Re: Unboxed G-Shock, only half a minute off?

Quote Originally Posted by sdog View Post
    I've just unpacked a new G-Shock from its tin, and first checked the time. It was 24+/- 2 seconds ahead. Production date was 2012-12-19.

From the looks of it, it has not been touched at the dealer. No fingerprints, no slightly damaged edges in the booklets. So i suppose it has not been removed from its tin since it was produced, and therefore was also not able to synchronize with a time signal since.
    (It's a multiband 6 watch/GW-A1000). Half a minute in about 16 months would be an inaccuracy of around 2 s a month.
    Many of the atomic Gs can tell you the exact time they last sync'd. Not sure about the A1000.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

I'm afraid it does not have a digital display to do so.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Just curious. How can I find the build date of my G-Shocks?

Dave.

learned on this forum today:

On some G-Shock is a batch number. I has the form: 001A123B

001A would be the fab code
    123 Is the 123 day of
    B the first year of the decade (counterintuitively A is year -1 of a decade)
    if it was lately manufactured B is 2011, C 2012

Just checked my GW-9010. It synced on December 30 2013 for the last time. (it's in a wooden box)
    It is less then 1 (more like 0.5) second behind my daily wear atomic watch.

Another watch I found again after missing for at least 15 years (W-71) is less then 7 minutes fast :)

That's rather surprising captain kidd. The last non-atomic g-shock i had used to be off by several seconds a week. In the winter more than a second a day. I noticed since i tended to miss the train when i didn't set the watch fortnightly.

The wave-ceptor casio from 2000 was even off by a whole minute, when i returned after a months trip to china (no reception). It was rather badly calibrated, which wasn't noticed as i never missed reception for a day where i lived.

A question related to this:
    I've read here on the forum that some atomics would calibrate themselves, based on the comparison of time signal and its own time measurement. I did not quite follow if this was (i) for only specific models, (ii) a wish, (iii) announced for future gshock, (iv) for all (recent) atomics.

G-Shocks are, when worn regularly thermo-regulated anyway. With the thick case, lots of plastics, insulating gel/foam and the metal back they are most likely very stable near skin temperature. Perhaps around (30 +/- 5) C. That's such a small temperature range that it hardly ought to influence quartz frequency.
    Last edited by sdog; April 25th, 2014 at 01:44. Reason: double post avoided

In the winter more than a second a day. I noticed since i tended to miss the train when i didn't set the watch fortnightly.
    Wow, and I thought my life was down to the wire. That's impressive.
    Last edited by idkfa; April 25th, 2014 at 05:09.
    Chrisek likes this.

Yeah, when I unboxed my last watch (GW-9300), I immediately noticed how accurate it was (only 2 s off or so) and — really, to this day it's the most accurate G-shock I ever owned, ±0.08 s/day. This way (syncig daily) my watch is never more than 0.1 s off, which I absolutely love.

Casio guarantees max ±0.5 s/day.

Auto-adjusting (automatic gain control) seems to be only (ii) a wish (mine certainly at any rate).

G-shock movements are not thermo-compensated (they would have to cost much more if they were, and I am not sure whether Casio would ever see a market for such a product), but yes, they tend to be more accurate when worn 24/7.
    Last edited by madman01; April 25th, 2014 at 04:10.

A question related to this:
    I've read here on the forum that some atomics would calibrate themselves, based on the comparison of time signal and its own time measurement. I did not quite follow if this was (i) for only specific models, (ii) a wish, (iii) announced for future gshock, (iv) for all (recent) atomics.
    As stated above most likely a wish. All my casio's are atomic and two drift even after a sync. I've read of reports on this on the forum but was never able to confirm. My A1000 is dead on accurate with time.is but when it misses a sync, after a day or two it's -1/-2 sec. Compare that to my 9300 which is 1 sec ahead or very close to it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information