Vive Le Difference!

Thread: Vive Le Difference!

Vive Le Difference!

Hello, I've been lurking for a while on these forums and you guys have got me hooked on G-Shock! I've got a question for you guys and I hope you can help.

So, I currently own a Tag Heuer 2000 Automatic. It's a great watch and has served me well for the last 13 years (well, apart from needing regular servicing and having a strap that needs replacing every 2yrs!) and so the time has come for me to look at something new.

My first thought was an Omega Seamaster (stick with me here...) but then my finances took a tumble somewhat, and now I'm looking for something tough that can handle day to day abuse from work, play and whatever my 2 young sons care to throw at me (usually they throw each other).

So, that brings me to a G-Shock.

I initially liked the look of a G9000-1V but then spotted the tough solar ranges and tbh, no batteries and no need to wind or wear to keep the watch running is very appealing. Then I saw the GW9000-1A - hooray! Not going to be sold in England , boo!

Then I noticed that the GW-810 range was essentially the same watch, with different styling. So, my basic question (finally getting to the point!!) is, can anyone tell me what the differences are, apart from appearance and price, between the GW-810D-1VER, GW-810BXD-1ER, and GW-810BD-1ER?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

EG

Re: Vive Le Difference!

Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

As the page below suggests, the differences are purely cosmetic.

You will find a better price by looking overseas.

http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/wat.../gw-810bd-1er/
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Hi there! Thank you for your reply. I will definitely be looking overseas!

It seems strange that purely cosmetic differences can result in different prices. o_O

Oh well, thanks again!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Quote Originally Posted by El_Generale View Post
    So, my basic question (finally getting to the point!!) is, can anyone tell me what the differences are, apart from appearance and price, between the GW-810D-1VER, GW-810BXD-1ER, and GW-810BD-1ER?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

EG
    bon jour el-generale

the GW-810BD is the all black model with yellowish/amber display. whatever you planning to do, do NOT buy this watch by all means. I had it for about a week and the legibility was the worst I have ever seen on any digital watch.

the other two GW models have a greyish/silver display which is the complete oppsite: very well to read and among the best negative displays I have seen to date. however, also the very vest negative display is always harder to read than a positive one. so if you want 5 band atomic and solar power you should probably consider the GW-800 series as well, which have the same features but a positive display instead and a less cluttered one too:

http://www.casio.com/products/Timepi.../GW800_Series/

regards, holger

Guten tag, Holger.

Thank you for your opinion regarding the GW-810BD. Although I think it is the better looking model of the GW-810 family, I hadn't considered the legibility of the display. I will certainly consider the GW-800 series as well.

Danke schön

EG

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

hi el,

I know what you mean. I also was very attracted by the all-black finish (i just love black watches) and its stealthy look. trouble with pictures is, they are often very inaccurate and not trustworthy. even more troubelsome that nowhere is mentioned that the GW-810 series has different display colours, so - unfortunately - I had it to find out the hard way. the problem on the black model is the contrast: yellow digits and black background doesn't work together very well, it is so dim, that I permanentely was forced to use the light button under just regular light conditions. only when bright sunlight hits the display the results are great, so I guess this is a outdoor watch for sunny days

here is a german ebay auction on which you can see the yellowish digits pretty good:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Casio-G-Shock-Kin...QQcmdZViewItem

like I wrote the silver/greyish display of the other GW watches make a day and night difference, the GW-810H with blue bezel and resin strap is a very nice model too.

regards, holger

Wink Re: Vive Le Difference!

Hi El,

Normally I would say I love the GW-9000 more, since I am a bit of a resin lover, but the GW-810BD in Holgers link is looking very good. They are basicly the same watch (feature wise).

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Thanks for the input Sjors.

As an update, I tried a G9000 on today and a GW810. The G9000 fits me much better as I have tiny wrists. The idea of playing with lots of links to get a good fit is putting me off the GW810. Looks like I'll go for the ease of the GW9000. Now to find a good price overseas!

EG

Thread Information