(Updated with new arrivals) First G-Shock for an Emergency Management worker

Thread: (Updated with new arrivals) First G-Shock for an Emergency Management worker

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

(Updated with new arrivals) First G-Shock for an Emergency Management worker

Hi everyone,

So for the summer before I start grad school, I'm starting an internship with the local Emergency Management Agency. The watches I currently have in my collection are ones I worry about beating up, and after some time on the forum, I've realized that G-Shocks seem to be the toughest watches around. Given that, I did some research and found one that I think would be good for my job. About my job- we respond to disasters. This could include a major fire, a major vehicular accident, but will usually mean dealing with floods (think lots of water, mudslides, and cutting up trees), or responding to severe weather events (huge thunderstorms and tornadoes) to provide eyes on the ground on what's actually happening, help with evacuation, etc.

What I found and liked is the G9000R

The G-9000R has a barometer and atmospheric pressure indicators. In the event that our mobile command vehicles were knocked out (really unlikely), these could come in handy (or at least I can say they might). At the least, they're relevant to the work. Finally, any G-Shock will certainly come in handy during the rough stuff we often deal with.

The Rescue Orange is rather ostentatious for when we're in the office (though an awesome color), so if there are alternatives on color for a similar price, I'd love to hear about them. Is it easy to source and install alternative straps? Perhaps a black one would allow the watch to look a bit less flashy.

Finally, if any of you are aware of other G-Shocks that I should check out, please let me know!

Thanks for any advice you guys can offer!

Best regards,
    Paul
    Last edited by ppalam2; May 21st, 2011 at 01:01.
    Been looking for a Prometheus Ocean Diver #056

Current Collection:
    Marathon TSAR
    Citizen Eco-Zilla with Suppa's
    Zodiac ZMX-02
    Tag Heuer Indy 500
    Prometheus Ocean Diver Day/Date #247
    Hamilton Conservation #61
    Casio G-Shock Rescue (7900A-7DR)
    Casio G-Shock Mudman (9000-1V)
    Over a dozen 'fashion' watches from when I was young and foolish

Re: First G-Shock for an Emergency Management worker

Quote Originally Posted by ppalam2 View Post
    Hi everyone,

So for the summer before I start grad school, I'm starting an internship with the local Emergency Management Agency. The watches I currently have in my collection are ones I worry about beating up, and after some time on the forum, I've realized that G-Shocks seem to be the toughest watches around. Given that, I did some research and found one that I think would be good for my job. About my job- we respond to disasters. This could include a major fire, a major vehicular accident, but will usually mean dealing with floods (think lots of water, mudslides, and cutting up trees), or responding to severe weather events (huge thunderstorms and tornadoes) to provide eyes on the ground on what's actually happening, help with evacuation, etc.

What I found and liked is the G9000R

The G-9000R has a barometer and atmospheric pressure indicators. In the event that our mobile command vehicles were knocked out (really unlikely), these could come in handy (or at least I can say they might). At the least, they're relevant to the work. Finally, any G-Shock will certainly come in handy during the rough stuff we often deal with.

The Rescue Orange is rather ostentatious for when we're in the office (though an awesome color), so if there are alternatives on color for a similar price, I'd love to hear about them. Is it easy to source and install alternative straps? Perhaps a black one would allow the watch to look a bit less flashy.

Finally, if any of you are aware of other G-Shocks that I should check out, please let me know!

Thanks for any advice you guys can offer!

Best regards,
    Paul
    Hey the G-9000 doesn't have barometer functions. If that's what you're looking for your best bet is to look at the Riseman (G-9200 or GW-9200). In my opinion most G's would suit your needs so I would go purely based on aesthetics. The riseman might be the best all around option.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

If you like the orange labeling on the face, but it's just the orange straps that put you off for wearing in the office, get a set of black colored straps for it. They should be widely available as this is a recent model.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Oh my, well thank you for letting me know! Operating on aesthetics alone would open up such a huge array of options, it's almost scary to consider...

Quote Originally Posted by kaywalker View Post
    Hey the G-9000 doesn't have barometer functions. If that's what you're looking for your best bet is to look at the Riseman (G-9200 or GW-9200). In my opinion most G's would suit your needs so I would go purely based on aesthetics. The riseman might be the best all around option.
    Been looking for a Prometheus Ocean Diver #056

Current Collection:
    Marathon TSAR
    Citizen Eco-Zilla with Suppa's
    Zodiac ZMX-02
    Tag Heuer Indy 500
    Prometheus Ocean Diver Day/Date #247
    Hamilton Conservation #61
    Casio G-Shock Rescue (7900A-7DR)
    Casio G-Shock Mudman (9000-1V)
    Over a dozen 'fashion' watches from when I was young and foolish

If you are looking for field watches then you should take a look at Riseman (has altimeter and barometer) or any ProTrek such as the PRG-130/PRG-240 (has altimeter, barometer and compass but slightly less tough than G-Shocks).

As an EMT-B (not currently active) and having made the same considerations you have here is my personal take:

1) DW8400 Mudman, first generation. The buttons are fully covered with a resin/rubber membrane meaning there are no cracks or crevices for blood, throwup etc to get stuck or wedged behind. Bodily substance isolation in my mind is the most critical consideration for an emergency worker and this is the most superior model in regards to that aspect. that being said functionality could be better. does have stopwatch and 24hour countdown time which can be run in the background or on the mail screen all while displaying current time.

men in kahki mudman dw8400

men in black 2 mudman dw8400. the G Shock and "eye" bezel appear more sand tone in person than gold which i personally really like much better than black and gold.

The 9200ms Riseman. Full Auto EL backlight at night, critical when you don't have that second hand to press the light button at night due to managing a patient but still need to know heart rate, breathing rate etc. All you have to do is turn your wrist up to check the time and on goes the light. also has barometer, altimeter and thermometer. can also record ascent/descent times in conjunction with the bero reading i believe, not sure yet but plan to purchase. has stopwatch but not sure if it always displays current time? a riseman owner will have to chime in on that. it does have the auto updated time which is a plus when on that sort of a schedule. the bad is all the little crevasses for bodily fluids to get stick in and may find difficult to properly clean.
    riseman 9200 ms

i personally am a big G Shock fan for many reasons but for a rescue management worker i wonder if a Casio Pathfinder or ProTrek would not be a more professional piece of equipment? they are a bit more pricey but offer Thermo, Alti, Bero and compass which really is ideal in my mind. i know some of them are solar powered but i'm not exactly sure which models have the Auto EL backlight which you really do need, should be a first priority in my mind. hope this helps!

Hats off to all our emergency workers who faithfully and professionally deal with our "throw up and other bodily fluids" -- thanks for your hard work!

Another good suggestion would be the GDF 100. It has similar functions as the Riseman with thermometer, barometer, and altimeter as well as stopwatch, count down timer and multiple daily alarms. The display is clear and easy to read with large digits and time is shown in all functions and it also has automatic EL lumination with the flick of the wrist with VERY BRIGHT LEDs. When I first saw pictures, I was put off by this watch, but after seeing it in person and trying it on, I immediately fell in love with it. It's also very reasonably priced considering all it's capabilities.

Name:  GDF-100-1B.jpg
Views: 1297
Size:  19.7 KB

Name:  GDF-100-4.jpg
Views: 1333
Size:  20.6 KB
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

that is a good suggestion Tsip, hoping and waiting for more color options as those two didn't really grab me but i do enjoy the design very much. Honestly OP i've known medics that were in the field since before there were ambulances and they've gotten along just fine with a simple mechanical for all those years so it's really just what you like best. I think everyone here has had a bit of good advice for you though.

i agree with Tsip's suggestion, i just ordered myself one of the GDF-100's in red. for a g-shock to have altimeter, thermometer, barometer, countdown/stopwatch, 5 alarms, and everything else, its really not badly priced, and it's very striking in person. i also thought it was kind of ugly, but i tried on the black/orange one at Macy's and it's really nice. has large digits, and the digital "font" used is very cool, one of the nicest, easiest-to-read displays i've seen. red version is on the way to my house now, can't wait.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information