An unlikely find.

Thread: An unlikely find.

Cool An unlikely find.

Hello everyone, I've been absent for some months without any news, but I've got a funny story, and a new watch to share.

Yesterday I was sightseeing with with a friend who was visiting from out-of-state. We were at Venice Beach in Venice, California. On a whim I decided to look at a store selling what I believed were knock off Oakley shoes. Of course, I ended up looking at their selection of G-Shocks.

To my suprise, I found a brand new GE-2000. That's right, a brand new G-Cool Pininfarina (black, Japan Y) It was marked down from $169 to $109, possibly because of the slight scuff (easily removeable) or the battery that pooped out as soon as I hit the "light" button (quickly replaced.) Otherwise this thing really has sat on the shelf it's entire life. They had a brand new 6500 (alti-barro) too.

(clickable)
    DW-003S, DW-5600C, G-306X, G-741D, GE-2000, GT-001, GW-200MS, GW-5600J, GW-9010, GW-9100, GW-9200, MTG-920DA, MTG-520M

Wanted: MRG-1200T

Re: An unlikely find.

Hello Cherubim,
    Good to see you back

This story is one for the archives I think. All you guys with your finds are making me quite jealous.

For something which is (imho only) something of a dress/fashion watch, it has one of the better displays out there in the G-shock line. Very useful.
    Great find and may it serve you well.

EDIT: A couple of questions; Do the metal cables go on to form the frame
    of the bands? How comfortable/flexible does this make the bands.
    Last edited by Resinbandit; October 30th, 2006 at 00:41.

That really is quite something...

Envious congratulations!
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Resinbandit
    Hello Cherubim,
    Good to see you back

This story is one for the archives I think. All you guys with your finds are making me quite jealous.

For something which is (imho only) something of a dress/fashion watch, it has one of the better displays out there in the G-shock line. Very useful.
    Great find and may it serve you well.

EDIT: A couple of questions; Do the metal cables go on to form the frame
    of the bands? How comfortable/flexible does this make the bands.
    If I hadn't checked my own thread I would have missed your questions.
    It is difficult to tell where the cables end. From what I can tell the cables seem to end about 1cm into the band, though I could be wrong. The band is leather and is actually more stiff than the steel cables since it is brand new (which I still can't believe.) That being said, the watch is very comfortable to wear. It weighs about the same as my DW-5600.

And yes, it is totally a fashion watch. I'd never put it through the torture that my DW-5600 has gone through. (The DW5600s look good with scars.) The display has a learning curve, as most of the functions don't work the same way that other Gs work, but it is pretty. And three buttons on one side is wierd too.
    DW-003S, DW-5600C, G-306X, G-741D, GE-2000, GT-001, GW-200MS, GW-5600J, GW-9010, GW-9100, GW-9200, MTG-920DA, MTG-520M

Wink Re: An unlikely find.

Hi Cherubim,

Welcome back. Nice to see you around again. That's a pretty nice watch designed by Pininfarina. The first time I saw one in a shop (I believe it was around 2001), it was quiet unaffordable for me at that time. I'm glad I got one this summer.

The watchband is very special, which you probably would have seen.

Cheers,

Sjors

There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors View Post
    Hi Cherubim,

Welcome back. Nice to see you around again. That's a pretty nice watch designed by Pininfarina. The first time I saw one in a shop (I believe it was around 2001), it was quiet unaffordable for me at that time. I'm glad I got one this summer.

The watchband is very special, which you probably would have seen.

Cheers,

Sjors

Thanks for the welcome back. The band is particularly special, but so is the module used. If it wern't for your website I would have never known what the GE-2000 was when I saw it in the store. It's a great resource, thank you.

Wink Re: An unlikely find.

Thanks for your complimants Cherubim,

I was astonished (spelling) when I saw it the first time. I had seen picures of it before, but in real it's such a beautifull watch. I hope I managed to get a bit better on my website, to show it's full beauty...

Cheers,

Sjors

There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Cherubim View Post
    Thanks for the comments.

If I hadn't checked my own thread I would have missed your questions.
    It is difficult to tell where the cables end. From what I can tell the cables seem to end about 1cm into the band, though I could be wrong. The band is leather and is actually more stiff than the steel cables since it is brand new (which I still can't believe.) That being said, the watch is very comfortable to wear. It weighs about the same as my DW-5600.

And yes, it is totally a fashion watch. I'd never put it through the torture that my DW-5600 has gone through. (The DW5600s look good with scars.) The display has a learning curve, as most of the functions don't work the same way that other Gs work, but it is pretty. And three buttons on one side is wierd too.
    Hello Cherubim,
    Thanks for checking back and answering
    I'm lead to believe that stiff leather is a hallmark of good quality leather. Although, it will be good to have an update of the watches comfort after the leather has become supple.
    I hadn't realised that it had three buttons on one side. Actually, it seems that Casio made a custom module for this watch. Still can't believe that price ou paid for it! By the way, it's supposed to look like a brake disk caliper setup. Hows that for abstract art.

Enjoy your great find.

Quote Originally Posted by Resinbandit View Post
    Hello Cherubim,
    Thanks for checking back and answering
    I'm lead to believe that stiff leather is a hallmark of good quality leather. Although, it will be good to have an update of the watches comfort after the leather has become supple.
    I hadn't realised that it had three buttons on one side. Actually, it seems that Casio made a custom module for this watch. Still can't believe that price ou paid for it! By the way, it's supposed to look like a brake disk caliper setup. Hows that for abstract art.

Enjoy your great find.
    The band is obviously great quality. Which is good because I don't think it's something that one could find a replacement for easily. The buttons are almost couter-intuitive. I'd expect the button placed under the red symbol to be the "light" button, but instead the light is hidden between the two green buttons. I didn't even see it until I looked up the instructions online. The module is great otherwise. It has an odd method of doing the world time function, and the stopwatch has a unique memory as well.

The watch was a great deal, but I didn't get the box, case, or instructions. The shop was very disorganized, they didn't even know what the watch was. I ended up with a DW-7100 box instead.

Thread Information