Using the CDT on a analog watch

Thread: Using the CDT on a analog watch

Using the CDT on a analog watch

Hi there, I have a question for those of you that have either the GS1300 or the GW2000 (I can't think of another all analog watch that has a 24hr cdt).

I need to use a coutdown timer on a fairly regular basis and was wondering how effective you found it to be on these watches. Is it much harder to set? How about reading the time left in mid-coutdown?

Am I better off with an ana-digi design? I seem to be having a tough time finding a nice watch with a 24hr cdt with at least an analog read.

I appreciate all the feedback?

Re: Using the CDT on a analog watch

The latest Casio analogue watches have messed up some features in an effort of technological 'upmanship', eg 1/100 sec stop watch which is a hard to read bit of gimmickry. Also, with no space left for a decent 24-hr or 12-hr elapsed time dial, we are stuck with a silly 24-minute chronograph!! Switching world times can be a pain as one has to wait for the dial needles to stop before selecting the next zone. All these features are available in a most user-friendly way on digital watches. My experience has been that count-down timer, stop-watch (1/100 sec), alarm and world time functions are best interpreted in digital windows.

All in all, the best bet is an ana-digi hybrid and Casio has some excellent ones in the G-Shock family.

I have a GW 2000 and the CDT is pretty easy to set up and works fine although I tend to view the final setting as there or thereabouts (ie to the nearest minute) as opposed to spot on accurate when I use my G 7710.

Takes longer to set the GW 2000 up than a dig but we are only talking very small amounts of time difference.

If you are using a CDT a lot or need it to be super accurate I'd go for dig or ana-dig.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've owned a couple of the 5-motor Casio models (G-Shock and Oceanus) and to be honest, I was a little disappointed. They're supposed to be fast at switching between modes but you still have to wait for the hands etc.

I much prefer a digital CDT although I have to admit, I mainly use my iPhone for this function as it beeps much louder than a watch.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Quote Originally Posted by simonsez View Post
    I need to use a coutdown timer on a fairly regular basis and was wondering how effective you found it to be on these watches. Is it much harder to set? How about reading the time left in mid-coutdown?
    much harder isn't the term i would use, lets just say it takes more time and is not that easy. reading the remaining time is also not as easy, since the 3 o'clock subdial (GW-2000) is a24h subdial and fairly small. so it doesn't work at a quick glance, you have to look longer and more carefully.

Am I better off with an ana-digi design? I seem to be having a tough time finding a nice watch with a 24hr cdt with at least an analog read.
    each to it's own, but that is exactly one of the reasons why i gave up one chronographs and ana-digis. an analog watch simply works best as a three hands watch. hour, minutes, seconds hands, day, date and probably a diver bezel - thats it. lately i found that i even don't care for the bezel anymore. if i want functionality, i go with a full digital. easy to use, easy to set up, easy to read and no hands covering the digits when you need them.

still, if you are desperately seeking an ana-digi with 24h timer the SPF-60 sea pathfinder might be worth a look. i wrote a full review on one of them couple years ago, in case you want to check it out, here is the link:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=154845

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

I own a GW-2000BD. It is considerably less convenient than a digital, not so much to set (I find) but to read elapsed time (that small sub-dial).

It does work, but it is not really comparable to a digital - there is a sacrifice of function over form on the analogue watch.

Thread Information