an unofficial GMW-b5000 steel square review
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: an unofficial GMW-b5000 steel square review

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

an unofficial GMW-b5000 steel square review

I received a GMW-b5000 from a fellow WUS just about 4 weeks ago and I wanted to share a couple my non professional and probably rambling thoughts of wearing it daily since acquisition.

Right off the bat, wow! I was surprised by the heft of the watch- it has a good and solid feeling to it but not too heavy. I've since read on the interwebs that it nearly matches the weight of a Rolex Submariner, interesting fact.
    I was also very surprised by the construction of the bracelet- it was super easy to remove and replace links, it wraps around the wrist perfectly-just the right amount of gap between links. Also, I was able to get the locking clasp perfectly centered on my bottom wrist.
    The bracelet definitely complements the weight the watch head. Since its an all-metal case and case back, the bracelet keeps it in good balance and centered well.
    An item of great interest to me is that despite the micro scratches I've put on the watch-it still shines brightly. I mean weirdly bright. This has been the "whitest" steel watch I've worn since a short experience with an Audemars Piguet 15400. I have not been able to find out what type of steel Casio used on this square and of course, I know its Ion plated but I've got to think that Casio has a most definite category of bright steel used on this watch. Even though the links are brushed, the lower part of each link and the top part of each link groove is mirror polished. This could be why it is so shiny-a clean sheen. Anyone else noticed this?

This watch has kept me away from my Frogman and 2 other squares. I love this watch. It's so cool that it is understated but accurate and functional. It looks great when I wear my suits at work and just as good with surf shorts and Nike flyknits.
    If you are on the fence about getting one due to price or it being a scratch magnet- I say it well worth the price used or new with a discount of course, and as for scratches I can only see them up close and they don't detract from the watch.

Name:  oMHVHM8l.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  88.2 KB

Name:  HcbDdawl.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  50.6 KB

Re: an unofficial GMW-b5000 steel square review

Agreed; it's awesome.

It is blingy, but the blingyness is offset by being digital. What I mean is, if you were the type of person to wear a watch mainly to draw attention and impress people with your wealth, you wouldn't do it with a digital watch. So you are saved from being "that guy". It's just an uber cool G-Shock, nothing else.
    elborderas likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gaizka View Post
    I received a GMW-b5000 from a fellow WUS just about 4 weeks ago and I wanted to share a couple my non professional and probably rambling thoughts of wearing it daily since acquisition.

Right off the bat, wow! I was surprised by the heft of the watch- it has a good and solid feeling to it but not too heavy. I've since read on the interwebs that it nearly matches the weight of a Rolex Submariner, interesting fact.
    I was also very surprised by the construction of the bracelet- it was super easy to remove and replace links, it wraps around the wrist perfectly-just the right amount of gap between links. Also, I was able to get the locking clasp perfectly centered on my bottom wrist.
    The bracelet definitely complements the weight the watch head. Since its an all-metal case and case back, the bracelet keeps it in good balance and centered well.
    An item of great interest to me is that despite the micro scratches I've put on the watch-it still shines brightly. I mean weirdly bright. This has been the "whitest" steel watch I've worn since a short experience with an Audemars Piguet 15400. I have not been able to find out what type of steel Casio used on this square and of course, I know its Ion plated but I've got to think that Casio has a most definite category of bright steel used on this watch. Even though the links are brushed, the lower part of each link and the top part of each link groove is mirror polished. This could be why it is so shiny-a clean sheen. Anyone else noticed this?

This watch has kept me away from my Frogman and 2 other squares. I love this watch. It's so cool that it is understated but accurate and functional. It looks great when I wear my suits at work and just as good with surf shorts and Nike flyknits.
    If you are on the fence about getting one due to price or it being a scratch magnet- I say it well worth the price used or new with a discount of course, and as for scratches I can only see them up close and they don't detract from the watch.

Name:  HcbDdawl.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  50.6 KB

I agree! Very nice watch.

You say that it's ion-plated and just kind of casually mention that as an obvious fact. Maybe it is to many people, but it's news to me. I thought it was just polished?? Are you saying that the ion plating gives the steel its shiny-ness, or.... Please explain. I'm a bit confused on this.

I especially like the brushing on the top of the bezel. Really a nice contrast with the polishing, and it looks really good!!

Nice review!!
    Casio G-shock
    MRG-G1000B-1ADR, MTG-B1000TF-1AJR, GMW-B5000TFC-1, GMW-B5000D-1, GMW-B5000GD-9, GMW-B5000V-1, GMW-B5000G-1, GPR-B1000-1, GPR-B1000-1B, GWG-1000-1A, GW-9400-1, GW-9400DCJ-1, GW-9400BTJ-8, GW-9401KJ-3JR, GW-5000-1JF, GW-B5600FB-4JR, GW-B5600HR-1, GW-B5600BC-1B, GXW-56BB-1JF, GW-3000M-4A, DW-5035D-1B, DW-5600BB (x2), DW-5600E (x2), DW-5600EG-9V, DW-5600CL-1, GW-M5610TR-7JF, DW-5600MS, GLS-5600CL-1, GLS-5600CL-3, DW-6930, GA-100MM-8A, G100BB-1A, GLS-6900-9JF, G-8900SC, GD-350-1B, GD-400-9CS, DW-6900MS, GD-120CM-4, GD-X6900CM-5, GLS-8900CM-2, GW-002KA.
    Casio Protrek/Pathfinder
    PAG-240B-2, PRW-2500R-1, PRW-3100FC-1JF, PRX-8000T-7AJF.
    Casio AE-1200 (x2)
    Casio W217H-1A
    MDV106-1A
    MTD1080-7A

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I am very attracted to these, but undecided if I want the polished model you have, or the black.

Further, the black is only available with negative display, and I would prefer positive, which might become available.

And, I sort of wish the polished steel model was available in a bead-blasted matt finish, as some owners have modded their own watches this way.

Decisions, decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by Time4Playnow View Post
    I agree! Very nice watch.

You say that it's ion-plated and just kind of casually mention that as an obvious fact. Maybe it is to many people, but it's news to me. I thought it was just polished?? Are you saying that the ion plating gives the steel its shiny-ness, or.... Please explain. I'm a bit confused on this.

I especially like the brushing on the top of the bezel. Really a nice contrast with the polishing, and it looks really good!!

Nice review!!
    Thanks!

And I stand corrected, I read too fast and now realize that the Black and Gold models are Ion Plated not the stainless steel. So, that gets me back to the original question; what grade of steel does Casio use?
    Time4Playnow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gaizka View Post
    Thanks!

And I stand corrected, I read too fast and now realize that the Black and Gold models are Ion Plated not the stainless steel. So, that gets me back to the original question; what grade of steel does Casio use?

Thanks for your answer.

I don't know what grade of steel Casio uses. But I do remember that a user here had a similar question about the grade of titanium used in a specific Casio watch, and they asked the question directly to Casio, and DID get an answer. So perhaps you could call Casio customer service - they might be able to help.
    gaizka and kubr1ck like this.
    Casio G-shock
    MRG-G1000B-1ADR, MTG-B1000TF-1AJR, GMW-B5000TFC-1, GMW-B5000D-1, GMW-B5000GD-9, GMW-B5000V-1, GMW-B5000G-1, GPR-B1000-1, GPR-B1000-1B, GWG-1000-1A, GW-9400-1, GW-9400DCJ-1, GW-9400BTJ-8, GW-9401KJ-3JR, GW-5000-1JF, GW-B5600FB-4JR, GW-B5600HR-1, GW-B5600BC-1B, GXW-56BB-1JF, GW-3000M-4A, DW-5035D-1B, DW-5600BB (x2), DW-5600E (x2), DW-5600EG-9V, DW-5600CL-1, GW-M5610TR-7JF, DW-5600MS, GLS-5600CL-1, GLS-5600CL-3, DW-6930, GA-100MM-8A, G100BB-1A, GLS-6900-9JF, G-8900SC, GD-350-1B, GD-400-9CS, DW-6900MS, GD-120CM-4, GD-X6900CM-5, GLS-8900CM-2, GW-002KA.
    Casio Protrek/Pathfinder
    PAG-240B-2, PRW-2500R-1, PRW-3100FC-1JF, PRX-8000T-7AJF.
    Casio AE-1200 (x2)
    Casio W217H-1A
    MDV106-1A
    MTD1080-7A

Congrats, and nice write-up. It took me a while to pick up this piece because like many I thought it looked too blingy. But after acquiring one I realized it's mainly the photos and the tendency of the light to wash out the silver metal that make it look this way. Really most of this watch is brushed, with just the areas around the bezel and between the links that are polished. But yeah, the grade of metal used would also be of interest to me, because it almost looks like sterling silver.

Name:  IMAG2575.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  1.70 MB

Name:  IMAG2574.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  1.88 MB
    banderor, GaryK30, P.C. and 6 others like this.
    "When the shadow of the sash appeared in the curtains it was between seven and eight o'clock and then I was in time again, hearing the watch. It was Grandfather's and when Father gave it to me he said I give you the mausoleum of all hope and desire.... I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you might forget it now and then for a moment and not spend all your breath trying to conquer it."
    --William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury (1929)

This will be my next purchase. I haven't been able to get my Rangeman off my wrist for a week now and I keep thinking how awesome it would be if it were steel...well the Full Metal Square solves that issue for me!

Does anyone know where to get these for less than 500 bucks? I'd prefer to buy one new, but even on Amazon they are 500.00. I'll buy one at that price if I have to, but I'd feel stupid doing it only to find out later they were on sale somewhere for less and I didn't know because I just didn't ask...
    WPAC Member #35.
    "No Desire to Acquire!"

Since I got a 2nd silver to put the module inside a DLC black bezel and band, the extra silver bezel & band was a candidate for this media blasting treatment to tone down the bling.

So I have a choice of bling or non-bling and DLC.

Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

Quote Originally Posted by sirgilbert357 View Post
    This will be my next purchase. I haven't been able to get my Rangeman off my wrist for a week now and I keep thinking how awesome it would be if it were steel...well the Full Metal Square solves that issue for me!

Does anyone know where to get these for less than 500 bucks? I'd prefer to buy one new, but even on Amazon they are 500.00. I'll buy one at that price if I have to, but I'd feel stupid doing it only to find out later they were on sale somewhere for less and I didn't know because I just didn't ask...
    Wait for offers from retailers as Macy’s, mild.com, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, you can get them for 30% less from retail. That is how I bought mine.

Offers come everytime, at least once a month

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    kubr1ck and kenls like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information