User configurable menus order
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: User configurable menus order

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    lvt

User configurable menus order

I haven't seen any G-shock with user configurable menus order or with alti/baro lock feature.

Is it technically impossible (1) or they are too lazy (2) ?

The first possibility is not convincing because the alti/baro lock is present in watches from other manufacturers (you know who).

And the menus order, I hope I could change the menus when the "mode" button is pressed, for example I want to enter stopwatch screen right after the main screen without having to press the same button for several times.

We are often talking about $300, $500 or even $1000 G-shock, but none of them has those basic features. A sub-$100 Casio scientific calculator can do ultra complex math operations, draw 3D vector illustrations....
    Ball - Casio / G-shock - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Seiko - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Re: User configurable menus order

I doubt it's impossible, but have wondered this myself. Casio moved at an extremely slow pace. Since the dw-5000c they have made good changes but changes that should have taken a couple of years not decades.
    Last edited by Fer Guzman; August 19th, 2013 at 07:09.

I'm sure it's technically possible. Menu order would be nice. You would think that in the 30+ years they could have done some fine tuning of their modules... It would be nice too if you could hide some menus. I basically never use a watch alarm, would be nice if I could hide it. One less button push to cycle through all the modes.
    Fer Guzman likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Definitely possible and most likely Casio being lazy, cheap, knowing they can get away with it, and a conservative mindset in growth all behind that. If you do an internet search for the smart watches available you can see that the technology to enable such basic functionality has been around for a while already. I wouldn't doubt Casio knows they can get away with just riding it out almost indefinitely with what they been doing for the past 5 years because there just isn't any real need to push the envelope with the electronics in quartz watches given the consumer expectation/demand and lack of competition (at least that I'm aware of).

I don't see much use in changing the mode order when you have to cycle through all of them anyway to get back to time-keeping. Plus there's lots of different Casios with different order of modes - should be something available for everbody's liking.
    On some Timex models you can hide modes btw.

Cheers, Sedi

lvt

My G-5600's menu is :

Main ==> World Time ==> Alarms ==> Stopwatch ==> Timer

The ideal menu order for me should be :

Main ==> Stopwatch ==> Timer ==> Alams ==> World Time (I don't travel 6 month a year so why I must see the world time every day ?).

My non-G Casio AQ-164 has the World Time exactly at the end of the menu

My GW-9200 has a longer menu :

Main ==> Baro / Temp ==> World Time ==> Stopwatch ==> Timer ==> Alarm ==> Alti Records (luckily this watch has a dedicated Alti button so the menu won't get even longer)

The ideal menu for this watch should be :

Main ==> Stopwatch ==> Timer ==> Alarms ==> Baro / Tem ==> Alti Records ==> World Time (why put the baro at next when I already have it on the main screen ? And Temperature, I have plenty of time to scroll to the Baro / Temp menu while waiting the temperature to be stable, says after 15 minutes).

Of course you should have your own menu but you get the idea.
    pdquist likes this.
    Ball - Casio / G-shock - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Seiko - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    I don't see much use in changing the mode order when you have to cycle through all of them anyway to get back to time-keeping. Plus there's lots of different Casios with different order of modes - should be something available for everbody's liking.
    On some Timex models you can hide modes btw.

Cheers, Sedi

They need innovation, for example a long press on [Mode] button (eg 3 sec + 1 quick press) should bring you back to the main menu, a longer press (5 sec) will activate / desactivate beeps... it's up to your imagination.

The interesting thing is that Casio made a couple of button sequences to bring up some test screen like screen test, tilt sensor test, solar test... while doing nothing to help you coming back to the main screen from within the menu ?!?

LUW

Stop complaining; we do have a bazillion versions of the 6900 in different colors.
    We don't need user-friendly modules.
    nigelw likes this.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by LUW View Post
    Stop complaining; we do have a bazillion versions of the 6900 in different colors.
    We don't need user-friendly modules.

LOL,

Speaking about the 6900, I've heard that with the 2nd generation GB-6900 (Bluetooth) you can change some settings of the watch from your computer, it should be cool if we could setup the watch without holding it physically.

LUW

From your computer or your phone?
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information