Unboxing and Review: DW-D5600P-1JF
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Unboxing and Review: DW-D5600P-1JF

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Picture Unboxing and Review: DW-D5600P-1JF

The much awaited package from Rakuten arrived today, having spent a long weekend vacation at the Customs Office (and burning a significant hole in my wallet ). I collected the parcel from the post office on the way to work and here's a quick unboxing and review.

The Package:
    Uninteresting, Unimpressive to say the least. There was one outer paper carton and inside the carton was this paper G-Shock box wrapped in bubble film. There was a note of thanks from the seller. No Japanese playing cards or goodies.
    Name:  5600P-Unboxing 01.jpg
Views: 2474
Size:  63.8 KB
    Name:  5600P-Unboxing 02.jpg
Views: 2446
Size:  73.1 KB

The Box:
    Again, basic as it gets - almost barebones. Recycled paper box with no surprises whatsoever. The box contained the watch wrapped in a plastic, and a printed manual.

Name:  5600P-Unboxing 03.jpg
Views: 2434
Size:  79.4 KB
    Name:  5600P-Unboxing 04.jpg
Views: 2435
Size:  68.4 KB
    Name:  5600P-Unboxing 05.jpg
Views: 2433
Size:  70.1 KB
    Name:  5600P-Unboxing 06.jpg
Views: 2436
Size:  85.0 KB

Overall, the unboxing left me with plenty to desire. The Rakuten experience thread has had much bettter experiences and I had my expectations set high. Personally I feel this could have been improved upon. I have seen some sub-$20 packages from A1iexpress with better packaging.

Getting to the G
    I would be reviewing the G in post-2 below, but in a nutshell, it looks and feels superb. Here's a couple of quick shot including a wrist shot.
    Name:  5600P-Unboxing 07.jpg
Views: 2433
Size:  63.1 KB
    Name:  5600P-Unboxing 08.jpg
Views: 2457
Size:  71.3 KB

As many have claimed, this has to be Casio's best negative LCD ever.Amazing clarity. Wait for them review!
    Last edited by kmbijit; January 25th, 2016 at 17:10.

Re: Unboxing and Review: DW-D5600P-1JF

Here goes the review of the DW-D5600P-1JF!

Physical appearance & Characteristics
    The DW-D5600P-1 is simple, yet understated and classy. The face is entirely monochrome - and that's not a bad thing at all.
    The face consists of a blacked out bullbar, blacked out bezel lettering, multiple levels of black and grey on the crystal, and a black, black, jet black LCD!
    It certainly looks more tactical than the DW-5600MS. The bezel lettering somehow appears darker than the bezel itself, and kind of gives an impression that the letters have been painted in a shade of black darker than the bezel itself.

Name:  REV01.JPG
Views: 2181
Size:  119.0 KB

Coming to the side profile, it's not different from any other 5600s. The bullbar wraps around the sides nicely.
    The buttons and bezel screws are stainless steel as in all 5600s, though I'd have preferred blacked out buttons to go with the overall theme. Not that it's a difficult mod, but I'd been happier if the blacked out button and bezel screws were offered as standard.

Name:  REV02.JPG
Views: 2153
Size:  137.7 KB

The matte-finished tang and buckles are another nice addition. They have a nice satin feel to the touch.
    The band is very soft, flexible and comfortable, it's very different from the band on other 5600s. Since I have not seen or felt the GW5000 band, I am not sure if this is the same band used on the D5600P - other owners of the 5600 would be in a better position to comment.

Name:  REV03.JPG
Views: 2151
Size:  137.1 KB

Turn the watch around and the backplate is a standard affair, nothing extraordinary here.
    Module 3433 is an improvement over earlier modules and right now, the best module on any square. (more on the module later).
    The "Made in China Y" label on the backplate and the "Casio China" on the buckle is a tad disappointing, especially when the model number ends with -1JF
    For a JDM (-1JF) model, the Made in China label is a disgrace!

Name:  REV04.JPG
Views: 2151
Size:  139.1 KB
    Name:  REV05.JPG
Views: 2149
Size:  133.8 KB

Build quality is on par with all 5600s, which means it's NASA-certified tough .
    However, I did notice a couple of rough edges on the bezel. Another small niggle is that when worn, one can notice a distinct gap between the bezel and the band.
    This is a bit strange, since the basic DW5600E does not get this gap, and neither does my other square, the DW-056.

Name:  REV06.JPG
Views: 2149
Size:  134.1 KB
    Name:  REV07.JPG
Views: 2134
Size:  100.4 KB

The 3433 Module and Functionality

The DW-D5600P uses the 3433 module, which is the most advanced module available on any 5600 yet. It has a dot-matrix display to display the day of the week/city in WT. Casio has made a very clean interface by getting rid of all sort of cryptic glyphics on the screen, the only symbol visible on the LCD is the 'P' - PM indicator.
    Other than that, there are no other symbols on the LCD, everything else is taken care by tiny indicators at the base on the screen.

While functionally, the module is similar to most other offerings from Casio, this is probably the first basic 5600 (non-solar/non atomic) to get a World time mode. You also get three customizable alarms. Beep volume is very good and among the loudest I've seen on G-shocks. It certainly outbeeps my DW-9050 and DW-056.

Name:  REV08.JPG
Views: 2137
Size:  101.3 KB

24H STW is normal but an interesting addition is the "Auto Start" which does a 5-second countdown before starting the stopwatch. This feature was seen only on the DW-6600 and I personally liked the feature a lot.

Name:  REV09.JPG
Views: 2122
Size:  93.8 KB

CDT is largely improved from all previous 5600s. It gets an auto-repeat CDT, as well as an option for progressive beeper - it will beep once every minute during the last 5 minutes of a countdown, and the last ten seconds would have a short beet for every second.
    This is another feature I absolutely loved on the DW-6600 and some other vintage G's and I am glad to see it here.

Name:  REV10.JPG
Views: 2126
Size:  96.5 KB

The D5600P also gets flash alert - another feature that I absolutely love.
    However, you'd need to RTFM to find out how to activate it. It's buried deep inside the timekeeping settings and very confusingly it has been labeled as ♪LT.
    Enabling it would flash another confusing "SYNC" on the settings screen.

Name:  REV11.JPG
Views: 2117
Size:  85.2 KB

Backlight

The backlight is a standard bluish-green electro-luminescence affair. The digits are crisply illuminated and look good. However, setting the duration of the backlight is again very confusing. You'd need to enter the settings screen from the timekeeping mode, and press the backlight while the seconds are flashing to change the illumination duration.

Name:  REV12.JPG
Views: 2139
Size:  72.9 KB
    Name:  REV13.JPG
Views: 2142
Size:  91.4 KB

Backlight duration set to 1.5 sec (above) and 3 sec (below)

Name:  REV14.JPG
Views: 2111
Size:  92.4 KB

There are some of the quirks in an otherwise excellent module.
    Of course, I am nitpicking. Overall, the module is just perfect functionally.
    And how can you ignore that brilliant, crisp negative LCD?

Name:  REV15.jpg
Views: 2143
Size:  219.0 KB

And just because enough is never enough...more eye candy pics!!!

Name:  REV16.JPG
Views: 2135
Size:  266.4 KB

Name:  REV17.JPG
Views: 2142
Size:  232.6 KB

Name:  REV18.JPG
Views: 2113
Size:  154.8 KB
    Last edited by kmbijit; January 26th, 2016 at 12:38.

Watch looks great on your wrist! i will be expecting part 2, thank you for sharing your review
    kmbijit likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Looking forward to te review. Also a confession, i was kind of confused since when i checked rakuten just now, dw-5600p supposed to come with white/yellow bullbar. Checked your thread's title again - carefully now - turned out i missed the single D there on the watch's name xD

I type butter on mah phon
    kmbijit likes this.

bbsrailfan:
    Nice piece.
    SIL just picked up the DXW 5600. Solar, Multifunction. All the bells n whistles.
    Square cases (on any brand) just don't do it for me. Ordering a DG350 this week.
    After acquiring the 5600, he now owns 12 G's. I own 5.

X traindriver Art
    kmbijit and BeaVis PaLigis like this.

Quote Originally Posted by domoon View Post
    Looking forward to te review.
    Quote Originally Posted by jadenshen0726 View Post
    i will be expecting part 2, thank you for sharing your review
    I would be posting it up tomorrow. Frankly, I could have posted the review today but I wanted to grab a handful of really good pics with my camera. Cellphone pics just wont do justice

bbsrailfan:
    Inasmuch as I am not a huge fan of Square cases, Tank, Tonneau's please don't be remiss in posting further info.
    I had considered the PRG270 once but decided on the DG350 instead. IMO we get a lot of bang for the buck with
    Casio.

X traindriver Art

bbsrailfan:
    Inasmuch as I am not a huge fan of Square cases, Tank, Tonneau's please don't be remiss in posting further info.
    I had considered the PRG270 once but decided on the DG350 instead. IMO we get a lot of bang for the buck with
    Casio.

X traindriver Art

Very nice!
    If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one. ~Cavett Robert

Congrats Bijit... It's a cool looking piece !!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information