Unhappy with GWA1100 Aviator, But...Happy with MTGS1000D
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By xzhync
  • 1 Post By xzhync

Thread: Unhappy with GWA1100 Aviator, But...Happy with MTGS1000D

Unhappy with GWA1100 Aviator, But...Happy with MTGS1000D

I recently decided to purchase a GWA1100 Aviator. Upon receiving the watch I discovered that the minute and second hands were slightly mis-aligned from the markers. They would land slightly ahead of each marker. I decided to return the watch. My next step was to purchase a MTGS1000D. From reading this forum I found out that the MTG is made in Casio's prestigious factory in Japan, so I wanted to see if the quality control would be better. Even before it was delivered I started to feel guilty about spending that much money, so I ordered another GWA1100 hoping that it would be better than the first. I figured, if it was better, I would just return the MTGS1000D. Of course, when the MTG arrived, I discovered that the alignment was very, very good, but I still held out hope for the GWA1100. Well, the GWA1100 arrived today and, just like the first one, the hands were misaligned. This time, the second hand was pretty good, but the minute hand was always past the marker at the top of each minute. I immediately packaged it up and returned it to the seller. Looks like I will keep the MTGs1000D. I would have hoped that the GWA1100 (at approximately $400) would have been a more precise instrument, but at least the more expensive MTGS1000D is very good. I guess one has to spend more than $400 to get the kind of precision I am looking for.
    Chrisek likes this.

Re: Unhappy with GWA1100 Aviator, But...Happy with MTGS1000D

You should have read the manual that came with the GWA1100, you could have adjusted that problem away.
    “Time is an illusion.” ― Albert Einstein

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 576
Size:  131.3 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

No, I'm afraid you are incorrect.

I had the exact same problem with the two GWA1100's I purchased.

I understand completely what the hand alignment procedure is [I have many G's], and it did not solve the problem.

The alignment procedure works great if there is a systematic misalignment, and the hands miss each marker in the same amount.

With the two 1100s I had, the hands struck =some= of the markers precisely, and =some= were misaligned.

The alignment procedure does not remedy this situation.

I dumped both watches.

Best

Quote Originally Posted by TixTox View Post
    You should have read the manual that came with the GWA1100, you could have adjusted that problem away.
    Last edited by frhoads; December 4th, 2014 at 06:18.
    /Forrest

I had the same problem [twice] with the 1100s, and returned both too. See comment below.

Casio generally does a very good job with this sort of alignment. I have many analog Casios [including 4 GWA1000s], and all of them show perfect alignment [at least to the extent I can see].

I also have a 105 usd Casio Wave Ceptor [WVA-M630]. Perfect alignment as well.

So I don't think it's just related to the expense of the watch. I think Casio just got its wires crossed with the 1100 series.

Best

Quote Originally Posted by xzhync View Post
    I recently decided to purchase a GWA1100 Aviator. Upon receiving the watch I discovered that the minute and second hands were slightly mis-aligned from the markers. They would land slightly ahead of each marker. I decided to return the watch. My next step was to purchase a MTGS1000D. From reading this forum I found out that the MTG is made in Casio's prestigious factory in Japan, so I wanted to see if the quality control would be better. Even before it was delivered I started to feel guilty about spending that much money, so I ordered another GWA1100 hoping that it would be better than the first. I figured, if it was better, I would just return the MTGS1000D. Of course, when the MTG arrived, I discovered that the alignment was very, very good, but I still held out hope for the GWA1100. Well, the GWA1100 arrived today and, just like the first one, the hands were misaligned. This time, the second hand was pretty good, but the minute hand was always past the marker at the top of each minute. I immediately packaged it up and returned it to the seller. Looks like I will keep the MTGs1000D. I would have hoped that the GWA1100 (at approximately $400) would have been a more precise instrument, but at least the more expensive MTGS1000D is very good. I guess one has to spend more than $400 to get the kind of precision I am looking for.
    /Forrest

I agree with you about the MTG's alignment. Mine are excellent (I have two: silver and black).

Fortunately, my 1100's alignment is also quite good, although I have heard lots of reports about misalignment with 1100s. I guess I was lucky on that one.

But I was not so lucky on my GWA-1000, which is noticeably "off." I have kept it, though.

Congrats on the MTG! Fantastic G. I have had 2, and am down to 1 (silver) and enjoy it very much.

I still have not had an 1100, so nothing to add there.
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Photos of the MTG pls!! Googled some images and it looked really really good.

Quote Originally Posted by frhoads View Post
    No, I'm afraid you are incorrect.

I had the exact same problem with the two GWA1100's I purchased.

I understand completely what the hand alignment procedure is [I have many G's], and it did not solve the problem.

The alignment procedure works great if there is a systematic misalignment, and the hands miss each marker in the same amount.

With the two 1100s I had, the hands struck =some= of the markers precisely, and =some= were misaligned.

The alignment procedure does not remedy this situation.

I dumped both watches.

Best
    Understanding how the hands move says to me it was a marker problem if the hands hit some and not others. So then, yes adjusting the hands would not fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by TixTox View Post
    Understanding how the hands move says to me it was a marker problem if the hands hit some and not others. So then, yes adjusting the hands would not fix that.

I, like several other's here followed the home-hand procedure (multiple times), but that did not work. In fact, when the watch established "home position", the minute and second hands were slightly past the marker. I believe the watch would need to be re-programmed. I have an older gshock where you can actually manually move the hands, but the GWA1100 does not allow that. So, in actuality all you are really doing is kicking off an "auto" home hand adjustment. If the position that the watch thinks is home is wrong then there is nothing that can be done.

I also believe the marker positioning may be slightly off, in some cases. My first GWA1100 had the second hand aligning at several markers, but not others. The minute hand was always ahead of the marker at the top of each minute. With the latest GWA1100 the second hand was a little better, but the minute hand was consistently ahead of the marker. It is a shame that Casio is putting out a product with less than very tight tolerances. Maybe they think most people won't notice or care. I know they can get it right, though. My MTGS1000D is very well aligned. I really wanted to like the GWA1100, but as I originally stated, for $400 (to me), it needs to be well aligned.

Thank you for all the responses.
    Last edited by xzhync; December 4th, 2014 at 15:04.
    frhoads likes this.

Thread Information