Vintage DW-5200 Refurbishment
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Vintage DW-5200 Refurbishment

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vintage DW-5200 Refurbishment

This time is "hero" watch which saves g-shock production line from extinction.
    Looking good with minor scratches on mineral glass, comes with discolored bezel and original replacement band.
    Name:  DSCN1173.JPG
Views: 414
Size:  141.7 KB
    Perform brief cleaning with 70% alcohol. Rust is observable on bezel screws end, and I dare not attempt to remove by force, sometimes it is good to keep it the way it looks, don't you agree?
    Name:  DSCN1180.JPG
Views: 341
Size:  113.4 KB
    I replace all rubber seals from a DW5600E. These pushbuttons from DW-5200 can be inter-switched between DW5600E, except for the "adjust" pushbutton which is smaller than DW5600E.
    Name:  DSCN1181.JPG
Views: 337
Size:  68.5 KB
    Then I submerge in water to see if waterproof is still applicable to the watch. 10 minutes passed, no sign of water seen in the watch.
    Name:  DSCN1191.JPG
Views: 326
Size:  94.4 KB
    Finally, DW-5200 in its brazillian bezel & band look:
    Name:  DSCN1193.JPG
Views: 344
Size:  103.2 KB

There is one more thing, I use sand papers try to remove scratches from the mineral glass, and results are terrible--> even more scratches.
    Can somebody please share what type of abrasives are suitable to remove scratches from this watch? Thank you.
    Last edited by zeroencore; October 9th, 2013 at 20:06.
    marcoszam likes this.

Re: Vintage DW-5200 Refurbishment

Wow, those scratches indeed look terrible. I hope you find a way to remove them.

did our legendary Kung Fusion use Diamond paste to remove scratches in his refurbishments ?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sandpaper won't polish the crystal, you will need to use cerium oxide powder mixed with water to polish the crystal to crystal-clear. Use sandpaper to pile down crystal until scratches disappear, make sure you use very fine sandpaper right before you polish with cerium. Diamond paste works too but a lot more expensive than cerium oxide.

i'm using cerium oxide too, and its definitely working, but its a lot of work. don't expect for it to work fast.

it's taking me days to fix my hero and an old gold speed, but the scratches are slowly disappearing

Tremendous job, Mate!

A hard and delicate work but explained simply and practically.

Enjoy it, wear it well and be very proud of your endeavor.

Cheers,
    Marcos :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
    Vade_R likes this.

Awesome!
    seiko · orient · citizen · casio · timex · rolex · omega · victorinox · apple watch

Children need your help. Please share your blessings...
    GiveDirect -
    https://www.givedirectly.org/
    UNICEF - http://
    www.unicefusa.org
    CARITAS -
    http://www.caritas.org/
    NO KID HUNGRY -
    http://www.nokidhungry.org/
    Save The Children - http://www.savethechildren.org/

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

People are saying "sandpaper" but I think it's better to say "micromesh"... which refers to the much finer abrasion types and doesn't involve "sand".

Yeah, to get rid of those deeper scratches you need to shear off a fine layer of the crystal... so you start with one degree of abrasive material and slowly work your way down to the cerium oxide paste.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy_G-shock View Post
    Sandpaper won't polish the crystal, you will need to use cerium oxide powder mixed with water to polish the crystal to crystal-clear. Use sandpaper to pile down crystal until scratches disappear, make sure you use very fine sandpaper right before you polish with cerium. Diamond paste works too but a lot more expensive than cerium oxide.
    My gratitude for your detailed information!

Quote Originally Posted by Vade_R View Post
    i'm using cerium oxide too, and its definitely working, but its a lot of work. don't expect for it to work fast.

it's taking me days to fix my hero and an old gold speed, but the scratches are slowly disappearing
    I have spent 4 hours in refurbishing this watch. No rush, just watching it disappear slowly is a good enough reason for me to conduct polishing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information