understated vs. overt
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: understated vs. overt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Confused understated vs. overt

Have been devouring the very many threads on gshock for many days now. Trying to look for one more G-Shock that is for permanent keeps and that which doesn't need to fight its way onto my wrist. After having brainwashed myself into getting myself the 'KING-KLASSIC' GW-5000-1JF, the thread on under the hood scratches sent me scurrying into non GW-5000 posts looking for the second best. What I also observed is that the gshock king - sjors himself hasnt done a photo-op of GW-5000. Makes me wonder. But his recent post on GA-110FC-1AJF has created a mini neural tornado and kept me hooked, for the past 7 straight hours, scouring the web for more pics, reviews, deals.
    1. Superchrono is quoting 300 USD for GA-110FC-1AJF while Seiya is quoting 340 USD for GW-5000-1JF.
    2. Both watches have their own appeal - one for its timeless classic value and the other for being so lego-ish bold in your face appeal.
    3. What would you do?
    Amara
    ---------------------------
    Fossil GH2013 (Frank Gehry)
    Retro Icon
    Grand Seiko Spring Drive SBGA061
    Casio G-Shock G-7800-1ER
    Sinn 902

Re: understated vs. overt

the ga is NOT that expensive, and I believe there will be more ga-110 coming out with even more colors

I have neither ones because of of them are over-priced (for me)

light weight and bold these days would be the new gwx-5600, you'd wear it more often than these two

LOLz

GW-5000. I wear it more than any other watch by far. Some days I toy with selling everything but the 5000... and the T5030, that ain't going anywhere.

Edit. The under bezel scratches are irrelevant to me, I have no intention of wearing it without the bezel but some where bothered by it.
    Last edited by MCZK; August 15th, 2013 at 07:56.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I had the red ga110 in Sjors' pictorial and sold it recently. I have the blue brother (Ga110fc-2) which I personally think is better looking.

I have the gw5000 and still say it is THE watch for others not to notice or compliment but for the owner to enjoy.

If you like flamboyant watches, 110's are great for it and I have a few. Another one to look at is the Haze GA110EH-8 which I think is great looking. There are many others as well. Just google search "GA110" and click on images.

My answer is to get both. :cool:

sent with aloha
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

The 2nd best 'understated' G-Shock for me personally is the GW-6900-1.
    A true understated classic design.
    jbg7474, lalo1704, Kronos and 1 others like this.
    Current Rotation:
    Tudor Black Bay (on OEM bracelet) | Rado Original Automatic 648.0408.3.161 | Royal Orient WE0011JB | Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch 311.30.42.30.01.005 | Casio G-Shock GWF-1000-1DR

G-Shock collection:
    GW-M5630E-9JR, GA-400-4A, DW-6900SG, GW-5000-1JF, GWF-1000-1DR, GW-200Z-1DR, GW-9200-1, GX-56-1B, G-5600E, G-6900-1, DW-5600MS, G-7302RL (non-functioning)

Wishlist:
    Credor ​Eichi (when pigs fly) | Credor ​Eichi II (when fishes talk) | FP Journe Chronometre Bleu (acquired) | Urban Jurgensen & Sonner Ref. 3 (acquired) | D.Dornbluth & Sohn Cal. 99.5 (acquired) | Moritz Grossmann BENU Rose Gold ​(acquired)

**Sig limit reached...**

Get the GW-5000. I actually sold off 17 of my g-shocks watches after receiving it. 5 of them are GA110's. But the GA110 is very popular hence its not so difficult to sell off. I would say for me, the getting the GW-5000 reduces a bit of my interest to buy more g-Shocks. The other series I am keeping are my GW-A1000's and probably a few of my limited editions.
    quantamara likes this.

I own two GW-5000s, one of which I'm keeping in the box as a spare. I haven't lifted the bezels off either of them, but the notion of case scratches does not bother me. If I were in your position, I'd get the GW-5000. I found it to be an excellent daily wear piece, so much so that it's truly hard to keep the watch off the wrist for too long. I've also found that it has suppressed my desire for more watches in general.
    quantamara likes this.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

wow... the veterans have spoken and the GW-5000-1JF it is! the undisputed KING...
    well quite frankly after reading all the posts, it was but obvious that I should be going for GW-5000.... its just that I was unable to reconcile with what was happening yesterday night...the conflict between heart and mind..
    GW-5000-1JF : Mind processed all the posts and was settled for placing an order with Seiya-san. Heart took a back-seat after the thread regd scratches. Please please do not even think for a moment that I am trying to bring that in for an active discussion here. The focus is more on the way an individual deals with choices :P and that too in the badass world of g-shocks!!!
    (posting the image from tanaka website) pure sublime classic beauty...i am sure this must be some patented g-shock font ....just awesome.. in addition to making it vintage-worthy by wrapping it with DLC coat on a screwback..)
    hats off to @gshockers - your post is enough inspiration for me to 'checkout' this piece from Seiya-san.
    @Ottovonn - i too wanted my next purchase to be the last purchase... and while i am sold completely on GW5K, the GA110 (pic follows) got me to make this post...
    Name:  GW-5000-1JF_1.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  127.2 KB
    GA-110FC-2JF : (yes @Chrisek) The blue version is downright the best of best in GA-110 family... i am sure each of us have a hard time objectively describing the joy after seeing a pure work of art (the colors, the chamfers, the blends, the shine on the plastic parts, the lego-ish/true japanese/origamish mastery over manufacturing nano structures :P)
    i looked through each single GA110 (past and present)..images, videos, posts and found FC-2AJF to be the best of best that appealed to my 'heart'..
    Name:  GA-110FC-2AJF_1.jpg
Views: 5812
Size:  237.2 KB

hmm...wat am i trying to achieve ? i guess all i am trying to do is allow some time to pass and get my mind and heart in order and make the plunge.. i must say that i want 'only 1' and no more watches....

as all my current watches are classic-types, i guess GA-110 was a way to vent out and get a balance of understated and overt in my watch family...
    Last edited by quantamara; August 15th, 2013 at 23:54. Reason: wanted to make the GW-5000-1JF appear inline instead of as an attachment
    Chrisek likes this.
    Amara
    ---------------------------
    Fossil GH2013 (Frank Gehry)
    Retro Icon
    Grand Seiko Spring Drive SBGA061
    Casio G-Shock G-7800-1ER
    Sinn 902

I've actually been looking for a new watch for a while. But nothing seems to jump at me like watches -- mechanicals mostly -- used to since acquiring the GW-5000. And this is coming from a former Seiko MM300 owner who had been saving up for more upscale German watch, a Nomos perhaps. So, surprisingly, this digital watch has become my favorite watch. I've found it to be ridiculously comfortable -- it does stick to the wrist a little when wet but that does not bother me -- and, aesthetically, it has a more subdued, mature look given its monochrome color scheme and the balanced placement of text. So, in my experience, the GW-5000 tends to kill watch lust.

If you're looking to branch out from classic pieces, then I have to say that the crazy colors "G" looks pretty fun and wild and would add a dash of explosive color to any collection. You really can't go wrong either way.
    quantamara likes this.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

STAY AWAY from Superchrono. They have a very bad reputation and DO NOT carry stock of what they state on the site.

They source them when requested.

"Cheers"
    KD

Fully trained and certified Desk Diver

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information