Vintage lovers – has anyone found a way to preserve the plastic badge on a Velcro band?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Tetsu Tekubi
  • 1 Post By Crater

Thread: Vintage lovers – has anyone found a way to preserve the plastic badge on a Velcro band?

Vintage lovers – has anyone found a way to preserve the plastic badge on a Velcro band?

I usually tend to go for the ones in better condition but recently picked up a dw004 for its colourway. Bezel/module is in good condition but the patch/badge on the band has succumbed to the dreaded cracking and has started to disintegrate.
    The easiest option would be just to cut my losses and remove the badge all together at the cost of having a spot on the band that looks brand new.
    Second easiest option would be to just buy a new band (and it would prob look good with a black one) but the band will cost as much as the watch and im trying to keep any spare cash for those illusive camos on the horizon! This is also the thinner plastic badge not the thick one like on 9550’s. the other repop ones tend to be an embroided version.

So instead I thought id try a bit of paint to squeeze a little extra wear out of it before going with the complete removal :

1. I gently pressed around the badge with a toothpick to see if there were any weak spots or bits that were ready to flake off, most was intact bar one bit that had already broke off recently (possibly during the sale/shipping transaction) and a corner that flaked off when I was pressing.
    2. With that corner bit I just used a general all purpose water resistant glue to stick it back into place
    3. Then I masked off the badge and hit it with a clear satin acrylic. If it was newer I probably would’ve went with a semi gloss.
      before:

after:
    4. I laid down about 8 coats to give it a good thick layer to hold everything together. Could’ve probably gone a few more but I wanted to keep some of the raised embossing.
    5. The crack that went straight thru is on a flex point so it was never going to repair that but the small hair line ones and flakes around that area are all now held into place. You can also just make out the thickness of the coat by how little the “G SHOCK” embossing is raised now.

on wrist, not the best photo to highlight the work i did! lol

still looks a bit ratty but at least i know it has a bit more of a chance if i catch it on clothes or bump against something.

One thing I did find after is that I prob should have left a very slight curve in the band to match how it would sit once its on my wrist. This is a trade off tho cos having the bend exposes the cracks and stretches the not so flexible (anymore) plastic, but if you can get it to bend slightly or stay in its “when worn” position, I recommend laying it over a coke can or something when painting.
    Im also thinking a bit of glue under the cracked-right-thru bits might help keep it in place
    Ideally tho I think i need to find some sort of clear latex spray to prevent it from flaking apart in the first place!

Anyone else tried or have any ideals for preservation/restoration?
    Crater, nigelw and Ottovonn like this.
    One struck by lightning is not the same as by a baseball or cabbage.

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

Re: Vintage lovers – has anyone found a way to preserve the plastic badge on a Velcro band?

Always good to preserve something and make it last a bit more I haven't had a strap like that before, but I can easly imagine this badge would crack during years, it gets harder and stiffer, like resin.
    nigelw likes this.

Re: Vintage lovers – has anyone found a way to preserve the plastic badge on a Velcro band?

agreed. even tho its on the outside of my arm and barely visible i ended up spending a good part of the day at my desk looking at it from diff. angles thinking what i should do lol
    got a few looks while out shopping tonight but i wasnt sure if it was because the watch was a bit unique or that they were noticing the ratty badge, i was so self conscious :p

might see how it goes after a few wears, tho i think ill prob end up just removing it and maybe weathering the band a bit to blend the "tan lines"
    One struck by lightning is not the same as by a baseball or cabbage.

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

Thread Information