UTC off by one hour with atomic calibration...

Thread: UTC off by one hour with atomic calibration...

UTC off by one hour with atomic calibration...

Hello, new to this forum and to the G-Shock. I'm sure there's a simple answer to my question so please be gentle.

I just purchased a GW-7900B1. I live in Las Vegas so I set my home city to LAX. I manually calibrated it but it has also auto calibrated since. I noticed my time for both UTC and London is +7 hours instead of the expected +8. The other cities are correct - at least the ones I'm familiar with like Chicago and New York. The local DST settings are verified and correct.

So, the times for UTC and London (and maybe other cities as well) as indicated currently by the GW-7900 are incorrect, as in off by one hour.

Anyone have any idea how to correct this issue? Thanks in advance.
    -JP

Re: UTC off by one hour with atomic calibration...

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new aquisition, a fine choice

It sounds like DST is off. To let DST adjust on atomic sync you need to set it to 'auto'.

Quote Originally Posted by ReL-251 View Post
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new aquisition, a fine choice

It sounds like DST is off. To let DST adjust on atomic sync you need to set it to 'auto'.
    Thanks for the reply! The watch was set to DST AUTO and still is. I reset it just to be sure so on the next sync it should correct the WTs and I realized that's the problem. When I scroll to UTC, London and many other cities in the database, the DST in the display goes away, however, for cities like Chicago and New York the DST stays up and the times for these cities is correct.

So the problem is the watch is not showing DST for all the cities including UTC and London. If it doesn't correct itself next auto sync I'll have to try and figure out how to force DST on the World Timer. Does this make sense? Thanks again.
    -JP

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Update - Re: UTC off by one hour with atomic calibration...

The watch has synced again and many cities are still showing incorrect time. The bottom line, the watch doesn't seem to recognize DST for many of the cities in Europe such as London. If the watch displayed +7 for UTC, which it currently does, and +8 for London, which it does not, I would be OK with that concept. Unfortunately it does not work that way. It simply does not show DST for the European cities even though it recognizes the correct date. It's as if the watch thinks it's still winter in Europe...

London, Paris, Madrid and Rome just to name a few are all showing standard time

There must be a way to correct this...

Yes, there's an easy way to correct this. If you look in the manual under the "world time" section, you'll see that the DST for the world time zones must be adjusted manually. You will toggle DST on or off, depending on the time of year you are setting it.

Quote Originally Posted by dead of night View Post
    Yes, there's an easy way to correct this. If you look in the manual under the "world time" section, you'll see that the DST for the world time zones must be adjusted manually. You will toggle DST on or off, depending on the time of year you are setting it.
    Yes, thank you! I actually just finished reading another thread that explains this issue. And thanks for being gentle when pointing out the answer is in the manual
    -JP

Seem like the GW7900B-1 the "first purchase G" for new posters. There should be (if there isn't already) a FAQ just for this watch. Perhaps "Everything About Your New GW7900B-1 You Weren't Afraid To Ask" as the title.
    2013: Android AD576BK Divemaster Espionage 2 | Vostok Amphibian 710059 | Vostok Amphibian 710634 | Vostok Amphibian 710526 | Momentum Base Layer (sapphire)
    2014: Maranez Layan | Vostok Amphibian 09013M | Casio MDV106-1A

2015: Vostok Amphibian 100657 | Vostok Amphibian 420914

Quote Originally Posted by jpshark View Post
    Yes, thank you! I actually just finished reading another thread that explains this issue. And thanks for being gentle when pointing out the answer is in the manual
    -JP
    You're welcome. It's a good feeling to know your G Shock is set up and working right. I had the same situation as you and was relieved to find that the manual addressed the issue and I could make things right with the toggle of a button.

Enjoy your "steath rescue". It still is one of the best packaged G's available.
    Don't panic if you come across posts about the screws falling out of the bezel: I think it's a very rare occurrence. However, don't play with them with a Torx driver as they are really rivets.
    2013: Android AD576BK Divemaster Espionage 2 | Vostok Amphibian 710059 | Vostok Amphibian 710634 | Vostok Amphibian 710526 | Momentum Base Layer (sapphire)
    2014: Maranez Layan | Vostok Amphibian 09013M | Casio MDV106-1A

2015: Vostok Amphibian 100657 | Vostok Amphibian 420914

Thread Information