Value of discontinued models?

Thread: Value of discontinued models?

Value of discontinued models?

Hello, all. I've recently become a big fan of the Gulfman GW-9100MB-1JF (the matte black one with the orange eye) but apparently, now that it's discontinued, it's outrageously expensive. So is it normal for discontinued models to triple - if not quadruple - in value? Or is it just certain models? I'm especially confused because just the other day I saw a discontinued Gulfman GW-9100-1 on eBay go for a measly buy-it-now price of $55. I was ready to jump on it, but I hesitated and lost out on what I now think might have been a fantastic value on a rare watch! Argh!

Re: Value of discontinued models?

Prices are really unstable when it comes to g-shocks... You have to seriously search around for best price for used and discontinued models.

For example, I bought my G-5500TS-8 for 100 €, now if there is one on ebay it's usually $300+.

So it's best to get one while you still can (as they say), because you never know what will happen to prices after that...

I think same will happen to King GX-56 in a year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Crater View Post
    Prices are really unstable when it comes to g-shocks... You have to seriously search around for best price for used and discontinued models.

For example, I bought my G-5500TS-8 for 100 €, now if there is one on ebay it's usually $300+.

So it's best to get one while you still can (as they say), because you never know what will happen to prices after that...

I think same will happen to King GX-56 in a year or so.
    And it's already happening to some Mudman....both versions of the GW-9330 and 9300GY particularly.

but other times they drop in price... Like the Aviator GW-3000M if one shops carefully.

Good, honest pictures of a watch help when selling, so buyers see what they are getting, particularly pre-owned watches. There is a GY available on f29, but the pictures aren't good.
    Last edited by yankeexpress; October 9th, 2013 at 16:01.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Quote Originally Posted by MattyB;6858143[COLOR=#333333
    So is it normal for discontinued models to triple - if not quadruple - in value? Or is it just certain models? [/COLOR]
    It's just certain models. It's often directly tied to supply, coupled with desirability. Sometimes a limited release isn't so hotly received and thus... despite being uncommon it doesn't stop the value from receding. However, the MIMB series (Mudman, Riseman, Gulfman) was not released in large numbers because it was JDM and Europe only, and based on posts here they were very desirable. Even within Japan, the resale value of these is high when they appear on the used market. I got my MIMB Gulfman from someone in the USA who had originally bought it from a Japanese retailer but decided to let go of it in early 2012. Timing was on my side--I nearly missed it. It had a worn strap, so it went for a bit less than it would have in mint condition.

So... the regular market release of other models, like the more common GW-9100-1, are fairly easy to find. But this also depends a lot upon condition. A well worn GW-9100 could go for as low as $55, but one in excellent condition can go for $70~100.

There were a few other black theme motifs like the Garrish Black and Men in Smoky Gray, but their resale prices are high--just about what they were when new. Considering those prices, if you're warming up to the look of the Rangeman, I'd wait for a black themed version of it. Given the enthusiastic reception of the Rangeman, I've no doubt there will be a number of themes produced for it over time.
    Last edited by xevious; October 9th, 2013 at 18:55.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

yep, the GX-56 positive display model (1b) is already getting expensive and tougher to find. The neg. display (1a) still $130-ish on amazon
    Steve in Florida, USA

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    the MIMB series (Mudman, Riseman, Gulfman) was not released in large numbers because it was JDM and Europe only
    I saw in the thread you recently started on the MIMBs that this line was produced for less than a year(!), so I guess that - and the limited markets it was released in - really explains the value and rarity of these watches. I guess I have to start saving up my money.

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post

There were a few other black theme motifs like the Garrish Black and Men in Smoky Gray, but their resale prices are high--just about what they were when new. Considering those prices, if you're warming up to the look of the Rangeman, I'd wait for a black themed version of it. Given the enthusiastic reception of the Rangeman, I've no doubt there will be a number of themes produced for it over time.
    The Men in Smoky Gray Mudman is at the top of my want list, but the prices are really high on those.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

^ I have to admit that it's an educated guess that the production was for just one year. From what I'd seen in the subsequent G-Shock catalog posted on-line the MIMB series didn't appear in the following year. But yeah, with the distribution never reaching the USA the total numbers was significantly handicapped.

I have to say in my opinion that the Riseman version is OK, but there have been a number of very similar looking stealth variants made afterward. So it's still possible to get a stealthy looking Riseman without paying a MIMB premium. To me, the Mudman and the Gulfman are the more appealing MIMB models. I've seen more of the Mudman version appear for sale than the Gulfman.... so that's probably the one to look for. The only downside with the Mudman G(W)-9010 model is that some people complained about the raised bumps on the back of the casing being an irritant and the buttons were known to be very hard to press (due to the one piece bezel/button cover). But then it is functionally more endowed than the Gulfman (Mudman has a rally timer and CDT is up to 24 hrs, unlike the Gulfman capped at 60 mins).
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Thread Information