Under $200 - the best watch available.
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Under $200 - the best watch available.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Under $200 - the best watch available.

Under $200 - the best watch available?

A short while back I set myself the goal to find a watch below $200 US that was at least 200m water resist, reliable, tough, analog or digital didn't matter, mechanical or quartz didn't matter, maker and country of manufacture didn't matter. Stopwatch / chronograph was also preferred.

I actually believe that one need not spend over $200 to get a watch that is very capable of performing a specific purpose.

I basically looked at every single watch that I could find within this price range that fulfilled the above requirements trying to see what represented the best value for money VS quality, reliability and toughness.

After a couple of months I kept coming back to one model, and yes it was a G-Shock :)

The winner?

The DW-6600-1V

I since found out that this is the same model used by Australian special forces, on another forum they said they are issued to US Navy seal divers ( not Lumnivox as you often hear ), US coast guard divers use them and they are probably the most requested G-Shock for military use along with the G-101 / 100, G-9052, DW-5600, G-2300.

Other models that I narrowed it down to included Hannowa Swiss Military, Wenger Battalion Divers, Seiko Divers, Citizen divers, other G-Shock models.

I would be very interested to hear others thoughts on what model they themselves would choose given the above criteria.

Also if you disagree with this as a choice what make and model would you suggest in preference?

Looking forward to hearing any thoughts you might have.

P.S I liked it so much I bought one ;)

Scott.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Under $200 - the best watch available.

Well, IMHO, personally, I dont think that the 6600 is any tougher than a 5600 or a 6900 or most other rubber cased G's.

Dont get me wrong... the 6600 is a cool classic watch! I have one. But trying to pick the toughest G is like trying to pick the hottest super model. LOL...

But, in theory, I will agree with you that under 200.00 and probably over 200.00, if toughness is your main concern... You cant beat G Shock.
    Suunto... Replacing Luck!

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

since you get almost every g-shock for under 200$ (often under 100$) its really a matter of personal preference. I find a solar model preferable, so my choice would be either a G-2300/2310, a G-2800 or the GW-9000 mudman. to be honest, I think the best module casio produces right now is not even a g-shock but the pathfinder PAW-1300 series.

but I agree that the DW-6600 is a great, simple and cheap g-shock, as so many others. its display is clear and uncluttered and that is something which counts a lot for some people. a little draw back is that it only has a 60min countdown timer, but at least it can be set precisely for the second. of all those classic g's I think I like the GW-9xxx series best, I'm not a fan of the GW-5xxx series (I don't like the square design) and I'm also not a fan of the GW-6900 (the three "eyes" don't do anything for me).

of the non-solar modern g-shocks I think the G-9000 mudman can't hardly beaten. and because of the easier to push buttons the G-9000's "little brother" - the G-800 series - gets my voting too (i just love my G-800 BD-1V)

regards, holger

p.s. I can see that the easy to acces buttons (especially when wearing gloves) are also a huge bonus on the DW-6600 and makes it therefore for some people preferable.
    Last edited by cal..45; September 20th, 2007 at 06:01.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_C View Post
    Well, IMHO, personally, I dont think that the 6600 is any tougher than a 5600 or a 6900 or most other rubber cased G's.
    I agree.

Difficult to choose between the models, they all meet a certain standard and can handle mistreatment.

I choose the dw-6600 because of the very recessed face, simple features, proven track record in diverse uses, simple quartz not solar.

I also think the 5600 falls into the same category but the 6600 seems to be available at a better price, protected buttons and face slightly better protected also.

I also read true or untrue that the 6900 is not as accurate, don't know myself, could have been for a particular watch only?

The Japan only model is the Fox Fire, double the price and probably not worth the extra to my thinking.

Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    since you get almost every g-shock for under 200$ (often under 100$) its really a matter of personal preference. I find a solar model preferable, so my choice would be either a G-2300/2310, a G-2800 or the GW-9000 mudman. to be honest, I think the best module casio produces right now is not even a g-shock but the pathfinder PAW-1300 series.
    of the non-solar modern g-shocks I think the G-9000 mudman can't hardly beaten. and because of the easier to push buttons the G-9000's "little brother" - the G-800 series - gets my voting too (i just love my G-800 BD-1V
    So many to choose from.

I haven't made up my mind about solar yet, it's a great idea.

Citizen probably are a nudge ahead of the rest with technology.
    Don't know how rugged or durable long term yet?
    Sure they will get better with time and improvements.

Looks like they are incorporating solar into most lines of the G shock range.

G-800 BD is definitely a very useful watch and not too big either.

If I were to buy a solar it would be a 2300, also a popular military choice.

Scott.

Whichever of the basic models you like the look of most. For me, in order of preference and practicality, that would be DW-9052, DW-5600, DW-6900, DW-6600.

9052 beats 5600 because of fifth light button. 6900 beats 6600 because I prefer the 'eyes' of the 6900 to the seconds counters on the 6600.

In many ways the G-8000 (plain resin version) beats them all, but the strap is too long for me.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

My current all-round favorite is the G-9000 Mudman I think. It's the one I'd take into excitement, adventure and really wild things.

Sometimes when I'm just trying to choose one to wear round the house or out shopping, I really can't decide. I think I have 20 G-Shocks now (including 3 duplicates) and I quite often narrow it down to about 4 or 5 then have a hard time deciding. I think the G-800BD will be going shopping with me today now it's been brought to mind.
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

G-6600 it's, by my side, a good choice.
    Have you some reference about the G101/G100 in army purpose?
    Salva
    Salva

Interesting post and I'm very much tempted to agree, maybe if you said under $100.

Under $200 I'd hope to get one of theses above all else.

Last edited by hoochy; September 20th, 2007 at 14:52.

Watches are frickin evil!

Maybe a 9052 for under $100?

Watches are frickin evil!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information